Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

11 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

That's the first I read about the "Tattoo rule".

I immediately asked my DH, since he was born here, and knows more about the "rules"....

He replied: "What about all those concentrations camps survivors, who had been tattooed with a number on their arms??" 

Well, he's right. We went to many funerals of [tattoed] survivors....

Unless there is a "rule" that if you asked to be tattoed v. it being done to you exists...

We have always been told that our  bodies are sacred and when we die our bodies are to remain as they were when we born. My uncle was denied burial in a conservative cemetery because of his tattoo. We were told that concentration camp survivors were exempt because they didn't not choose to deface their bodies.

Edited by ownedbypets
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Never knew this.  Loving learning new things about different cultures, thank you for sharing😊💐

I’m in a Facebook group with female readers from all over the world. 
It’s amazing how different our customs are, but how much we all have in common. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

We have always been told that our  bodies are sacred and when we die our bodies are to remain as they were when we born. My uncle was denied burial in a conservative cemetery because of his tattoo. We were told that concentration camp survivors were exempt because they didn't not choose to deface their bodies.

Google being your friend, this is what I've found: "Can a person with a tattoo be buried in a Jewish cemetery"?

Question: Is it true that if I have a tattoo I cannot be buried in an Orthodox cemetery? I’m not referring to Holocaust markings.

Answer: The Torah forbids us from tattooing our bodies. Nonetheless, one who has had tattoos can still buried in a Jewish cemetery. That said, every Jewish burial society has the right to enact its own criteria for who may and may not be buried in their plot. This stems from people’s desire (or right?) to be buried in proximity to others of their choosing. So while technically there is nothing in Jewish law which prohibits a tattooed person from being interred in a Jewish cemetery, certain burial societies—not the majority of them, or even close—will not bury among their own a person who willingly tattooed him- or herself, as it is a permanent exhibition of violation of Jewish Law. This practice by certain burial societies led to the common misconception that this ban was an inherent part of Jewish law.

It seems that was the case with your uncle -- the burial society enacted its own criteria...

1 minute ago, dani negreanu said:

Google being your friend, this is what I've found: "Can a person with a tattoo be buried in a Jewish cemetery"?

Question: Is it true that if I have a tattoo I cannot be buried in an Orthodox cemetery? I’m not referring to Holocaust markings.

Answer: The Torah forbids us from tattooing our bodies. Nonetheless, one who has had tattoos can still buried in a Jewish cemetery. That said, every Jewish burial society has the right to enact its own criteria for who may and may not be buried in their plot. This stems from people’s desire (or right?) to be buried in proximity to others of their choosing. So while technically there is nothing in Jewish law which prohibits a tattooed person from being interred in a Jewish cemetery, certain burial societies—not the majority of them, or even close—will not bury among their own a person who willingly tattooed him- or herself, as it is a permanent exhibition of violation of Jewish Law. This practice by certain burial societies led to the common misconception that this ban was an inherent part of Jewish law.

It seems that was the case with your uncle -- the burial society enacted its own criteria...

I just googled it too and learned something new. I was always taught that a tattoo would not allow for burial in a Jewish cemetery. Thanks for clarifying.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

CA Adventure opened a new section called Avengers Campus. Basically if you love Marvel movies or TV shows (Wanda Vision/Loki), they have characters all over the place.

That sounds neat. Disney is taking advantage of the Marvel stuff since acquiring it.
We have been to to the Star Wars rides at WDW several times.  Early this year we were at the HS park.  They were starting to allow park hopping again.  While we were asking a park asst. about it he ask if we made it on the Rise of Resistance. We didn’t that morning so before we knew it he tapped a couple times on his iPad then told us we now have a spot in line.  It was fun.  There is so much to it you find something new each time.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Started our journey at 4:17 am. 2 day drive to Walt Disney World. Just got to West Virginia. A little over 9 hours to go today till Savanah Georgia. 

Hope y’all have a safe and fun trip.  Savanah is a place that is on my list to visit.

18 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

My wife and I were talking last night how we want to go back Curaçao.  Remember the moving bridge?  After posting about the Curaçao t-shirt we went swimming with the kids.  I got the shirt all wet and so now I am in St. Thomas t-shirt which we are headed to in October.  It will be our first time iona Symphony.  Really looking forward to being on it and updating the t-shirts. 😂 

I am not familiar with Bert Wills Band.  Although I now live in Arkansas, I lived in the Akron/Cleveland Ohio area during my younger days when I enjoyed the 60s/70s music.  Funny thing is I attended a farm concert south of the Cincinnati bridge. One of the bands playing was Black Oak Arkansas.  It was a band I never heard of and I probably couldn’t tell you where Arkansas was at the time!  
A country/Southern rock band which I love is the Allman Brothers.  I am surprised that as much as bands have been talked about here I don’t remember the Allman Brothers mentioned.

I was never into the Allman Brothers years ago.A few years ago I mentioned that to my daughters and they bought me 6 CD’s.

We were last in Curaçao in December 2019.

Today I am wearing a shirt from Denali National Park in Alaska.We have been in St.Thomas many times going back to 1994.In 2011 we were there and decided to book a tour.The tour guide was a retired Pro basketball player from the UK.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Especially Bermuda.  Bermudians are mostly dressed smart casual on a regular basis compared to Caribbean islands where it is very casual for most.

Yes,I know that.They enjoy a different lifestyle for the most part.I have a cousin who lived there in the 60’s and I recall our conversations about life there.

