Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

12 hours ago, akcruz said:

We also are in a 1 story, no basement and limited attic.  Water heater in garage, laundry room between garage and house.  We purged a lot when we moved south but not enough, still going thru closets, attic, garage, etc and getting rid of things we haven't used since here.  Slow process and yes it does help with new purchases makes me really think if we need it.

I'm with you, April!  We purged a lot when we moved, also.  We lived in our home for 42 years, with 3 daughters.  We had a full, walk-around attic, full cellar, and garage, all full of acquired and used items.  We no longer have a basement, much to Jim's chagrin.  When we moved here, our 2-car garage had a hot tub in one part, and the other had a washer and dryer.  We got rid of the hot tub, since neither Jim nor I can use it  for medical reasons (Judy and the boys were not happy with our decision), and that part of the garage is Jim's workshop.  We continue to use the other side for our laundry, as well as storage.    We have 3 attics here.  One in the apartment where Judy and the boys "stuff" lives, an attic where we store Christmas stuff over the garage, and the 3rd attic over the rest of the house.  I'm happy to say that the only things stored there are our suitcases, as well as seasonal quilts and clothing.  Gone are the days of our past attic that was used to store our many boxes of books, dolls, doll furniture, games, etc.  Now, if I can just get rid of the many articles of clothing...I must admit, I don't shop as much for clothes as I used to.  I mean, there's just not enough room!😁

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

When I'm looking at those cellar stairs I just think that there are people loading up their cars and driving to laundromats and then the stairs don't seem so bad.

Ahhhh the ole college years.

• Like 3

When I'm looking at those cellar stairs I just think that there are people loading up their cars and driving to laundromats and then the stairs don't seem so bad.

Houses on the island do not have basements so our laundry is on the first floor in a closet.     

Our furnace and hot water heater are also in a closet.     They do take up space but there is plenty of closet space on the 2nd floor where bedrooms are located.    

We have a large outdoor shower (which I love taking outdoor showers when I am here).   Our neighbors converted part of their outdoor shower into an outdoor laundry area.    To me that is strange but I have seen it done other places.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Ours is off the garage entry also.  Works as a mud/sand room, place to hang jackets/hats, utility sink, ironing station, storage cabinets, access to air handling unit, etc.  It shares a wall with our master closet and would be really nice to have direct closet access, although we'd have to give up some closet space which is a hard no.

Here is our floorplan. The second laundry door is an option. Owners entry is an odd description. That's our coffee bar and Bella's diner.

Screenshot_20220615-085156_Chrome.thumb.jpg.502743d4cfbc209b5d808609a25f39f2.jpg

We did lose about 3' of wire shelving to add the door. I put these in to increase the loss 10 fold

20220615_095352.thumb.jpg.686a40762d85e06b10db1497e8ca5308.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

We have a well and also have rural water for the house.  Our water bill is less then $20.00.  We have septic so no sewer bill.  

Nice, but septic has other issues and expenses 😱

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is currently 56°F and sunny with a high of 66°F expected this afternoon.

It took a while to read all last night's posts on here.

We have lived in our house for 41 years.

Wishing everyone a safe and nice day.

Graham.

Have a wonderful day, Graham and Pauline!  

True story!  I'm always glad to have our machines when we get back to NJ..  We have a shared laundry room at our Condo.  There are 3 floors in our building, and each floor only has 1 washer and 1 dryer.  There are 36 Condos in each building.  I do take our quilt to a laundromat...

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We get rid of all of our winter stuff.

I keep a light jacket and long pants/long sleeve shirt for the days that we get unseasonably cool/cold days here in Naples.  It does happen!😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

House is not that big approx 2300 but we have two water heaters .

Multiple water heaters can be a function of how many bedrooms/baths. Large tubs can also come into the equation 

Spent 25+ years in the homebuilding industry.

Second wayer heaters were rare.  Multiple AC units wete far more common. Almost std in Atlanta 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Houses on the island do not have basements so our laundry is on the first floor in a closet.     

