Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

16 hours ago, jagsfan said:

When I had my 2 surgeries and everything went wrong, after the surgery to repair the first one, I got unbearable abdominal pain a few days later. 
 So bad I begged the nurse to call my doctor. She refused because it was already evening. I waited for the next shift and begged for pain medicine. The answer was no, that I had had it already. 

It was a gas bubble! It hurt so bad if I’d had a gun I wouldn’t be here today. 
I had never heard of such a thing. 
So if chewing gum will prevent it, I’ll chew a pack every hour!

No wonder you are apprehensive about you surgery this coming week, Mimi.  I would be too, but we all know you've got this, kid!!!!  God Bless.🙏

16 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Cracker Barrel has lots of nostalgia candy/gum including Black Jack (blue and black wrapper), Teaberry my favorite in sort of mauve wrapper.  I used to visit the Cracker Barrel near me just to meander in the store without having a meal.

My sister's 1962 HS class is planning another reunion!

Fabulous art.  Your balcony could be an art gallery! 

Growing up, every kid had to have a Spalding rubber ball.  It bounced the highest!

image 0 of "SPALDEEN" HI-BOUNCE BALL?

I love Cracker Barrel!

My older sister also graduated in 1962.  After her 50th Reunion, a group of the girls who live in the tri-state area get together for lunch quite often.  My sister lives in Arizona, so she can only stay in touch on FB.

I lived on a hill with one side of the street having a tall wall with stairwells for every two homes.  We surely put our Spaldings to good use, between the walls and the stairwells!

15 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Thanks!  Everyone was out on their balconies taking pictures of this-  all probably thinking the same thing...like...geez....just how bad is this gonna be??  Luckily, very little rain or wind came from it despite the rather foreboding look of it. 

Your pictures are beautiful.  

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

No. All are DH. I'm more into needle work 😉

An old shaving machine

20200618_111346.jpg

Time

שעון.jpg

Chunk of woods found in garbage

20201017_102344.jpg

20201017_102830.jpg

Man + woman = kid

20210701_075659.jpg

Awesome artwork, Dani!

5 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Any decent FLL pre cruise hotel recommendations? We are getting very tired of the Renaissance and the Embassy suites rooms on 17th street is turning into a chemistry lab with mould and musty odor.

I was checking for February. Drive down from Orlando on day of? Thoughts appreciated. 

What cruise are you doing in February?  We'll be on the Silhouette on February 25th, first cruise for us since November 2019.  Ironically, it was also on the Silhouette.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Your husband has an artistic and creative eye that sees "beyond the box". 

"Beyond the box" is the key word... 😉

Many years ago he applied for membership in our city "Artist's Union" (איגוד אומני הרצליה).

A very "high-level" delegation of 5 members descended upon our humble abode, and checked meticulously the "art gallery".

After a week, he got the reply: "Nope", not accepted....

Through someone who knew someone, we "understood" the reason for the rejection: He doesn't have ONE style.... he's painting, he's sculpting, he's etching.... so THEY couldn't find a "box" to put him in.... ☹️

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

Wow Dani, your husband has a real eye for art and design. Is he self taught?

I love having some of her work on our walls. This is one of my favourite 

Yes he is.

The work is beautiful.

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

This is a lap blanket I made for when it is chilly and a shawl I knit.

The quilt was made by my great aunt.  I am not that talented.

25 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I say you are very talented!  The detail on the shawl is beautiful🤩

100% with @Sunshine3601. Absolutely love the intricate pattern of the shawl.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@dani negreanu Thanks for posting the Art.  Your husband is very creative. Sharon and I went to a craft store, Hobby Lobby, last night.  As I looked around I was thinking how I wanted to start doing some artwork with my grandson Caden.  It would be fun to get his creative juices going.  

You'll be making such great memories with Caden!  I love Hobby Lobby.  

Btw, I found out about 2 years or so ago, that my cousin Gene is the Santa Claus face on HL's Christmas stuff...crazy, huh?

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Having lunch today with 4 or my bestie TX friends. Taylor Swift is not the only one with a girl squad!

