Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I thought the concert was really good. And Adele is looking really good too!

I loved Adele singing Dylans "let me feel your love" several artist have recorded this song and two of my favorite local singers learned that song for me, so I get to hear it every Wednesday at our favorite restaurant  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I believe each state had their own guidelines.  Good to check so you don't make a needless trip.

Thanks for the suggestion..  We found that We can fill out papers online and they will send the car license in the mail.  Thanks.  We will still need to go in to the county courthouse to assess and pay sales tax.

Last time we renewed our DL we were able to go with a 10 year option where we will renew after 10 years instead of every 4 years.  Not sure if it had to do with getting a travel license.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, George C said:

I loved Adele singing Dylans "let me feel your love" several artist have recorded this song and two of my favorite local singers learned that song for me, so I get to hear it every Wednesday at our favorite restaurant  

While discussing Adele's Concert at the dinner table this evening, our daughter mentioned that Dylan had written the song "Let me feel your love", but that it was Billy Joel that she had first heard singing it.  She then played the song on her phone with Dylan singing it.  Dylan was always a favorite of Jim's, though I personally found it difficult to understand what he was saying later on in his career.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Yeah...the number of great performing bands and solo artists was just astounding. I was a huge fan of "Yes", but also really into CSN&Y - along with their individual efforts. Neil Young has one of the most unique voices I've ever heard. Joni Mitchell...another one....so creative, especially with all those altered guitar tunings. The Who, Zappa, etc....just amazing performers. Too many to even name. Of course, the Beatles were on their own wave. Brian Wilson...another pop music genius. Country rock also - John Denver, the Eagles, etc. Then, when the late 70s / early 80s and disco came along, it totally turned me off, so then I got heavily into the whole new age genre ala Windham Hill. Will Ackerman probably influenced my own guitar playing and composition more than anyone. 

I often wonder what the longevity is of all these performers of recent decades (or earlier). Will the classic rock band music still play a hundred years from now? Two-hundred? Beyond? When you consider the seemingly timeless music of the baroque, classical, and romantic eras - greats like Bach, Handel, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Wagner - and so many others - of which all is still heard and performed (and probably always will be) - it often makes me wonder if modern music will have that level of longevity. And if not, why not? For one thing, technology is changing so fast, and so will pieces originally recorded on tape, then later digitized, etc. endure?  Will all the music currently on places like youtube become obsolete and extinct as modes of playback continue to change? But then....there were no vinyl recordings of Bach, etc.! And yet...the music lives on. Interesting...

I agree with you 100%.A friend of mine has a band called Retro69.Check them out on You Tube.The female singer Melissa League has a great voice.If you close your eyes and listen to her you will think you are listening to Grace Slick.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

While discussing Adele's Concert at the dinner table this evening, our daughter mentioned that Dylan had written the song "Let me feel your love", but that it was Billy Joel that she had first heard singing it.  She then played the song on her phone with Dylan singing it.  Dylan was always a favorite of Jim's, though I personally found it difficult to understand what he was saying later on in his career.

Some days Dylan could sing... and then there were the other days....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, George C said:

check all the local places that renew drivers license , my wife was able to get a much better date at another location last year.

I'll do that and call AAA. Thanks!

Gotta say, that is one female vocalist I never cared for - along with Taylor Swift (who actually grew up in my county - so during her entire career (and even before she became a star) her name was always splashed all over the local newspaper). But then (regarding Adele), I've never cared for soul or rhythm and blues. Actually I can't think of any modern performers I really follow. For my part I still think the 60s and 70s was the most creative, varied, and productive musical period ever for the pop genre. The whole jazz/rock fusion thing totally blew me away - especially bands like Yes (one of the best ever I think), Emerson Lake and Palmer, etc. The folk / rock arena was pretty amazing also - CSN&Y, Simon & Garfunkel, and so forth, not to mention the great rock bands of the era.  I don't think we see music  of that caliber anymore. I suppose every generation, however, thinks the 'music of their life' was the best! I saw that Adele was going to be on last night, but opted for Sunday night football instead. 

Music like food is very subjective.  I didn't mean that Adele sings "soul" music.  Her voice is soulful, coming from deep within. Very pure.  I loved 60s music because those were the years I came "of age".  To this day I swoon when I hear Frankie Avalon's "Venus" which was recorded in 1959.

I was floored when I heard Lady Gaga sing with Tony Bennett.  Who knew she could sing like that?

