Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

My father in law wrote the story of his life several years before he passed.  It is treasured by his sons.  A friend’s mum passed recently at 92, in the year before when she was still in very good health, her grandchildren interviewed her extensively about her life via audio recordings.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

My daughter and her best friend obtained working holiday visas and lived and worked in London for 18 months.  This was pre-pandemic but during the time London was on high alert for terror attacks.  The horrific and absolutely tragic London Bridge terrorist attack occurred whilst they were there. Despite this, they always felt safe due to the high police presence everywhere and thoroughly enjoyed their time in London.

I flew over at the end of her visa and we had a lovely time in London and then Paris.  

Ops I misunderstood you  I thought she was here now and you'd just come over to visit. 

Glad she has fond memories of her time here. Unhappily we've had bouts of high alerts off and on for decades. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Sadly just cancelled our trip to London.  We have an 11 day Baltic cruise scheduled for August and the plan was to go to London for 5 days first then fly to CPH and do the cruise.  Decided to just do the cruise and save London for another year.

I can understand with our high covid rates at mo. The last thing you want is to catch it before the cruise. 

Can't remember if I said but my sons family including baby Isaac are just getting over it now, as is my brother and family. That means all our extended family on both sides have had it in last three months.  Thankfully all fairly mild. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Sadly just cancelled our trip to London.  We have an 11 day Baltic cruise scheduled for August and the plan was to go to London for 5 days first then fly to CPH and do the cruise.  Decided to just do the cruise and save London for another year.

With the new baby coming in early September we are looking to move our Sept Anthem cruise to July or early August. There are a few Scandinavian cruises out of Southampton or Atlantic coast we are looking at.

• Like 6

Just listened to an interview on the radio of a ships entertainer who helped rescue crew and passengers in the Oceanos sinking in 1991. I never knew this story before. It was extremely interesting hearing how he and other entertainers stepped up to help with the rescue. Everybody was saved

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTS_Oceanos

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Just listened to an interview on the radio of a ships entertainer who helped rescue crew and passengers in the Oceanos sinking in 1991. I never knew this story before. It was extremely interesting hearing how he and other entertainers stepped up to help with the rescue. Everybody was saved

Thanks. Very interesting read. Somehow, I have never heard of this. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Thank you for asking.   Eric is still sluggish and now has congestion.   After a light breakfast this morning he got dizzy standing up.  He has spent most of the day in his recliner and just went back to bed. 

I woke up with scratchy throat, stuffy nose and fever of 99. I am taking Tylenol and Claritin D and muddled through the day working from home.   We both still tested negative with our home kits.   

I spoke with one of his transplant coordinators and she said get PCR test or just assume he has covid and make sure everyone is drinking extra amounts of fluid, monitor his temp and oxygen levels (which have been good) and if he feels worse to call her.  

Thank you for asking 😍

Was Eric tested for the flu?  Myself, Micheline, and our visiting daughter all had what felt exactly like Covid symptoms...everything that you mentioned that Eric has with slight difficulty breathing and a nasty cough.  We all tested negative for Covid with at home tests.  Micheline eventually took our daughter to an express care clinic near us and she tested negative for Covid again (don't think it was PCR but not sure) but positive for Influenza A.  We are all still dealing with a nagging cough, although much better than it was.  A friend here said that they had the same thing and the cough took 6 weeks to go away.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Back when I went barefoot in the house, I was always hooking a toe on furniture or falling and bending them backwards. 
After a few trips to the doctor with them, and having them taped together, I started just doing that at home. Healed just as fast!

Then I realized that if I didn’t go barefoot, it wouldn’t happen any more. 
Problem solved!

10 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I had that happen on a cruise once, but it was the little toe that broke.  Couldn’t put a pair of ice skates on, so that was out.

And, I was the only one dressed in a tux and flip flops on formal night. Too swollen to get shoes on.  

10 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

A broken toe is not fun.  I hope it heals quickly.  

Shoes are now being worn full time in the house.  You think I would have learned by now since this is the 4th time I've broken a toe but it seems to happen about every 10 years.  Twice was the big toe, that was hard to deal with.

At least I am able to get a pair of shoes on and there is no pain.

Merlin went to camp today so I didn't have to worry about taking him for a walk.  We shall see how tomorrow goes, it may be a very slow and short walk that he gets for a few weeks

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks. Very interesting read. Somehow, I have never heard of this. 

Here is another account of it, amazing how some people just step up when the need arises 

BBC News - The guitarist who saved hundreds of people on a sinking cruise liner
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-60841291

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Sorry to hear but I'm sure you did it for all the right reasons. I liked London but it's just a gigantic city.

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

I can understand with our high covid rates at mo. The last thing you want is to catch it before the cruise. 