Have a great time, Bonnie!

The daughter of a friend of ours recently donated most of her mom's teacups to a Tea Room in Belmar, after her mom Mary passed away this past year.  We are trying to get a group of us together to go have tea and crumpets there, and will be asking to use Mary's cups for our tea.

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

No, he donates or carries out a work for a worthy cause, without monetary compensation.

For example, he's done this for the fight against sexual violence [people not talking about it], or for peace among our neighbors and us.

Both pieces sold very well 😁

IMG_8404.thumb.JPG.85de7ec80846f316459e790cd2892c46.JPG

IMG_9344.jpg

Wow, Dani, just Wow!  You must be so very proud of your DH.

I could never do the needlework that your have done.  Beautiful!

24 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

we generally arrive after 4 and leave the next morning all I really want generally is a clean room, comfortable bed and near some restaurants.

That's pretty much what Jim and I have been doing for the past couple of years.

Speaking of which....I really hate going from 95 across 10 to 75.  Has there been any improvement to I-4 construction??  I much prefer going through I-4, cutting down how far we will be on 75.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I'll mention Estelle to my sister again.  This time I have a last name.  My sister didn't go to her past reunion, I doubt she'll go to this one.  Big expense with airfare, hotels, food. etc.  She won't fly in the near future because of covid but it's still in the talking stage anyway.

Having lunch today with 4 or my bestie TX friends. Taylor Swift is not the only one with a girl squad!

I just got an e-mail from a friend living in Oregon.His sister who left Long Island 25 years ago to move to Israel with her 7 children and their families found a picture a few days ago of she,her brother and me from Brighton Beach when we were very little kids.It brought back wonderful memories.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks.

When we lived in Brussels, I've done a lot of knitting. Here, being very warm, knitting is much less popular....

I assume it's called "croix embroidery"? I've chosen the most difficult one....

arab.jpg

Arab1.jpg

Toby used to do needlework .We have several framed and hanging in our living room.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Was that Dorney park or maybe The Great Allentown Fair with hospital across the street?

Yes,it was.I have brochures and pictures from when we were there.We have passed through the area several times but that was the only time we have been there.My niece (married to my nephew) grew up in Bucks County ,PA went there many times as a child.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@dani negreanu Thanks for posting the Art.  Your husband is very creative. Sharon and I went to a craft store, Hobby Lobby, last night.  As I looked around I was thinking how I wanted to start doing some artwork with my grandson Caden.  It would be fun to get his creative juices going.  

Prior to becoming a school teacher my older daughter was an Illustrator of children’s books.When my granddaughter Mallory now 13 was 7 my daughter enrolled her in a children’s art school that meets on Saturdays.

There are Mallory paintings all over their house.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

This brings back memories of living in the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area.  We used to ski at Camelback.  I remember going to a week long training course in the Pocono Manor Hotel, one of the large, ornate (at least at the time) old school Pocono resorts.  It was sometime during the fall...between seasons...and we literally had the entire resort to ourselves.  No other guests.  It was a little creepy.  Reminded me of The Shining (here's Johnny!).  Looks like the Pocono Manor is currently closed.  Hopefully, that's just a short term Covid thing.

When I was a lot younger and healthier we would go with a group of friends to upstate NY to engage in every winter activitity other than snowing at least once every winter.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MJSailors said:

I have been having trouble signing in today. Frustrating as I wanted to reply to a few posts here.

Hopefully, this will post !

Dani- So glad that you could get together with your friends for a delicious lunch.

As we get older, seems that life long friends become even more cherished.

BonTexasNY- Yes, Cracker Barrel has a lot of “nostalgia” candy. My DH and I frequented CB during our drives to and from NY - Fl. I would like to see one on LI,but so far nothing. There are a few in Connecticut though. 

Teabury gum- do you remember the Teabury Shuffle ?

We also played with the Spaulding balls, were they called Pinkies ? Not sure.

We said that exact A my name is Alice etc game also. Used it with the ball and also with jump rope. I think we almost had the same childhood !

