Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

We just got back from Atlantic City, celebrating our 52nd Anniversary.  With what we lost it would have been cheaper to go to Disney😳

@Luckynana When some of our doctors didn’t accept our insurance we paid them a fee for service.  At least hospitals and prescriptions were covered.

Marietta, wishing you and Charlie a wonderful 52nd Anniversary!  Here's to more laughter, love and good health for many, many years to come.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

My brain is much more technical than creative.  Looking through all of the options and trying to figure out what looks best creatively would get me frustrated.  Too many choices. 

I am the same way.  Creative endeavors stress me out big time...like the Christmas tree art I made using my mother's jewelry.  Even though I finally ended up with something I really like, the path to get there was awful and I would never want to attempt that again.  I prefer following instructions over selecting materials and putting them together creatively.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

When the time comes, make a list of all your and your wife's doctors and drugs.  

We had an independent Medicare agent, not affiliated with any company, come to our house and do the research and came up with the best cost effective plan that included all of our doctors and drugs.  I would refer her to you but honestly, we didn't much care for her.  Cold personality.  I did some research on my own and came up with the one company she suggested. 

Will your wife's company allow her to continue with company insurance when she retires?

It's good to do some research on your own, since some Agents do not give you information on all available plans.

Know the difference between HMO and PPO Advantage plans.

When the time comes, good luck!

My wife will most likely get some medical coverage that I could use as secondary but not primary, she has a good knowledge of medical coverage since she has been in HR for several decades . Will definitely do lots of research and we do have a couple of years before I need to make a decision. Thanks for the information. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

If you have insurance from a former employer you have to accept the insurance from said employer .The alternative is to buy your own insurance which would be very costly.

My former employer just states that I have to sign up for Medicare. They work with a company called Via Benefits that brokers all the insurance plans either an Advantage plan or Medigap plan, or one of the others. The county (my former employer) will reimburse my costs for Part B, Plan G and Plan D. Reimbursement is not a vested right, but it is popular and they plan to keep doing it. 

There are no Advantage plans or HMO's in the county where the other house is. So, I needed a plan that is portable. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I've always wondered the same thing.  My EOB's from the insurance carrier will always list things like: "Dr. So-and-so charged $2,000, We think it should be $1,000 and will pay out $800 (80%). Your provder might bill you for the remainder. "

So I wonder if I'm going to be billed $1,200 or $200? Most of the time, I never get a bill. Not sure why nor will I try to find out.  I figure it's up to them to come to me. 😇

Some doctors will bill insurance carriers for totally ridiculous amounts while others bill for correct amounts.I am familiar with procedure codes.Occasionally I will receive an EOB for a code for a one hour exam but the doctor saw me for 10 minutes.Frequently a Podiatrist will bill for surgery but in reality they scraped callous off my feet.If I get bills for the balance after Medicare and my secondary insurance I always call the doctors billing office and tell them I am not paying the charges billed to me.

I go to two doctors who always inflate the bills.It is their billing companies and not them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

We just got back from Atlantic City, celebrating our 52nd Anniversary.  With what we lost it would have been cheaper to go to Disney😳

@Luckynana When some of our doctors didn’t accept our insurance we paid them a fee for service.  At least hospitals and prescriptions were covered.

Happy 52nd Anniversary, Marietta and Charlie!!  Enjoy your special day!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Coralc said:

My former employer just states that I have to sign up for Medicare. They work with a company called Via Benefits that brokers all the insurance plans either an Advantage plan or Medigap plan, or one of the others. The county (my former employer) will reimburse my costs for Part B, Plan G and Plan D. Reimbursement is not a vested right, but it is popular and they plan to keep doing it. 

There are no Advantage plans or HMO's in the county where the other house is. So, I needed a plan that is portable. 

As I posted several months ago my employer not only gave me free health insurance for life but free legal service and a death benefit .The latter was originally $2000.00 but just yesterday I received a letter stating the new benefit is $20,000.I assume it did not go up $18,000 but that I was not notified in previous years.That to me is an incentive to live longer.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

I'm going to start looking into Medigap plans if we're forced into Aetna Advantage.  I just hope it won't come to that.🙏

• Like 3

Reading the different posts about health insurance coverage and issues involved, I am very grateful to a friend and former teaching colleague who was our union president during a very difficult contract negotiation.

Under this contract, which is the one I retired with, faculty members are covered for life with health insurance equal to or better than the Blue Cross Blue Shield policy that was in effect with the contract that was in place at the time of retirement.

My hubby is covered if he survives me.He can maintain the coverage by paying the premiums instead of the school district paying the premiums. We are fully covered for medical issues as well as prescriptions and eye glasses.

If we were to pay out of pocket for such coverage it would be well over $10,000 a year.

My friends and colleagues are thankful for such coverage and consider it deferred compensation for our service to the school district.

When I began teaching in 1976, my yearly salary was $9,000. A bit below friends’ salaries working in corporate 

Knowing that there would be a future pension and medical coverage made up for the differences in salaries.

Also, I chose a profession that I truly loved and enjoyed everyday at my job that lasted for thirty-six years.

It troubles me to think that NYC retirees are not given generous health coverage in their retirement.

Makes me wonder where the unions are in trying to protect their employees and retirees.

.MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2