Can't remember if I said but my sons family including baby Isaac are just getting over it now, as is my brother and family. That means all our extended family on both sides have had it in last three months.  Thankfully all fairly mild. 

We got such a great deal on this cruise there is no way I want to rake a chance of picking up covid.  I know we can pick it up anywhere but we are going to do what we can to lessen our chances.  Adding 5 days to the start of the trip was also a consideration with leaving Merlin for so long.  The 14 days is long enough and we are barely back from our Alaska cruise in July.

London will still be there and maybe when we get there we will take the kids (young adults).  We had found what looked like a great place to stay.  Lincoln Suites, an apartment/hotel, new, very reasonable and a block away from the Waldorf Hilton.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

I have a friend who is a bit famous for breaking her toes doing some crazy thing or another.  The other day she posted a Facebook memory of when she got a "mulch splinter" in a finger from doing Grass Angels in the yard.  Very first comment that popped up was, "But were your toes okay?" 

Buddy tape it, ice it, elevate it, and take ibuprofen/naproxen regularly (anti-inflammatory).  And give Merlin some ear rubbies for me!

LOL.

I think I did the complete opposite...typical guy thing.  Ignore it, hope it goes away on its own.  Ice...too cold and unfortuantely I can't take Ibuprofin (that really sucks).  Tylenol at dinner was it.  Had even planned on breaking out the Tylenol with codeine but never needed them.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Was Eric tested for the flu?  Myself, Micheline, and our visiting daughter all had what felt exactly like Covid symptoms...everything that you mentioned that Eric has with slight difficulty breathing and a nasty cough.  We all tested negative for Covid with at home tests.  Micheline eventually took our daughter to an express care clinic near us and she tested negative for Covid again (don't think it was PCR but not sure) but positive for Influenza A.  We are all still dealing with a nagging cough, although much better than it was.  A friend here said that they had the same thing and the cough took 6 weeks to go away.  

I hadn't thought about flu test.  I will have to see who is offering in our area.  Today is an ugly rainy day so won't mind staying home.

My colonoscopy is scheduled for Monday morning.   I'm going to give it one more day and see how I feel and call them to see if they want to postpone.   I wouldn't be upset if they want to reschedule😁

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Here is another account of it, amazing how some people just step up when the need arises 

Thanks, very interesting. Seeing pictures of how the ship went down reminds me so much of the Andea Doria. She went through very similar stages of sinking though for very different reasons.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I hate that the both of you are not feeling well.  Good thing it hit after the cruise.  Hope it passes quickly.  Drink that water!

Definitely happy we were healthy for our b2b.   I'm sure whatever we have will pass soon.

As soon as I feel better I plan on going to phone store to find out format of photos and have them check permission settings, etc so I can upload some cruise photos.

My seedlings are doing great!   I picked out the keepers the other day.  I started my eggplant seeds on Monday after I made space for them.   How are yours doing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

What a horrific story definitely very heroic of him and his wife to do what they did.   Very disturbing to hear that Sr Officers took off and cared only about themselves.

Amazing to hear no lives were lost.  

Just last week I asked Eric if they leave the key in lifeboats to start engines. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Ugh, I keep forgetting that !  

Glad that it's not too painful, at least!!

This isn't bad as long as I walk carefully...i.e limp along.

It was my arm with the ruptured tendon that I really could have used the Ibuprofin for.  That is finally better...3 months later.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, sgmn said:

I still have the Readers Digest article. 
The captain immediately left the ship in order to “coordinate the rescue from a central location “.I don’t remember if he was charged with anything. I hope he never captained a ship again. 

The photos are so sad… one taken from the air shows the lounge chairs sliding overboard. 
It is amazing that not one life was lost. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

My daughter broke her toe  on the first day of a three week top deck tour of Europe.

My youngest daughter also went on a top deck tour of Europe in 2019 she loved it, and I felt much better to have in a tour than going on her own.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Shoes are now being worn full time in the house.  You think I would have learned by now since this is the 4th time I've broken a toe but it seems to happen about every 10 years.  Twice was the big toe, that was hard to deal with.

Glad the shoes are working.  Last year I was mowing in flip flops and messed up my middle toe.  I now wear shoes to mow.  
‘I really want to do a TA.  With another grandchild on the way we only have a small window to add a 7 day in October/November.  We will need a fall break.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We will need a fall break.

I already know we will need a fall break after having our California grandson spend the summer with us.  Susan was already talking about looking at a west coast cruise after we take him home.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jimbo said:

@A&L_Ont Just watched the best  Hot One's Show ever. If you get a chance check it out, Paul Rudd  is so funny!! 

I will later today. I don’t remember if I mentioned it earlier but Chef Ramsey was hilarious.  I never heard him swear so much. 

• Like 1