Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Very similar. It comes dry, like pasta and cooks like pasta as well, about 8-10 minutes in low boiling water or broth.

Well, is "couscous style", not the real thing 😉

Re: what you posted [Israeli style...] -- I've just noticed that's exactly what we call here "Petitim", very popular with kids, and we're also using them, mainly in the winter months. DH is adding finely chopped onion, and cooks them until they're brownish.

I love my real couscous with steamed vegetables from a chicken soup.

As a matter of fact, at the resort we were this week, they served a very copious included breakfast, and on the first day -- they had couscous as the "special of the breakfast"....  Of course I took a nice portion, when everyone around me was dutifully eating omelettes.... 

Omelettes at breakfast are so over rated 😁😁

Fake couscous.jpg

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, island lady said:

We are back from our trip to the grocery store and the Lobster pound.  These guys are taking up way too much room in my fridge right now, but I didn't want them eating my veggies!  😮 

Bucky collecting fresh sea water from in front of the house to steam them in, which was recommended by the lobster people as much better than with sea salt added to steam them in.   

Corn and red pots prepped and ready to steam as well, but first...it's time for happy hour!  😉 

20210617_140647.jpg

20210617_155538.jpg

20210617_155601.jpg

20210617_155613.jpg

The band on the upper lobster looks like he's trying to escape - be careful of the right jab!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, island lady said:

Bucky collecting fresh sea water from in front of the house to steam them in, which was recommended by the lobster people as much better than with sea salt added to steam them in.   

I’ve never heard of this but it sure makes sense!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I’ve never heard of this but it sure makes sense!

We always went out in our uncle’s lobster boat. Dipped up sea water and boiled corn on the cob. Poured that water overboard, then hauled  a string of traps and cooked the lobsters. If there were any left over, we’d have made lobster rolls for supper. We could easily eat 3 lobsters each, meat, tomalley, and coral. 
Good times, and we knew it!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SGTTUBA75 said:

Cracker Barrel seems to have completely changed their menu. No oatmeal or fruit among some changes. Went from menu of 6 pages to 4. Hopefully this is temporary. Although our Cracker Barrel seems to be always crowded, the Mgr said other areas (States) are less fortunate. 

I love Cracker Barrel more for their store than their food.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Kibbutzes are very popular places for volunteers from all over the world. As it happens, one Jewish girl, member of the kibbutz, meets a nice Catholic/Protestant/Methodist/etc. guy [or vice versa], and they marry and live happily ever after either in the kibbutz, or in the non-Jewish party's country.

Some convert to Judaism, some not.

In most cases, the Jewish party doesn't convert to the "other" religion or doesn't need to, because the option of civil marriage exist in all the countries, beside Israel....

Sadly, in Israel the only option is a religious marriage, which doesn't allow interfaith.

Not only that, your "Jewishness" has to meet very strict requirements.

For starters -- to be Jewish, you'll need a Jewish mother.

When I went to register to get married, I was required to bring my mother [in order to "verify" my Jewishness, according to the rabbbi]. The reason - I immigrated from Romania, where there were many mixed marriages.... so, may be my father married outside his religion???

So my mother came and immediately started speaking Yiddish with the rabbi.

I was "verified".....

BTW, my DS2 and DIL opted out of a religious marriage -- they made their vows in front of family and friends and threw a nice party. We absolutely agree.

I was married in Israel, me an American, Jack an Israeli.  I had to bring two notarized letters from 2 Jewish men, not women to state they know me and my mother and that my mother is Jewish. Once in Israel, I found out I had to bring a MAN not a woman, to whatever agency grants permission to marry that knew me in the USA.  We were stumped and thought we would never be able to marry in Israel.  We were walking in Tel Aviv when we ran into Nachum who we met on the ship coming to Israel from NY so technically he knew me in the US.  He was kind enough to go back with us and I was finally verified.    

Ridiculous and insulting about the gender specifications.

