Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I can't see myself retired either. I don't know how I'd give up something that I wanted from as far back as I can remember.

I had a PCP in the 60’s who is in his 90’s and still practicing.

I have a friend who is a General Surgeon and still performing surgery .He is in his 80’s.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I'm pretty sure the New City Diner holds the record for largest & thickest diner menu. It would take 30 minutes to look thru and by the time you got to the end, you would've forgotten what was in the beginning.  Unfortunately , the original New City Diner is no longer in business having been taken over and renamed.

I recently went to the Stateline diner - aptly named as it sits on the border of NY/NJ - with my nephew. At 16 pages, I feel like the menu is only half the size of New City Diner menu. The Greek Specialties and Mediterranean Cuisine would have taken 1-2 pages each, here they are combined onto one page. And of course, just reading about the desserts does not do it justice, they need to be seen in the 6 foot tall rotating glass case.

I too, was amazed how they were able to store all the food. Every diner must've had an underground bunker the size of an Royal ship.

I've attached a PDF of the menu. First time attaching a PDF. Hope it works.

Stateline-Diner-dinner-menu.pdf 1.82 MB · 32 downloads

Wish I knew of some great diners near the NJ Turnpike. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dpostman said:

Done.  16 half pint jars Rhubarb syrup concentrate that have been waterbath processed + 1 Rhubarb Simple Syrup.

image.thumb.png.ee0be1038bf4887a4e2cbd907ff32f00.png

image.thumb.png.a88bf5e206153c19b4a31e2b73055964.png

And for "Quality control"  Since it is Sunday, I opted for a Rhubarb Gin ? Tonic rather than a Martini 😉

image.thumb.png.10cc10ebc93f7f079bcb588c6278eb13.png

dp

That looks like a dream, a good one!

I love rhubarb!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lionesss said:

I still have the scarf with the worlds fair logo, a card from the mercury mission capsule. And remember the  car ride through the large building. 
And who could forget seeing “ it’s a small world”. 
I remember my mom crying seeing the “Pieta” from Rome. 

So many memories. 

And the Carousel of Progress, (GE) which wound up at Disney. The wonderful things it showed in our future, like being able to talk to and see Grandma on a screen. 
It seemed like an impossible dream back then!

• Like 8

15 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Seeing the Pieta was very special and meant so much to this Catholic School kid.

I remember being awestruck at the way Michelangelo made the Blessed Virgin and Jesus so perfect out of a piece of rock!

I saw t again at St Peter’s and  it was still moving and awesome. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Few pictures of my garden,planted on May 9th....planted zuchinni and corn from packets of seed,bought pepper,tomatoes and eggplant plant.

20230509_134108.jpg

20230509_144454.jpg

Now pictures from today June 25th.

20230625_160100.jpg

20230625_160118.jpg

20230625_160106.jpg

20230625_160142.jpg

How beautifully healthy it all looks! Lush and green!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HBE4 said:

My memories of the 1964/65 Worlds Fair is.........nothing. I was 9 months old when my parents took me.  😊

That was me at the 1939 World’s Fair!

I enjoyed the next one much more!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Wish I knew of some great diners near the NJ Turnpike. 

Tick-Tock Diner. Route 3 in Clifton, NJ about 5 minutes off the Turnpike. Although that part of Jersey is very congested so 5 minutes could easily be 35 minutes depending on time of day, weather, sunspots , the price of tea in China, etc.

It's been a very long time since I ate there last but the reviews are still positive.  Looks like the menu has been slimmed down considerably, probably due to the C19-word.  And it's no longer open 24 hours which immediately makes me wonder if it's still a "true" diner. 😉

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 9:18 AM, dpostman said:

I don't know about you, but my "Wax ON/Wax OFF" muscles aren't what they used to be 😉

I just started watching Season 4 of Cobra-Kai on NetFlix, TV show based on the Karate Kid characters 40 years later as well as the next generation of kids. They work in the "Wax ON/Wax OFF" line into just about every episode.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Tick-Tock Diner. Route 3 in Clifton, NJ about 5 minutes off the Turnpike. Although that part of Jersey is very congested so 5 minutes could easily be 35 minutes depending on time of day, weather, sunspots , the price of tea in China, etc.

It's been a very long time since I ate there last but the reviews are still positive.  Looks like the menu has been slimmed down considerably, probably due to the C19-word.  And it's no longer open 24 hours which immediately makes me wonder if it's still a "true" diner. 😉

If we get to the area at Dick’s lunch time, we’ll find out! Thanks!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

The 2016 RX is being traded in for a 2023 RX.  Same white color and same interior options.

I get an e-mail offer once a month from my local Lexus dealer asking me to trade in my 2015 RX for a new one.  I guess because there is a big demand for used cars.  While some of the offers are tempting, I'm pretty sure my next car is going to be something a bit sportier.

17 hours ago, derorim said:

So true!  I went from a convertible to a SUV when we moved close to our 1 1/2 year old granddaughter.  

Me too! Well, almost. When my step daughter moved back in with me, she, took over (okay, I gave to her) my daily driver which is a convertible and now I drive the aforementioned RX SUV. I told her she has to "give the car back" to me when she moves back out on her own. Not because I'm the evil step-dad but the convertible is an aging Saab and parts&repairs are becoming harder and more expensive to come by.

• Like 5

@ollienbertsmum

I've seen your reply about Lucca on Italy's port of calls forum.

Just started researching our next cruise's stop in La Spezia. We've been lucky to make several land trips to Italy, and the only city "missing" is Lucca.

The "problem" is that all the tours "combine" Pisa & Lucca.