Our furnace and hot water heater are also in a closet.     They do take up space but there is plenty of closet space on the 2nd floor where bedrooms are located.    

We have a large outdoor shower (which I love taking outdoor showers when I am here).   Our neighbors converted part of their outdoor shower into an outdoor laundry area.    To me that is strange but I have seen it done other places.   

You need to be aware of tub rust in a garage or outdoor laundry. Stainless steel drums are almost a given. Had a garage laundry in my Winter Springs house

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Have a wonderful day, Graham and Pauline!  

True story!  I'm always glad to have our machines when we get back to NJ..  We have a shared laundry room at our Condo.  There are 3 floors in our building, and each floor only has 1 washer and 1 dryer.  There are 36 Condos in each building.  I do take our quilt to a laundromat...

I keep a light jacket and long pants/long sleeve shirt for the days that we get unseasonably cool/cold days here in Naples.  It does happen!😁

It is supposed to be in the 50’s here the next few nights and 90 plus on Saturday.

• Like 2

Go grab a bottle from the wine cellar and relax.

Can’t at work now.  I have mentioned in the past, that the cellar is dwindling because I am approaching a time when I will be traveling more, hopefully in the Airstream visiting Andrew’s FlowRider.  All of the stuff in the cellar that is left is really high end stuff, I have an aversion to drinking it by myself.  You need to come over some weekend this fall.  

JC

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

So, where's your laundry?

Our house is two story, all bedrooms on upper story.  The laundry is across from the guest room.  

I can’t imagine humping laundry up and down the stairs.

jc

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Can’t at work now.  I have mentioned in the past, that the cellar is dwindling because I am approaching a time when I will be traveling more, hopefully in the Airstream visiting Andrew’s FlowRider.  All of the stuff in the cellar that is left is really high end stuff, I have an aversion to drinking it by myself.  You need to come over some weekend this fall.  

JC

What's the airfare from Springfield to Orlando?

Any chance corporate jet available 🤔

24 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Do you have one? Are there any disadvantages? I seriously want to convert ours in the next few years so I don't have to worry about the one in the attic failing and causing a disaster.

We have one in Florida.  No issues at all so far.  I can take a shower while we're doing laundry and have all the hot water that I want.  It's mounted on the side of our house and is very much out of sight, out of mind. 

I looked into installing one when we lived in Ohio to replace an old tank heater.  There were a couple of problems that prevented me from doing so.  First, the cost was at least 2X when compared to a tank heater.  Second, it required a different lining in the exhaust vent pipe.  Our tank was in the middle of our basement and it would have been tricky (not just expensive) to make the exhaust work.  We had no good place to mount it outside of our house.  I ended up buying the largest tank that I could get.  I don't remember exactly but I think we previously had a 50 gallon tank and would run out of water.  I replaced with an 80 gallon tank and that was no longer an issue.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Do you have one? Are there any disadvantages? I seriously want to convert ours in the next few years so I don't have to worry about the one in the attic failing and causing a disaster.

I have a Rinnai, that is 18 years old this year.  I love it.  I love having unlimited hot water.  It is on Natural Gas and it is far more efficient than the tanked heater we replaced.  Since we typically don’t use all that much water as a family of two, I expect our gas usage to be at least 30% less.  I can’t think of any disadvantage.  

JC

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Our house is two story, all bedrooms on upper story.  The laundry is across from the guest room.  

I can’t imagine humping laundry up and down the stairs.

jc

Anything to share on water/sewer

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

What's the airfare from Springfield to Orlando?

Any chance corporate jet available 🤔

Pretty cheap on Alegiant from Sanford.  That would be a big no on the Embraer.  😆

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Anything to share on water/sewer

Our bill is determined by April and October usage by the city.  

Many cities and water operators are installing wireless meters on gas, water and sewer usage.  Cheaper to just drive by and have the meter read by a computer.  

I can’t imagine adding to the rest of that conversation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1