Sorry, off my soap box.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, singinalot said:

I just uploaded the second video from Saturday’s trip for those that are interested:

42A95948-13DD-40B1-A5AD-2FA1BC9B3A0A.jpeg

0935F2E3-C7D5-4B22-868E-30FB35D581F6.jpeg

3F64AFAD-9586-4F6E-A902-295DC2C9868A.jpeg

8D93E72F-20F6-4B01-8877-90796D25B10C.jpeg

C0A8E765-99AF-4766-AB38-678CE9225554.jpeg

DA6A76D0-CCB6-49A7-92F8-15FD0E0CEA82.jpeg

3A518874-2142-49F7-AF9B-D252A7B1C908.jpeg

D1F15BDE-7314-4B1C-80E3-DB568F9E88F0.jpeg

B687DAA6-EC0A-42D4-BCB1-A5A43291D976.jpeg

Thanks for posting such beautiful and informative photos and video  Snow capped mountains are so majestic.  Nice to learn about a part of the country I have never visited.

• Like 2

Just got to Owen’s impromptu socially distant soccer practice. The three other kids have yet to arrive. 

7A986718-D470-4DCC-9808-05DD2AC93851.thumb.jpeg.9eefcf460a640c118d3d6da71d38073d.jpeg

Official baseball practice at 8:15 to 9:30 for the Minor Bantum Rep team. Thankfully it’s only yards away. 

F9CDBAB8-C74E-40DB-83D6-62B51F111264.thumb.jpeg.22e21e968aacc7fb5103477195e3730a.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Well, is "couscous style", not the real thing 😉

Re: what you posted [Israeli style...] -- I've just noticed that's exactly what we call here "Petitim", very popular with kids, and we're also using them, mainly in the winter months. DH is adding finely chopped onion, and cooks them until they're brownish.

I love my real couscous with steamed vegetables from a chicken soup.

As a matter of fact, at the resort we were this week, they served a very copious included breakfast, and on the first day -- they had couscous as the "special of the breakfast"....  Of course I took a nice portion, when everyone around me was dutifully eating omelettes.... 

Omelettes at breakfast are so over rated 😁😁

Fake couscous.jpg

I'm a big fan of poached eggs with farro in Coastal Kitchen.

Oasis does it best

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

island lady....what time is dinner?  I'm only about a half hour away.  Enjoy your lobstah dinner!

Probably a bit more than than an hour.  😉  We are north of Bar Harbor.  And burrrp...too late.  😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, singinalot said:

I just uploaded the second video from Saturday’s trip for those that are interested:

The story about the sheriff that shot his wife was pretty crazy. Makes me wonder if he had to shoot her a second time before he buried her or if he just hurried her alive. 🤷‍♂️😳

8 hours ago, akcruz said:

Beautiful.  We rented for 2 weeks in LBI each summer for close to 20 years with family.  Started when my daughter was 5 and  my son and nephew were just a year old, with 4 more cousins came along over the years so we had a full house.  Most years we were on 17th street in Beach Haven 2 houses from the beach. 

Spent many a nights at Hudson House once the kids went to sleep leaving them with grandparents, my daughter was excited to go on her 21st birthday with the "grown ups". 

Miss it all, great memories.

We own a home on 23rd St in Spray Beach.   We are 8 houses from the beach but still able to hear the ocean from our front deck.     My parents used to have a house on 20th street and we lived down here all summer.    I love it here!     

We rent the home out year round.   Our winter tenants left memorial day weekend and we will stay here till end of June then have it rented out the rest of the summer.   

We will do lots of weekend trips and either stay with friends at their homes or stay at the Spray Beach Hotel right down the road from our house.   

Yes, Hudson House is our absolute favorite bar.    Love playing shuffle board, pin ball, pool, etc etc.    always have fun 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, George C said:

One of our cats Gracie loves mod people food has just finished eating some Cheetos popcorn, she will attempt to attack my wife tilapia in about a hour she also likes hamburgers and meatballs.

Eva loves scallops and salmon.    Sparky doesn't have any interest whatsoever in people food. 

One of our previous cats loved olives and fresh greens beans.     When she would hear me snapping the ends off the beans she would come running and snack away.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Probably a bit more than than an hour.  😉  We are north of Bar Harbor.  And burrrp...too late.  😉 

Well dang...here I was thinking you were in LBI...so much for my butting in late.  Glad you enjoyed your dinner!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Eva loves scallops and salmon.    Sparky doesn't have any interest whatsoever in people food. 

One of our previous cats loved olives and fresh greens beans.     When she would hear me snapping the ends off the beans she would come running and snack away.    

The weirdest thing I’ve seen was Gracie eating fried pasta while it was cooking in a hot frying pan. We definitely have to watch her while cooking or eating,