Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

11 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Speaking of which: I've just read that the situation in UK is improving.

For the 1st time since July, the R is less than 1 (between 0.7 and 0.9). That's really good news, and it seems that the rate of vaccination is also improving.

I think that for now, the vaccine is the most efficient "weapon" we ALL have against the pandemic.

Thanks Dani, it's been tough the last two months. But over 20% of population vaccinated now. The take up has been higher than expected. Read today only 1% of those offered so far has refused 

Hubby is in group 5 (over 65) and has his first jab scheduled for Monday 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Speaking of which: I've just read that the situation in UK is improving.

For the 1st time since July, the R is less than 1 (between 0.7 and 0.9). That's really good news, and it seems that the rate of vaccination is also improving.

I think that for now, the vaccine is the most efficient "weapon" we ALL have against the pandemic.

Let’s see what happens in Gibraltar.  The last 6 weeks have been brutal.  77 of our 84 deaths have been since 1st January when the UK variant became rampant.  Our R rate is below 0.5.  We have now less than 100 cases of COVID.  Early January we got up to 1000.  Lockdown and closing schools seems to have made a difference.  We wear masks everywhere. 

So now everyone over 70 has had (or been offered) their second vaccination.  All frontline workers and teachers have been vaccinated twice.  Over 60s have all had their first jab, they are now starting on the over 50s and 16-18 yr olds.  

From Monday we are being unlocked again.  The timing of unlocking is according to when vaccination will be kicking in.  If the vaccines have an impact it will mean that the hospital will not be overwhelmed because the elderly - where the majority of hospitalisations came from, will be 95% protected.  The younger population have ‘just’ had a bad case of flu.  That is not a concern of the Govt because you ‘just’ recover with time off work.  

By Easter we will know if the theory works in practice.  Gibraltarians will continue to visit Spain when their restrictions are reduced, so we will take and get infections.  We are a bit like Israel in getting on with our vaccination programme so we will be able to see how efficient the “weapon” is.  

Fingers and toes crossed.  With an efficient vaccine programme please let us start to be able to travel again.  Gibraltar is only 6.8 sq km.  It would be nice to go somewhere else.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

Thanks Dani, it's been tough the last two months. But over 20% of population vaccinated now. The take up has been higher than expected. Read today only 1% of those offered so far has refused 

Hubby is in group 5 (over 65) and has his first jab scheduled for Monday 

That's brilliant news Sue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Hope the pain is short lived Pat and you and Bucky are fine tomorrow.

Thanks Graham....still very sore arm...but not as bad as feeling like having the flu yesterday.  Marching on to hoped for (mostly) partial immunity.  😄 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, definitely much better than getting Covid.   Are you allowed to take Tylenol for the aches and pains or maybe some wine instead 😘

Yes...that would be a definite affirmative!  🤗   Bucky took two Ibuprofen, and I took two Tylenol.  Both of us feeling better quickly.  And the wine at happy hour?.....that sealed the deal. 😄 🍷

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Keksie said:

Thank you.  I am going to try it. 

It's fun...even if it doesn't survive.  😉   Best part is when you see a tiny sprout pop up from the seed pit...and don't be surprised if and when you see the pit split open...doesn't hurt it.  

Edited by island lady

11 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Well, we were supposed to be in Fort Lauderdale right now, looking forward to being on the Vision on our way down to the Canal and back. Instead of plunking our butts in the suite lounge next Monday, we'll be shivering in our below zero temps.

I hear ya...we were supposed to be cruising along the  north coast of Australia right now.  😞 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, island lady said:

It's fun...even if it doesn't survive.  😉   Best part is when you see a tiny sprout pop up from the seed pit...and don't be surprised if and when you see the pit split open...doesn't hurt it.  

My mother grew one that was 8' tall from a pit.  I wasn't at home then so I never knew how she did it.  It will be fun.  On the pineapples you just put the top on a pot of soil correct?

9 minutes ago, Keksie said:

My mother grew one that was 8' tall from a pit.  I wasn't at home then so I never knew how she did it.  It will be fun.  On the pineapples you just put the top on a pot of soil correct?

We left our 20 plus foot tree back at our old house.  It was quite happy in our side yard...I miss it.  That was my first attempt at growing one.  

I cut the top off the Pineapple, leaving about 2 inches of "Meat" attached to the green top.  Stick that in a bowl of water (no toothpics needed) and keep water changed daily (or will start to stink and rot).  Leave it in the water for about a week, then transfer to good quality garden soil in a pot with the yellow meat part covered completely.   Then Bucky takes over.  Doesn't need a lot of water as it grows, and in fact just water the green part...not the soil.  More on that:

Pineapples are of the Bromeliad family (genus: Ananas). They are tropical, succulent plants, needing more air humidity than fluid water. There are over 2,500 natural species with thousands more hybrids and cultivars.Jan 23, 2020

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, island lady said:

I hear ya...we were supposed to be cruising along the  north coast of Australia right now.  😞 

That stinks.  I've given up even thinking about cruising and the the places I've missed until things settle down.  At least we have a trip to Sanibel in April to look forward to 😎 I had a long overdue skin scan and Dr removed total of 11 moles.  Two were precancerous.  Having two excisions.  SPF 50 from on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, island lady said:

Since we are in Florida, I used a "Florida Avocado" for my start.  Naturally ate it's mother 😉  then took the pit and set it in a small bowl of water with four tooth pics stuck at 1/4 inch around each in the middle with the "hole" you see pointed down into the water.  Half inside the water, half outside.  