Beyonce's voice is exceptional.  When music makes you feel, it can be magic.

@Ocean Boy put your hands over your eyes.  Pssst.. I never heard even one Taylor Swift song, ever.

5 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks for the suggestion..  We found that We can fill out papers online and they will send the car license in the mail.  Thanks.  We will still need to go in to the county courthouse to assess and pay sales tax.

Last time we renewed our DL we were able to go with a 10 year option where we will renew after 10 years instead of every 4 years.  Not sure if it had to do with getting a travel license.

I'm glad you got good info. Jack renewed a few weeks ago totally online.  Didn't have to print out a form to mail.  He even was able to use his credit card to pay the license fee.  His renewed license now expires in 2030.  He was able to renew online because last time he renewed in person, Easy peasy for him but not for me. 😒

• Like 3

My friend Joey Canzano aka Chubby lead singer of the Duprees had a great voice .He could have recorded in any genre of music and been great.

Re Bob Dylan ,he was a great song writer .I was at his first NYC appearance in April 1961 .Everyone there that night knew that he was a musical genius.I went to see him in concert many times in the 60’s.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

The AAA in MA allows you to make your DMV appointments online, two weeks in advance.  They release the appointments exactly two weeks out, so if you want an appointment at 11am, two weeks from tomorrow, check at 11 am or after.  If you are looking for 3 pm in two weeks, then you have to check at 3 pm or later.  The regular Registry of Motor Vehicles offices are 30 days out and we never even saw any available appointments.  My DH filled out the Real ID application online, listing all the documents he was going to use for the Real ID.  They scanned them all and verified he had valid documents and he was done in ten minutes.

• Like 1

I was a huge fan of "Yes", but also really into CSN&Y - along with their individual efforts. Neil Young has one of the most unique voices I've ever heard.

YES is high on my list.  I love great keyboard players and Rick Waksman is one of the best.  I believe it was Journey to the Centre of the Earth that was a favorite album of his.  YES was the last concert I attended before going to college.

I attended a concert at the Cleveland stadium with over 80,000 others.  CSN&Y was the main band with Santana and a couple other bands as backup.  Neil Young played a couple of his songs.

My oldest sister introduced me to Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys.  Also liked Jan and Dean.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

YES is high on my list.  I love great keyboard players and Rick Waksman is one of the best.  I believe it was Journey to the Centre of the Earth that was a favorite album of his.  YES was the last concert I attended before going to college.

I awoke this morning
Love laid me down by the river
Drifting I turned on up stream
Bound for my forgiver
In the giving of my eyes to see your face
Sound did silence me
Leaving no trace
I begged to leave, to hear your wonderous stories
Begged to hear your wonderous stories....

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Garth Brooks also had a hit with that song Kelly Clarkson thought Garth wrote the song, nobody writes songs like Dylan, this is one of his more recent that everyone covers, agree his singing isn’t always the best but I see him every time he is in Dallas.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Music like food is very subjective.  I didn't mean that Adele sings "soul" music.  Her voice is soulful, coming from deep within. Very pure.  I loved 60s music because those were the years I came "of age".  To this day I swoon when I hear Frankie Avalon's "Venus" which was recorded in 1959.

I was floored when I heard Lady Gaga sing with Tony Bennett.  Who knew she could sing like that?

Beyonce's voice is exceptional.  When music makes you feel, it can be magic.

@Ocean Boy put your hands over your eyes.  Pssst.. I never heard even one Taylor Swift song, ever.

I'm glad you got good info. Jack renewed a few weeks ago totally online.  Didn't have to print out a form to mail.  He even was able to use his credit card to pay the license fee.  His renewed license now expires in 2030.  He was able to renew online because last time he renewed in person, Easy peasy for him but not for me. 😒

Several years ago we saw the play Grease with Frankie Avalon in Ft Worth, what was super cool was after the play he did a short concert of his hits including Venus.

We have seen Tony Bennett many times in Dallas , he has a amazing voice even at 90. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

YES is high on my list.  I love great keyboard players and Rick Waksman is one of the best.

OH yeah..."Journey to the Centre of the Earth"...I have that on vinyl - played it till probably the grooves are half worn away. The 6 wives of Henry VIII is an interesting album by Wakeman also. When I went to see Yes in 2008 (well, one of the incarnations of the band that was traveling around using the name - there was a bit of a split - not sure what's going on now) - Chris Squire was still with them, as well as Steve Howe. The lead singer was Benoit David - did a terrific job but NOone could take the place of Jon Anderson. What was REALLY cool, though, was that Rick Wakeman's son, Oliver, was playing keys. It was sort of like a time warp in that he looked just like his Dad when he was around that age - the long hair flying around. Fantastic concert. 

