Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 minutes ago, NHProud said:

No problem ! My husband and I are both retired chemists .  Not organic , though .  

I could never do what you do . Too many details. 

I say this to teachers all the time, with how many children are raised to think that they can do no wrong, with no manners or respect for others being taught at home.  I don't know how today's teachers handle it.

It's great that we have so many different occupational options these days to match with a person's natural talents/interests.  Back when I was growing up, women were either teachers, nurses, or secretaries. Girls growing up these days are able to see role models in literally any profession.

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

My next life I am coming back as a math teacher. The best part about math is it doesn't change. You only have to learn it once. Now, let's talk about having summers off.😁

I was so confused when my son's math book talked about "regrouping".... What the heck is regrouping?  They just renamed "borrowing" and "carrying over".  🙄

And the math book didn't show using a "placeholder" zero when doing long multiplication problems -- they just expected the kids to line up the columns appropriately.  😯

I asked his teachers, and they said they still call it "borrowing" and "carrying over", and they still teach the placeholder zeros in long multiplication.  

Since math doesn't change, schools wouldn't need to purchase new math textbooks -- we could all still be using the same books that our great-grandparents used.  So the publishing world had to create "new" ways to teach so that there would be a reason for schools to buy more books.  🤬

• Like 7

8 hours ago, derorim said:

Do today's kids even know how to write checks?  Some schools don't even teach cursive now, so if they do write a check, how do they sign their name?

Most young adults, when signing their hospital discharge paperwork, just print their "signature".  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brillohead said:

Most young adults, when signing their hospital discharge paperwork, just print their "signature".  

Ontario just announced that they are going back in time.  They are bringing back the teaching of cursive and bringing back other proven teaching methods that were abandoned years ago.

• Like 18

12 hours ago, Vibe said:

With all of the crazy things happening in our world, it so refreshing to see that there are still nice people who care about others. 😊

While most of CC is full of snark and name-calling and ridiculing and one-up-manship, our beloved "Dani's Thread" has remained a haven of civility and community. 

Every once in a blue moon, we'll get a new person who comes in and comments with the typical catty snark you see in other threads, but they quickly get shut down.  

34ba73a7-28a3-4950-9f25-fba93388de18_text.gif

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

For some reason the Reels on my Facebook feed are 50% airplane takeoffs and landings. They obviously know what I like to watch, even on the reels. 

The algorithms are amazing at figuring us out... my Reels are mostly dog-related, especially the guy who does the skits about the different breeds of dogs and their unique characteristics.  

31 minutes ago, brillohead said:

The algorithms are amazing at figuring us out... my Reels are mostly dog-related, especially the guy who does the skits about the different breeds of dogs and their unique characteristics.  

I don't do the "face" thing but youtube seems to have me figured out pretty well.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, brillohead said:

While most of CC is full of snark and name-calling and ridiculing and one-up-manship, our beloved "Dani's Thread" has remained a haven of civility and community. 

Every once in a blue moon, we'll get a new person who comes in and comments with the typical catty snark you see in other threads, but they quickly get shut down.  

34ba73a7-28a3-4950-9f25-fba93388de18_text.gif

I'm not a new person, but I love squirrels. 😛

• Haha 6

Andrew broke his left pinky finger AGAIN while throwing a football with Brian today. The first time was in 2019. Unfortunately, this time it’s going to affect playing football at school, which he was really excited about. 😭

He’s also dreading being stuck in a cast again for the next 6 weeks. Waiting on a call from ortho for that.

• Like 16

1 minute ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Andrew broke his left pinky finger AGAIN while throwing a football with Brian today. The first time was in 2019. Unfortunately, this time it’s going to affect playing football at school, which he was really excited about. 😭

He’s also dreading being stuck in a cast again for the next 6 weeks. Waiting on a call from ortho for that.

We let kids play football with a cast on.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Starting our trip to Amsterdam for our B2B British Isles/Transarctic cruise.

Fly the friendly skies of United…🎶

IMG_6787.thumb.jpeg.d47e27385d5dfbc25e2ec928525bbc4b.jpeg

The plane…the plane!   787-9 Dreamliner

IMG_6788.thumb.jpeg.b9b24234df93c9beaf209c76ee0454eb.jpeg

I might have missed it...where are you staying in Amsterdam? I'm just starting to look.

Whew, I am caught up. It's a daunting task to be 150 pages behind.

Hope everyone had great birthdays, anniversaries and vacations.

Dismayed to learn of so many health issues with our group. I hope everyone is on the mend. 

Just a few things that stand out....

Regarding the mouse problems. When we had an RV in storage we used dryer sheets. Mice didn't like the smell. We never had a problem and it wad a very old RV.

Greg, I can't give help on your chunky bat, but best wishes on your knee and wish Linda the best!

Crystal, your trip sounds amazing. Love the pics so far.

All the grandkids are so stinking CUTE.

Dani, I hope you get to visit your family in Amsterdam. I know it will be difficult now they are gone, but hopefully they are safer. I pray for peace in your country.

Lastly, my heart breaks for all the losses in Maui. 

I don't mean to leave anyone off my little post here. There's only so much my poor brain can hold. To make room to remember more stuff I'm at the bartering stage...remember someone's birthday, give up knowing my address.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

@mo&fran I talked to my friend who went through what you are going through email me with your email and I will tell you what he told me at gpsteele7  at g mail dot com

He posted his email Greg. Why don't you email HIM? "I do use gmail , and i am franinpbg. "   

Edited by Coralc
  • Thanks 2

@Luckynana Happy early birthday from Mike and I.

10 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Starting our trip to Amsterdam for our B2B British Isles/Transarctic cruise.

Fly the friendly skies of United…🎶

IMG_6787.thumb.jpeg.d47e27385d5dfbc25e2ec928525bbc4b.jpeg

The plane…the plane!   787-9 Dreamliner

IMG_6788.thumb.jpeg.b9b24234df93c9beaf209c76ee0454eb.jpeg

That's what we were on. First time for me to be on the type of airplane Mike flies now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

She is in the air now, just left an hour ago, she ha s an almost 11 hour flight.

Might depend what section of the plane she is in as to how she likes the flight or not.

The plane holds almost 300 passengers.

Inside WestJet's Brand New 787-9 Dreamliner - YouTube

These were the seats we were in. We were in the same exact airplane that had a wing tip damaged the week before. After Mike landed in SA last week another AA 777 hit its wing causing damage. They were supposed to fly back home that night, but had to wait until next day for a replacement aircraft. Thanks Mike for telling me this just as we were taking off. 😁

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner

We were in 21 J & L.

3 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I might have missed it...where are you staying in Amsterdam? I'm just starting to look.

They are staying at the Doubletree near the port. We're in the same hotel and arrived yesterday.

• Like 12

Getting caught up after our storms yesterday. Fortunately we didn’t get the tornadoes or 2.5” hail they were calling for, but did have a lot of rain.  Lost power for about 4 hours.  That is the longest our power has been out in the last 37 years we have lived in this house.  Cleanup day, today. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Feel better Andrew!

• Like 1