Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

35 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Joe and Pats Sicilian pie for those in the know!IMG_1779.thumb.jpeg.31dabde1312e350d838ddac25df3b0a7.jpegv

I love Sicilian pizza ( my grandma occasionally made it even though she was in her 90’s ) she moved to New York in 1890 when she was 20 from Sicily. My wife doesn’t like the calories.

Edited by George C
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Just booked the excursion!  Can't wait to share a Painkiller...or 3!

That’s fantastic! We are going to have a blast!!!

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Definitely scary.  We're going to need some sort of embedded ability to see if a photo has been manipulated.  Experts can do that by examining a photo's data in detail, for example in a court case where a photo may be evidence, but the average person will no longer be able to tell the difference.   Still, this pales in comparison to deepfake video capabilities that have existed for a while.  

Sorry...didn't mean for this to turn into fear mongering.  

I’ve seen this. Very scary to say the least.

5 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

That is cool.  BTW, I like the lighting in your backyard pic.

Thanks. I’d like to change out the cafe lights with color changing led bulbs. Not sure if I can just replace the bulbs or I have to buy a complete string and redo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Joe and Pats Sicilian pie for those in the know!IMG_1779.thumb.jpeg.31dabde1312e350d838ddac25df3b0a7.jpegv

Well, Jim and I are in the know!  I used to walk to Joe and Pats after the Silver Lake Concerts in the Summer.  Great times!!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

We probably passed each other after the concerts!  I went down Forest Avenue, did you go along Victory Blvd?

We more than likely did!!  I would go down Forest Avenue to Joe and Pats;  I used to walk up Victory Blvd. from Corson Avenue on the way to the Concerts.  We sure did a lot of walking in our teen years, didn't we?

I used to walk down Victory to the Tompkinsville Train Station to get to school, then had a long walk from the Pleasant Plains Station all the way up the hill to St. Louis Academy.  I'd do it all over again, Marietta.  What a great time to grow up, and the Island was a great place to live!  I would walk to the St. George Theater, the Paramount, the Ferry, etc.  😊

• Like 2

8 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Yes, my grandson in PA seems to be very good at his favorite sports of football, baseball and golf.  

Now my other grandson in California, has shown zero interest in any sports, but that is ok.  Kids should be free to discover and pursue their talents.  His dad, who was an excellent golfer before his back surgery, tried to get him interested in golf, but he didn’t like it.  He has expressed an interest in martial arts, and may pursue that. 

My father was a soccer player from 1913 to 1927.I had no interest in ever playing soccer and he never tried to get me to play soccer.I excelled at Handball and Basketball.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Luckynana said:

We more than likely did!!  I would go down Forest Avenue to Joe and Pats;  I used to walk up Victory Blvd. from Corson Avenue on the way to the Concerts.  We sure did a lot of walking in our teen years, didn't we?

I used to walk down Victory to the Tompkinsville Train Station to get to school, then had a long walk from the Pleasant Plains Station all the way up the hill to St. Louis Academy.  I'd do it all over again, Marietta.  What a great time to grow up, and the Island was a great place to live!  I would walk to the St. George Theater, the Paramount, the Ferry, etc.  😊

I would walk along the Terrace from St. Peter’s to the ferry shelter to get the bus home.  Otherwise it was two buses home if I left from the school.  You had some trip to St. Louis!  Did you know Carol Waltman?  She was a year or two older than me and we couldn’t believe she went to school so far away!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

We probably passed each other after the concerts!  I went down Forest Avenue, did you go along Victory Blvd?

I spent a lot of time in Staten Island.I worked there in the summer of 1959.I had a friend living on Forest Ave.Later on I took my kids to the zoo and to Richmond Restoration .Toby and I went to the mall often when we lived in Brooklyn.In recent years we met friends from NJ in a diner .I forgot the name of it but it was near or on Richmond Road.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2023 at 6:30 PM, derorim said:

We have been blessed with incredible extended spring weather,

We're enjoying the weather this year too in our part of the state.

Haven't seen a tick yet.