16 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I awoke this morning

Hmmm..you got me. I stopped buying albums after Topographic Oceans, so anything newer than that I'm not familar with. 

39 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was at his first NYC appearance in April 1961 .Everyone there that night knew that he was a musical genius.I went to see him in concert many times in the 60’s.

Wow!! How awesome. Never saw Dylan in concert. Did see CS&N though. Neil was no longer with them. Dylan was another totally unique voice and style!!  He's still going strong. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

OH yeah..."Journey to the Centre of the Earth"...I have that on vinyl - played it till probably the grooves are half worn away. When I went to see Yes in 2008 (well, one of the bands that was traveling around using the name - there was a bit of a split - not sure what's going on now) - Chris Squire was still with them, as well as Steve Howe. What was REALLY cool, though, was that Rick Wakeman's son, Oliver, was playing keys. It was sort of like a time warp in that he looked just like his Dad when he was around that age - the long hair flying around. Fantastic concert. 

Hmmm..you got me. I stopped buying albums after Topographic Oceans, so anything newer than that I'm not familar with. 

Wow!! How awesome. Never saw Dylan in concert. Did see CS&N though. Neil was no longer with them. Dylan was another totally unique voice and style!!  He's still going strong. 

Neil was like Dylan. Some days he could sing and then there were the other days.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Neil was like Dylan. Some days he could sing and then there were the other days.

LOL....Neil did some really strange stuff. I think one of the most unique albums is "On the Beach" - love the cover....with the fin of a Caddy buried in the sand. What a lyricist. Same for Dylan. I have a good number of albums (vinyl, of course) from both. I think the last Neil Young album I bought was "Time Fades Away" - I know there were lots after that. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

They are big fans of each other, what I found interesting was Sinatra was a Dylan fan,  several of Dylan’s recent CDs are nothing but Sinatra songs, I definitely prefer Sinatra’s versions. We go to lots of concerts and we do a 70’s music charter cruise every year.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, George C said:

ssst.. I never heard even one Taylor Swift song, ever.

I personally don't think you're missing much. It's all about big production rather than true talent IMHO - choreography, the videos, staging, etc.. Targeting the 18-34 demographic mostly. Brilliant at knowing how to play her cards though. She came from a very well-to-do family, so that didn't hurt. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, George C said:

They are big fans of each other

Huh...didn't know that. 

11 minutes ago, George C said:

Sinatra was a Dylan fan

Well now THERE's something!  Some quick research shows that a possible connection there is through Reprise records - which Sinatra started. Young did most of his recordings on that label.

As much as I'm into music, and being a musician, most ironically I've gone to very few concerts over the years. Went to see Zappa once - the loudest thing I've ever experienced. Pretty wild...they cut their hair during the intermission and came out in the second act looking totally different. Another musical genius in his own right - did lots of transcriptions for orchestra in later years. Surely not the best rock guitarist that ever was though. I think someone like Steve Vai is probably more proficient. Vai actually played with Zappa for several years and did transcriptions for him. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

OH yeah..."Journey to the Centre of the Earth"...I have that on vinyl - played it till probably the grooves are half worn away. The 6 wives of Henry VIII is an interesting album by Wakeman also. When I went to see Yes in 2008 (well, one of the incarnations of the band that was traveling around using the name - there was a bit of a split - not sure what's going on now) - Chris Squire was still with them, as well as Steve Howe. The lead singer was Benoit David - did a terrific job but NOone could take the place of Jon Anderson. What was REALLY cool, though, was that Rick Wakeman's son, Oliver, was playing keys. It was sort of like a time warp in that he looked just like his Dad when he was around that age - the long hair flying around. Fantastic concert. 

There was a CSN cover band in the 80’s called the Bohemians.One day Graham Nash went to see them.He said that their rendition of Almost Cut My Hair was better than CSN.I knew one of the guys in the group,Bobby Tuzzeo.Many years later Bobby was the Publisher of the magazine 21st.Century Rock which featured interviews with every great singer you could think of.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Nobody was ever like Dylan .The closest as a singer is Mark Knoefler.

Nobody has ever written like Dylan.He ,aside from the Beatles is the greatest influence on music in my opinion.