Islandlady- You and Bucky find the most scenic rentals either on the Right or Left 

Coast! Do you go through VRBO or AirB&B ? Enjoy your stay in that pretty place.

Graham- As always, you and Pauline are looking good ! Pleased that you could share a lovely dinner with your dear niece and her BFF .

Lenny- Kudos to your two daughters for choosing a teaching career. It is not always easy, but the good days are worth the effort.

I retired with a thirty- five year teaching career ,teaching in both parochial and public schools in NYC and here in Eastern LI. Enjoyed it very much,but in my retirement, I don’t miss the bureaucracy, but I  do miss the students.

To all the other posters here, I hope you are feeling safe and loved today !

Take care,

MJ🙋🏻

We played with Pensie Pink balls.The majority of our friends are either retired teachers or retired police officers,usually one of each.Only one friend had a child who became a police officer but many of the children where at least one parent was a teacher became teachers.When Toby was in college the norm for a female was to become either a teacher or get married.Her sister became a Social Worker and made that her career.

Toby started out as a Social Worker,then left to work for NYS and after our second daughter was born she went back to college and became an RN .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, island lady said:

AA gave us crappy "vending machine" snacks only in their first class.   

At least Delta gave us a choice of three meals, prepacked in a nice box.   Light meals, but I had a decent chicken salad, and Bucky had a yummy Italian sandwich for lunch.  The snacks were also added...but as an extra.  Plenty of adult beverages and way better attentive service.   

Still not even close to what it used to be pre-Covid...but at least Delta is doing a better job.  

Thanks. We like to fly Delta. We're in Minneapolis which is their hub so we can get a lot of non-stop flights.

Odd that snacks are extra. 

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

No wonder you are apprehensive about you surgery this coming week, Mimi.  I would be too, but we all know you've got this, kid!!!!  God Bless.🙏

I love Cracker Barrel!

My older sister also graduated in 1962.  After her 50th Reunion, a group of the girls who live in the tri-state area get together for lunch quite often.  My sister lives in Arizona, so she can only stay in touch on FB.

I lived on a hill with one side of the street having a tall wall with stairwells for every two homes.  We surely put our Spaldings to good use, between the walls and the stairwells!

Your pictures are beautiful.  

Awesome artwork, Dani!

What cruise are you doing in February?  We'll be on the Silhouette on February 25th, first cruise for us since November 2019.  Ironically, it was also on the Silhouette.

Toby graduated HS in 1962.She is still in contact with several HS friends that prior to the pandemic she met for lunch several times a year.Three live in LI and one in NJ.

• Like 1

After all the fried bologna talk I had to go for it.  I slightly toasted the bread, sautéed onions and garlic, sliced up one of our last tomatoes, mayonnaise and a bit of kosher salt. Added it all with the fried bologna.  It was good!  I might try some roasted tomato with the next one. We got 4 slices from the deli yesterday so if we liked the first ones, we could do it again.

C92E15C8-C72A-464B-9F33-0604C2A7B20A.thumb.jpeg.6aa13cdf0051d5aa3ec763299d299f6d.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Many years ago he applied for membership in our city "Artist's Union" (איגוד אומני הרצליה).

A very "high-level" delegation of 5 members descended upon our humble abode, and checked meticulously the "art gallery".

Through someone who knew someone, we "understood" the reason for the rejection: He doesn't have ONE style.... he's painting, he's sculpting, he's etching.... so THEY couldn't find a "box" to put him in.... ☹️

Yes he is.

The work is beautiful.

100% with @Sunshine3601. Absolutely love the intricate pattern of the shawl.

Thank you.  I do love knitting but I need a pattern and don't design my own.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Thanks. We like to fly Delta. We're in Minneapolis which is their hub so we can get a lot of non-stop flights.

Yes, we transferred from Orlando to Minneapolis on first leg.  Definitely Delta heavy there!  

No, the snacks were free...but just in addition as an extra (and as much as we wanted) to the box meal.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

You'll be making such great memories with Caden!  I love Hobby Lobby.  

Btw, I found out about 2 years or so ago, that my cousin Gene is the Santa Claus face on HL's Christmas stuff...crazy, huh?