Set in the window inside for sunlight, and watched it for 3 weeks.  Sure enough a little sprout started up on it, and tiny roots coming out of the bottom.  Waited another 2 weeks, then transferred into the pot of dirt.  Growing fast now.  

Picture I found on line might help you...

Image result for growing an avocado from a seed

Oooh sounds interesting, think I'll have a go too, can they grow in a green house in a temperate climate I wonder 🤔

11 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Oooh sounds interesting, think I'll have a go too, can they grow in a green house in a temperate climate I wonder 🤔

Just read up about it, apparently in UK they are mainly grown as an indoor plant for their foliage. 

Think i'll still have a go though 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

That stinks.  I've given up even thinking about cruising and the the places I've missed until things settle down.  At least we have a trip to Sanibel in April to look forward to 😎 I had a long overdue skin scan and Dr removed total of 11 moles.  Two were precancerous.  Having two excisions.  SPF 50 from on.

Ouch...cut on four times for me.  😞 

I am still waiting for RCI to officially cancel my two upcoming May cruises.  Will be totally shocked if they don't!  😮 

Then....will be spending the summer in Maine, way up in the remote areas along the "downeast" section of far north/eastern part.  Rental homes...no worries about masks inside those...and we are now fully vaccinated.  Whew...

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Yes, indeed!  They are part of the Bromeliade family...see those a lot inside various hotels, resorts as house plants...etc.  

On 2/11/2021 at 7:20 PM, Tree_skier said:

Beautiful pictures Dani. I've always wanted to visit Israel.  

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

So have I. 

I've found you the "ultimate" cruise visiting Israel !!

One full day in Haifa (Sea of Galilee where Jesus walked on water, and Nazareth), and an overnight in Ashdod (6AM until 7PM the following day) -- plenty of time to enjoy Jerusalem, BethLehem, the Dead Sea, etc.

Celebrity Apex, September 22nd, 2022. One and only excellent itinerary IMHO.

Also, September (or May) are best times to visit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Ocean Boy

[I don't want to post too much on Bella's thread, as not to "supersede" her]

A "taste" of Capri and the Amalfi Coast. We rented a house on the hills of Praiano with our BFF and DH, who is the designated driver, cook and photographer, drove us to Amalfi, Ravelo, Positano, Sorento, etc.

Capri - upon recommendations from TripAdvisor, we rented a boat with a "driver", who took the 4 of us to the best parts of the island. While thoroughly researching, I understood that not every day or even every hour you can enter the Blue Grotto, and I didn't want to "chance" it.

As it was, he took us to places where the water had amazing blue and green colors. At the time, DH didn't have a good camera, as he has now....

Capri

Italy Amalfi 2010 098.jpg

1482462911_ItalyAmalfi2010106.thumb.jpg.c937ef7962833e14b5252ef42544ced9.jpg

From the terrace of the villa in Praiano

Italy Amalfi 2010 135.jpg

View from Ravelo

Italy Amalfi 2010 152.jpg

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I've found you the "ultimate" cruise visiting Israel !!

One full day in Haifa (Sea of Galilee where Jesus walked on water, and Nazareth), and an overnight in Ashdod (6AM until 7PM the following day) -- plenty of time to enjoy Jerusalem, BethLehem, the Dead Sea, etc.

Celebrity Apex, September 22nd, 2022. One and only excellent itinerary IMHO.

Also, September (or May) are best times to visit.

Dani that itinerary sounds amazing.  I will be fully vaccinated by then as well.  And Apex looks like an amazing ship.  Thank you, I haven't even been checking out cruises for months.  Still need to plan a Greek Isles cruise to make up for the one we both missed in September 2020.

2 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Dani that itinerary sounds amazing.  I will be fully vaccinated by then as well.  And Apex looks like an amazing ship.  Thank you, I haven't even been checking out cruises for months.  Still need to plan a Greek Isles cruise to make up for the one we both missed in September 2020.

Indeed, it is -- not often can you find a 3 day stay in the same place, may be on higher end lines....

I think I've mentioned that I've found an 90% replacement for the September 2020 we both missed -- Apex in September 2021, 12 days, including Malta. I was sure that September 2021 is a safe bet...

Last week I've decided to "hedge" my bets, and transferred part of the deposit to another Edge class (Edge) for May 2022. The itinerary is nothing to write home about, but I absolutely need a cruise and want to experiment the Edge class.

As of now, I have 2 cruises booked on Apex & Edge, both with refundable deposits....

Sadly, I'm quite sure that September 2021 will be a "no" 😢.

• Like 1