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was never into the Allman Brothers years ago.A few years ago I mentioned that to my daughters and they bought me 6 CD’s.

We were last in Curaçao in December 2019.

Today I am wearing a shirt from Denali National Park in Alaska.We have been in St.Thomas many times going back to 1994.In 2011 we were there and decided to book a tour.The tour guide was a retired Pro basketball player from the UK.

Our favorite cruises were Alaskan cruises.  One was just the cruise and the other was a cruise/tour.  I have the pictures on our digital picture frame and it is nice to see them and remember our trip.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Never gets old, although some of the members have change over the years, the quality never  diminishes.  

First time I saw them was at the Beacon Theater in NYC. Glamorous,  old time movie palace from the 1920s. Even the cheap seats had a great view. So close to the band, practically on top of them, felt like you could touch them.  I don't remember flames but the lasers can close to my head a few times. 🥺

I was at the Beacon Theater for a Joan Baez concert in 2004 .

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Speaking of Bermuda.  There was a young woman who worked for the same company I did when I worked in Uptown Manhattan in 1969-70.  Her last name was Outerbridge.. it was her family that the Outerbridge Crossing from Staten Island to NJ was named after.  Anyway, she was from Bermuda.  Jim and I took our daughters on a cruise to Bermuda in 1987, and I ran into her while walking down the street there.   Small World we live in!

What street in uptown Manhattan did you work on ? I worked on W.90 .

16 hours ago, George C said:

On a small world, I was in a pool in Porto Vallarta over 25 years ago talking to a couple and it turned out we all went to the same high school in Brooklyn in the 1960’s 

On a cruise in 2018 I met a guy who worked at my Brooklyn HS when I was a student there.

13 hours ago, mets07 said:

It was a great concert. A full house and a gorgeous night. Warm with an ocean breeze. 

20210813_210621.jpg

Jones Beach is a wonderful place to see concerts.I have not been there recently but at one time at the opposite end of where you saw the concert they had a smaller area and concerts there were free,normally for local LI bands.

41 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Our favorite cruises were Alaskan cruises.  One was just the cruise and the other was a cruise/tour.  I have the pictures on our digital picture frame and it is nice to see them and remember our trip.

I posted before on this site that in 2008 my wife and I flew to Fairbanks and did a 7 day train and bus tour of Alaska partaking in activities that I was unable to just a few years afterward.This was followed by a 7 day cruise.It was one of our favorite vacations.My wife had just retired and she wanted to do this trip for quite some time.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

Considering some of my daily dealings, tattoos are the least of what some people do to their sacred bodies. Come to think of it, college was probably the ultimate eye opener.

• Like 2

Well that was frustrating! After not doing any clothes shopping for over two years, I thought I would go out and look for some clothes for our cruise. I learned several things.

Most clothes are made for people way younger than me. Most clothes are made for people way thinner and taller than me. And the stores that I like such as Macy's practically have no men's department any more and hardly any selections. Very depressing.

I even asked on of the clerks what happened to the mens department. She said Covid has limited how much stock is made and delivered. And more people are buying on online and suggested I go to Macys.com to find what I'm looking for. Very sad. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Based on what's going on around me (fully vaxxed still getting sick, one of my friends right now being transported with a Covid-ambulance to the hospital, after 10 days isolated at home, monitoring his saturation, his SO recovering in her own house), I'd say go for cruise only if Eric can get the 3rd jab.

Recent studies here show that the 3rd being injected to immuno-suppressed raised their antibodies by 50%.

+1

This is my third attempt at posting responses today.   Let's hope this one works.

Eric was notified last night via email by Penn Medicine that Pfizer booster was approved by FDA for immuno-compromised / transplant patients.        The email goes on to say he should call his transplant doctor to review his specifics. 

When he had covid end of Jan/early Feb and had the monoclonal antibody treatment then 2 weeks later his first jab of pfizer vaccine then fully vaccinated in March it took about 2 months for the transplant doc to get his tach level back to an acceptable range.     

He was monitored on a regular basis for antibodies up thru June and was told he had strong antibodies levels but as we know that diminishes over time due to the meds he takes to suppress his immune system (to avoid organ rejection).     Last conversation she told him when and if he gets a booster she may change his tacrolimus before getting a 3rd jab.     He will call her this week and discuss.    

After doing some yard work and gardening where I do some of my best thinking.

I am going to pitch to Eric at dinner that we rent the shore home for September and they can stay up thru the Chowderfest weekend  https://chowderfest.com/

Huge event that brings about 30,000 +/- people onto the island first weekend every October.   

Then we can go down that Tuesday or Wednesday (work online there) and get started on our painting project and stay for however long that month.     

I am also going to pitch that we do Thanksgiving at the shore house this year for something different.     We haven't done that in years.

As we already made full payment for the Oasis 9.26 sailing we don't need to make a decision right away.     We'll see what his transplant doc says about pfizer booster and figure it out in a couple of weeks.      

BTW my TSOD is Costa Maya

• Like 8

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Based on what's going on around me (fully vaxxed still getting sick, one of my friends right now being transported with a Covid-ambulance to the hospital, after 10 days isolated at home, monitoring his saturation, his SO recovering in her own house), I'd say go for cruise only if Eric can get the 3rd jab.

Recent studies here show that the 3rd being injected to immuno-suppressed raised their antibodies by 50%.

+1

Prayers for your friend Dani and hopefully the hospital staff will help your friend recover.

• Like 1