How did you get to Lucca? Thanks 🌹

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

And the Carousel of Progress, (GE) which wound up at Disney. The wonderful things it showed in our future, like being able to talk to and see Grandma on a screen. 
It seemed like an impossible dream back then!

We always went to see Carousel of progress when we visited WDW in Orlando.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

@ollienbertsmum

I've seen your reply about Lucca on Italy's port of calls forum.

Just started researching our next cruise's stop in La Spezia. We've been lucky to make several land trips to Italy, and the only city "missing" is Lucca.

The "problem" is that all the tours "combine" Pisa & Lucca.

How did you get to Lucca? Thanks 🌹

Ship shuttle drops you off at the port gates Dani.

There is a lovely promenade and at right angles to the marina cross a grassed area and there is a long street of shops.

It is 1 and a half hours to Florence or Pisa.

Some people go to Cinque  terre.

Screenshot_20230626_172502.jpg

Screenshot_20230626_172403.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Ship shuttle drops you off at the port gates Dani.

There is a lovely promenade and at right angles to the marina cross a grassed area and there is a long street of shops.

It is 1 and a half hours to Florence or Pisa.

Some people go to Cinque de terre.

Thank you, Graham. As usual, I think that I didn't explain myself correctly. Always aiming to make it short, it seems, but not clear enough ☹️.

So, we've been to Florence and CT several times, "supported" the leaning tower of Pisa, spent time in Portofino, SML and Rapallo.

Even just took a nice walk on the long street of shops in La Spezia, when we didn't feel like traveling far...

BUT, I've heard marvelous things about Lucca, and this time we'd like to get there from La Spezia.

Private transfers run around 450-500 Euro return, so I'm looking for the cheapest and quickest way to get there, spend 3-4 hours and be back on time 😉.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you, Graham. As usual, I think that I didn't explain myself correctly. Always aiming to make it short, it seems, but not clear enough ☹️.

So, we've been to Florence and CT several times, "supported" the leaning tower of Pisa, spent time in Portofino, SML and Rapallo.

Even just took a nice walk on the long street of shops in La Spezia, when we didn't feel like traveling far...

BUT, I've heard marvelous things about Lucca, and this time we'd like to get there from La Spezia.

Private transfers run around 450-500 Euro return, so I'm looking for the cheapest and quickest way to get there, spend 3-4 hours and be back on time 😉.

From Rome2Rio app.  I hope all are visible except drive . 

IMG_3377.png

Edited by NHProud
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

How beautifully healthy it all looks! Lush and green!

With the amount of rain we have had  it's no wonder.  More rain is forecasted again for the middle of this week. Yesterday and today has been the first  rain free day of the last 12 days.

18 hours ago, Keksie said:

My two memories of the 1964 World's Fair are It's A Small World and Belgium Waffles.

I did not attend the  Fair but learned to enjoy a ride from it. At Disney they have the Carousel of Progress which was at the 1964 World Fair. While at the Magic Kingdom, when it would get hot and I was tired I would suggest the ride.  It's has nice air conditioning and I could get a nice the 20 minute nap!

• Like 11

These are a few of my thoughts about our cruise.  Pictures will come later once my husband can come inside and download his camera.  He is mowing now that most of the storm damage has been taken care of.  Still have 2 trees down and 1 that I think is too dangerous for him to attempt by himself.

Embarkation and debarkation could not have been faster. 

Food:

We had the key so lunch the first day and breakfast the last day were in the MDR.  They both were delicious and peaceful.

Breakfast and lunch everyday were in the Windjammer, we were very happy with the choices every day.  We had Chops +1.  Our 1 was Izumi.  Both meals were great.  I got the lamb chops in Chops.  I got the Champagne Lobster Roll and the Tempura Lobster Roll.  For dessert I had the Sesame balls with the red bean paste which was the perfect balance of not sweet/sweet.

Two other dinners were in the Windjammer and 3 were in the MDR.  All were good.

The not so good was the Windjammer the last night.  We wanted to go to the show so decided to eat first in the Windjammer.  The food in there all week was really good with roast beef, brisket (my husband got the burnt ends which the carver was about to throw away).  The last night however the food was not appealing at all.  We then went to the show and ate in the MDR after.

The staff was very friendly and service was as good or better then any of our other cruises.  The cruise director was fun and the game shows were hilarious.

The internet was horrible.  We needed to keep in touch with our house sitters because of the bad weather.  No way would it work in our cabin.  My husband found one place that he could make wifi calls without them dropping.  We found that if we were on the pool deck before the younger people were up the internet was fast, after that not even the app worked well.  Since they don’t give out the compass any more you need the app to know what was going on.

The game shows were great but the rest of the entertainment was not.  The music was not anything that interested us.  One night there was no show.  The comedian had 2 shows.  The first show he was funny but the second show he kept checking his notes, his watch and he seemed to be in a down mood.  I know it is a small ship but seriously?

The ports:

Cozumel – Nachi Cocom – great as always

Roatan – Maya Cay – the winds were up so we could not snorkel, the beach was nice and I got to spend at least 30 min. talking rescue animals with one of the staff.

Belize – Took a river safari. The wind was still up so it was a good option to not be bounced around in a small boat.

Costa Maya – 1st excursion was a catamaran snorkel, with the winds they refunded our payment because of poor visibility.  It would have been awesome if the wind had not been so bad.  2nd excursion was the aviary at the port and it was very nice the way they had it set up.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I did not attend the  Fair but learned to enjoy a ride from it. At Disney they have the Carousel of Progress which was at the 1964 World Fair. While at the Magic Kingdom, when it would get hot and I was tired I would suggest the ride.  It's has nice air conditioning and I could get a nice the 20 minute nap!

I have been on that ride and it is a great way to rest and cool off.  

• Like 2