Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

This one almost disappeared, but it was retrieved from the donation bag.  

Whenever I ask my wife what I should wear somewhere, and she says “whatever you want!”, I will put this on.  

Then I can say “Oh, you really didn’t mean whatever!”😂😂

I kept two shirts that we wanted me to get rid of until a few weeks ago.

4 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Maryann, although I never worked as a cashier, the rest was my life!

Once I couldn't babysit for my neighbor so my mom agreed to sit.  When my neighbor came back home she said her kitchen was never so spotless, kids clean and sleeping.

My first job out of HS, while I took classes at night at CCNY, was at John Hancock Insurance on 42nd and 6th Ave.

Remember when I asked if you ever knew Barbara K.who lived at 530D and you said no but we’re going to ask your older sister ? Barbara was an evening student at CCNY.

4 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

The food that was shown looked like it came from a specialty restaurant, very artfully displayed but it was included in the cruise fare.  

Many moons ago I worked for an advertising company.  Presentation was everything.

I had 16 full time jobs in my life.Several were quite unusual that became subject of cruise conversations when people at lunch asked “what did you do before retiring ?”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

I worked at Abraham and Strauss for a few years in IT , the cool thing was it was walking distance from where I lived in Brooklyn. They also gave us a discount on anything we would buy and increased the discount around Christmas time, bought several TVs and other things for family  . 

That used to be a great location.  I remember shopping with my mom, stopping at McRory's  to have a hot belgian waffle ice cream sandwich made fresh in the store. Such wonderful, yummy memories.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

I worked at Bohacks on Forest Avenue now Keyfood.  I babysat from seventh grade on and went to Manhattan after high school.

Just think. You, me, Maryann, Lenny, could have worked in the same area at the same time.  Given where we all wound up, it's amazing.  And the 3 of us gals started to babysit around the same age but then in those days most girls did.

• Like 4

I worked at Abraham and Strauss for a few years in IT , the cool thing was it was walking distance from where I lived in Brooklyn. They also gave us a discount on anything we would buy and increased the discount around Christmas time, bought several TVs and other things for family  . 

I never worked anywhere where I got a discount but I worked for a book binding company and on Fridays we were given rejects,as many as we could carry.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

That used to be a great location.  I remember shopping with my mom, stopping at McRory's  to have a hot belgian waffle ice cream sandwich made fresh in the store. Such wonderful, yummy memories.

I remember that too .You could also get that at Woolworths.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Just think. You, me, Maryann, Lenny, could have worked in the same area at the same time.  Given where we all wound up, it's amazing.  And the 3 of us gals started to babysit around the same age but then in those days most girls did.

I spent a lot of time in Staten Island .I used to take my kids to the zoo,to Clove Lake Park,Silver Lake Park,Richmond  Restoration..

The camp that you were a camper in and I was an Asst.Counselor,etc.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I worked in all 5 boroughs and all over Manhattan.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

There was a bar a couple of blocks from there which had poker games in the rear ,  interesting group of people from judges to cops to crooks in the game, the Brooklyn court was right in the area. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I don't know Sharon Avenue.  Charlie lived right at the beginning of the St. Patrick's Day Parade!

Hart Blvd. and Forest Avenue.  Jim marched with the Fire Department every year.  I marched one year with the Ladies Hibernians just prior to moving to New Jersey.

Did Jim come from a family of Firemen ?I had a friend named Raymond C.His father and 3 brothers were Fireman and he always said that it was “written in stone “ that he follow them.

• Like 1

Amelia Island has 2 big events every year. The Concours d’Elegance car show in March and the Shrimp Festival in May. For the last 2 Mays, the shrimp festival has been cancelled due to Covid.  The organizing committee therefore decided to hold a “Falling for Shrimp” festival this weekend. Fun time today with live music, lots of food, and lots of booths filled with art, jewelry, and various knick knacks. 
F4AF9E24-D2EC-4E7A-9B86-83C64AC434CF.thumb.jpeg.21dcf3738b43031ab4a21ea906c53a40.jpeg

54610096-121C-4E84-A0AD-BCCAC9864651.thumb.jpeg.1ac222c55a85fe4abd1896bbfd413925.jpeg

169F4D11-1C5C-4EE5-9CC1-C6F245179127.thumb.jpeg.01a1c9aef7f7f256ecbd673a74d0c37a.jpeg

9675ADFF-D686-4AEE-B708-A3CAFB8BF0D5.thumb.jpeg.edd9b2a2746f458a68d305c089dbbf37.jpeg

467F8A21-3586-44F7-8CF9-544E63DEE484.thumb.jpeg.837ff6374a12e53f262b99503a2acee6.jpeg

1AA551C8-AF23-4C89-AEED-3B2B95735C9C.thumb.jpeg.516247ee77e7ddf2ab60a50c8fa9a123.jpeg

• Like 12

33 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My mother had a cousin who was a Waiter at Ratners.

There was a joke that the waiters carried bowls of mushroom barley soup with their thumbs inside the bowl and that's why their soup tasted so good. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

There was a joke that the waiters carried bowls of mushroom barley soup with their thumbs inside the bowl and that's why their soup tasted so good. 🤣

I never heard that one but whenever my wife and I ate there she would have the mushroom barley soup.😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

A&S, Abraham and Strauss in downtown Brooklyn was always my favorite dept. store.  I was saddened when they finally folded, including the Paramus NJ store I used to frequent.

I loved A&S in Woodbridge.  They had such beautiful clothes for my daughters.  The store had great sales on their clothing.  I also appreciated the no sales tax on clothes, and gas prices were cheaper in NJ.  That is, until we moved to NJ!  We weren't here a week, when the Governor raised the tax on gasoline here.  We couldn't believe it!!!🧐

24 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Amelia Island has 2 big events every year. The Concours d’Elegance car show in March and the Shrimp Festival in May. For the last 2 Mays, the shrimp festival has been cancelled due to Covid.  The organizing committee therefore decided to hold a “Falling for Shrimp” festival this weekend. Fun time today with live music, lots of food, and lots of booths filled with art, jewelry, and various knick knacks. 

I wish I could get your movie to play.  We just found out a friend of ours is retiring early and is moving to Amelia Island.  She posted earlier today from that festival.  I just combed your pictures for them but didn't see them.  It would be funny if they ended up in some of your pictures.  Looks like it was a fun time.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

There was a bar a couple of blocks from there which had poker games in the rear ,  interesting group of people from judges to cops to crooks in the game, the Brooklyn court was right in the area. 

Are you referring to Downtown Brooklyn?  I can't think of the name of the street where I had to go for finger printing when I began to work for the NYC Bd. of Ed.  I also was called for Jury Duty at the Federal Courthouse in Brooklyn.  

59 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Did Jim come from a family of Firemen ?I had a friend named Raymond C.His father and 3 brothers were Fireman and he always said that it was “written in stone “ that he follow them.

No, not at all!  It's funny though.  There were several firemen with the same exact name as Jim, so his paycheck always had his full name, with the #2 next to his name.😊

• Like 1

Today was our 39th wedding anniversary we usually cruise to celebrate but not this year. I am still home zooming the 2 grandkids while their parents work. Our next cruise is in January with Disney but we will probably switch that to 2023. We will finally be cruising August 2022 on the Oasis out of Jersey. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Are you referring to Downtown Brooklyn?  I can't think of the name of the street where I had to go for finger printing when I began to work for the NYC Bd. of Ed.  I also was called for Jury Duty at the Federal Courthouse in Brooklyn.  

I was a juror on the first ever terrorist trial in that court.

• Like 2