But of course no swimming yet either 🙂

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Maryann, did you ever hit Pal Joeys afterwards?  That was our pizza place.  

No, I don't think I ever did.  I used to love Nunzio's in Grant City, and Denino's in Port Richmond.  There's a Denino's in Brick, NJ that we've been to a couple of times.  Another Denino's opened in Manahawkin, but it didn't last too long.  It's been a journey trying to find pizza here in Jersey that is as good as the Island's..🤨

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Luckynana said:

No, I don't think I ever did.  I used to love Nunzio's in Grant City, and Denino's in Port Richmond.  There's a Denino's in Brick, NJ that we've been to a couple of times.  Another Denino's opened in Manahawkin, but it didn't last too long.  It's been a journey trying to find pizza here in Jersey that is as good as the Island's..🤨

My son goes to that Deninos some times.  They are all related.  There is a Joe amd Pats relative somewhere there also. Forgot the name.  Nunzio’s closed recently.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Lenny, probably passed you along the way also!!!

It is very possible. When I worked in a SI Day Camp in 1959 Bonnie was a camper .A guy who is a CC regular and I went to the same college ,he graduated 2 years after me but we were both there for 2 of the same years.

Another CC regular lived 2 blocks away from me in the 70’s .I did not know either of these people at the time but it is quite likely that we passed each other by at some point.

• Like 4

On 6/2/2023 at 12:15 PM, Husky1987 said:

So, we had an eventful May.  Last weekend of April, we had a house fire.  Freak spark accident into an Arborvitae plant (pro tip: cut the torches-waiting-to-happen down if they're next to your house, like I always wanted to do but never got around to LOL).  Thankfully, the fire went up through the roof and not down.  Everybody....wife, dog, cat, chickens, were all okay.  Not a lot of fire damage to the house itself (in fact, you can't really tell there was a fire inside the house other than the smoke smell), but lots of smoke and water (fire department did an amazing job).

House42923.jpg.964c29a4644f619045a0b68db807c68a.jpg

Looking at 6-8 months for reconstruction.  From the outside, 95% of the house looks normal.  I'm sure they'll have to gut the inside down to the studs due to the smoke and fire.  In the meantime, we were lucky to find a rental house in our neighborhood just a couple blocks away, so we are super close for the duration (depending on the wonderful county permitting/inspection process, may be there up to 12 months).  Easy enough to feed the chickens and keep an eye on things during reconstruction. 

Didn't lose anything sentimental.  Insurance company thus far has been great (even, dare I say, overly generous in their valuing of certain items).  Anything we lost....stuff is just stuff anyway. 

The only cruise-related casualty is a 16 day we had planned in October.  We really don't want to be away for 2-1/2 weeks so we're cutting it back to a week in October.  Which is fine, since we'll be on our favorite ship, the Adventure.

Which is appropriate, since life is an adventure, right?  

In the meantime, here's Stevie and her best friend Tucker, all tired out from playing.  We stayed with our next door neighbors for about three weeks while the whole rental deal was being hashed out.  They were wonderful, told us to stay as long as we needed to.  Stevie played with Tucker all day long, every day, and thought us burning the house down was the best thing we've ever done. 

StevieTucker.jpg.939e4794809a8ea59a3ddfa85d605c97.jpg

Sorry to hear this happened but Thankful to hear that everyone is okay.   

That's great you were able to find a rental nearby.

You have awesome neighbors too.  😃

• Like 4

19 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Afterwards, we went to watch the Fountains of Bellagio.  That was fantastic.  The shows are every 15 minutes after 8:00 PM.  We stayed at the fountain for 3 hours because I wanted to watch the very last show at 11:55 PM, for one of my favorite songs- Star Spangled Banner.  I hope you like it.

The first fountain show of the day in April was God Bless the USA. Equally inspiring.

The fountains are physically so simple, yet they are so inspiring.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

That’s fantastic! We are going to have a blast!!!

I’ve seen this. Very scary to say the least.

Thanks. I’d like to change out the cafe lights with color changing led bulbs. Not sure if I can just replace the bulbs or I have to buy a complete string and redo.

I booked that excursion too!

• Like 5