Have a great time, Bonnie!

The daughter of a friend of ours recently donated most of her mom's teacups to a Tea Room in Belmar, after her mom Mary passed away this past year.  We are trying to get a group of us together to go have tea and crumpets there, and will be asking to use Mary's cups for our tea.

Wow, Dani, just Wow!  You must be so very proud of your DH.

I could never do the needlework that your have done.  Beautiful!

That's pretty much what Jim and I have been doing for the past couple of years.

Speaking of which....I really hate going from 95 across 10 to 75.  Has there been any improvement to I-4 construction??  I much prefer going through I-4, cutting down how far we will be on 75.

I-4 has improved over the years...was total deadlock when it was just two lanes each way.  At least it is better now with the 3 lanes.  Still a grid lock through Tampa and Orlando...but better than it was. 

I-75??   Ugggh...can't stand that 90 mile an hour parking lot with way too many heavy trucks, and rude drivers that don't give the right of way.  We usually do everything we can to avoid that dangerous interstate.  

• Like 1

Enjoyed a private wine tasting at another of our favorite wineries...Lake Chelan Winery.  And of course had to buy another wine glass there...the one I had at home for years is getting a bit tattered.

Made our wine purchases along with some of their decadent cheese and blanched almonds...plus some interesting Teriyaki sauce for my Asian Shrimp and noodles I am making tomorrow.  

Was a good time!  

20211106_111203.jpg

20211106_111223.jpg

• Like 13

5 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I hope y’all had a chance to visit the Hall of Fame. It’s really well done. I was a docent in the historic section for about 10 years. Talked about feathery and gutta percha balls like a golfer. 
which I have never been!

I really liked the Golf Hall of Fame.  Even as an avid golfer, I wasn't expecting much, but I was very impressed.  I especially liked the locker room area.  I thought that was very well done.  I've got a picture somewhere of me on the "Swilcan Bridge".  Took a shot at the island green but no luck.  I've also enjoyed playing the King & Bear course there a couple of times.  Well worth a visit if you're a golfer, but probably not very interesting if you're not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Cincinnati used to be a Delta hub before the merger with Continental.  As you say, it was great having non-stop flights to many, many cities.  The downside was that those flights were expensive.  Any time a low cost airline tried to squeeze their way into CVG, Delta would temporarily drop their prices on competing flights and drive them out.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, island lady said:

Enjoyed a private wine tasting at another of our favorite wineries...Lake Chelan Winery.  And of course had to buy another wine glass there...the one I had at home for years is getting a bit tattered.

How is the wine in general in that part of the country?  I'm not too familiar with those wineries.  I've gone wine tasting in a few places where most of the wine produced is sweet.  I much prefer dry.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

That delegation had no vision.  Sad they couldn't see his creativity and talent and would think an artist has to be limited to a one sided dimension

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I-4 has improved over the years...was total deadlock when it was just two lanes each way.  At least it is better now with the 3 lanes.  Still a grid lock through Tampa and Orlando...but better than it was. 

I-75??   Ugggh...can't stand that 90 mile an hour parking lot with way too many heavy trucks, and rude drivers that don't give the right of way.  We usually do everything we can to avoid that dangerous interstate.  

Thanks Pat for this info.  I much prefer I-4 to coming across 10, with so much more time on 75.  

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Made our wine purchases along with some of their decadent cheese and blanched almonds...plus some interesting Teriyaki sauce for my Asian Shrimp and noodles I am making tomorrow.  

Was a good time!  

20211106_111203.jpg

20211106_111223.jpg

Your plate of cheese, crackers and fruit looks delightful!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

How is the wine in general in that part of the country?  I'm not too familiar with those wineries.  I've gone wine tasting in a few places where most of the wine produced is sweet.  I much prefer dry.  

We also prefer dry.  Sweet wine makes me gag...sorry White Zin people, but ugg... 😉  

Yes, great Syrahs here, which is the most popular grape in this area, of which they shine for.  Shiraz for the Aussie folks...same grape.  

• Like 5