Equinox tips & secrets

ejnsb

It's understandable that most posts these days are about refunds, credits, etc. etc. But we just booked an August 9 cruise and would love your input.  Our recent sailings have been NCL and Carnival.   Have never sailed X.  What would you experienced Celebrity cruisers recommend?

14 hours ago, ejnsb said:

It's understandable that most posts these days are about refunds, credits, etc. etc. But we just booked an August 9 cruise and would love your input.  Our recent sailings have been NCL and Carnival.   Have never sailed X.  What would you experienced Celebrity cruisers recommend?

Hi, we have only cruised twice, Celebrity and NCL...  First cruise was Celebrity. 

I can tell you from our (DH and my) perspective,  Celebrity really knocks it out of the park compared to NCL.  Staff was far more accommodating, and generally "nicer", dining differences were HUGE, food offerings on X were dramatically better.  In fact the food on NCL was barely palatable!  We had same level for both (Aqua class, and I don't remember the name for NCL, but same level), we had a lot more interaction with our cabin crew on X, more attentive, and just generally better service.  The cabins on X were larger, and everything seemed cleaner and better cared for.  That is not to say we didn't meet some awesome staff while on board NCL, we did, but just felt like X was the far better managed ship.

From that, we have decided to use only X or Disney for the current time.  It would take a lot to convince us to switch again.

Oops, forgot to say Entertainment!  Huge difference, much better on X!

Hope this helps, and hope you have as good an experience as we.  We're  booked for January  2022, hopefully this Covid 19 will be over.

Have a wonderful trip!

Edited by NonnaTLC
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, ejnsb said:

Wonder where you might be cruising?  Would make comments more relevant.

In general the food on Celebrity is excellent.  We love the cook to order stations in the Oceanview Cafe.  We love second seating or eating late so you can sit in the dining room and have lots of time.  DW loves the room service for breakfast.  I like reading in any of the lounges on upper decks.

Enjoy - hope you cruise happens.

• Like 1

First cruise was Disney (4 day) and subsequently sailed NCL twice, Carnival once and ever since have sailed Celebrity on 6 Caribbean cruises and three of those Equinox (one 11 day and two 7 days).  LOVE Celebrity for their service, the less chaotic feel to the experience on board, the food and the ships themselves.  I do not need (nor really do I want) slides and water parks, I want to feel of the calm of the ocean.

I loved my first cruise on NCL on the Pearl, but the next one on the Epic turned me sour to NCL due to a collection of things and I had been reluctant to sail them again (fast forward that I ironically decided to try again on March 15th and we know how that ended).  Cruising on Carnival Victory I felt was okay but the food situation did not impress me and felt everything was one long lineup ... another cruise line that I 'may' try again in the future.  The Carnival was southern out of San Juan and I think the itinerary of a port every day might have had an impact on the on board experience with everyone getting off same time each day ??  

Fast forward to taking another cruise out of San Juan on my first Celebrity cruise.  I cannot even tell you how different that cruise experience was from the Carnival Victory.  It was like a different world.  Hard to pinpoint it all but things like 'good morning' from officers as they passed by you, or the table service of coffee and drinks in the buffet (this astounded me), or that Guest Services counter was seldom busy ... maybe couple in line at any one time ... NCL was lined up 20 long all the time on the EPIC which is a statement in itself.  Or maybe it was the feeling of solitude one could find here and there around the ship. I have never changed my view on this on subsequent sailings.

I will say that for me NCL steals the show with entertainment, the Legends show on the EPIC was fantastic.  Celebrity seems dull to me as did Carnival but this is very subjective and I don't sail for their entertainment or I would often be disappointed.  I have walked out of a show on every cruise I've taken 🙂  Even Blue Man group on NCL was not to my taste, seemed silly.

I don't have any suggested things to do, instead I will say enjoy the more 'adult' feel to the cruise.  And definitely enjoy Cafe El Banco if you have the drink package, nothing like chilling with a cappuccino and people watching.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2020 at 2:00 PM, ejnsb said:

Thanks for your responses.   I should have mentioned our ports are Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.  

My friend and I did the same cruise on the Equinox in February, right before all this madness started.  I have done five cruises on NCL (Epic twice, Getaway, Jade and Bliss), and one each on Carnival and Royal Caribbean ages ago. Here's my take: Celebrity is a more upscale cruise in most every way I can think of.  I usually get a balcony but sailed in Feb with a friend in an inside cabin to keep the cost down and we did not have upgraded dining for the same reason.  I'll start with dining.  I usually get upgraded dining but I felt like I didn't need it with Celebrity.  I could have escargot with dinner every night if I wanted - in the main dining room. They still had lobster tails one evening and I haven't had that on any of my cruises in regular dining within the past five years or so.  Just small examples but I felt like I was in upgraded dining every single night in the main dining room.

The room was fine and cleaned constantly but I've not had a room problem on any ship that I can remember.  Celebrity is definitely an older crowd.  They have a different show every night which was a nice change.  Every singer could belt it out with the pros.  The aerial artist/gymnast was phenomenal. They had incredibly comfy lounges and hammock type things on the main pool deck too - not just for the people that paid eight times what we did for our trip.  The observation lounge is great - NCL Bliss is the only other ship I had been on to have one.  MANY less children on our Celebrity cruise at least - we made our way around the ship very well with different dining, pool time, activities, etc. and I know I only saw less than a dozen different children the entire time.  I will definitely cruise Celebrity again with my boyfriend (who doesn't have children and will love the quiet, relaxing vibe of Celebrity) but if I was going to do a girl's trip, I'd go for NCL or maybe give RC a try again.  Not sure if you could get me on Carnival again but I have a friend who is trying.  Please feel free to ask any questions you have - about the ship, ports, etc.  Hope your cruise doesn't get cancelled and it is safe to go by then.  I miss travel. 😞 Who am I kidding, I miss leaving my house for anything other than a drive through or curbside pickup.

• Like 1

I have looked at that itinerary on Equinox...only wish it was a little bit longer.  We have been on Equinox one time, prior to the revolution.  I think she is a beautiful ship and the perfect size...not too small and not a mega ship either.  All things being equal though, I prefer Reflection and Silhouette over any of the other S-class ships.  While the basic footprint of each ship is mostly the same, there are subtle differences in each.

Celebrity as a cruise line is our favorite, although we also travel quite a bit with NCL.  We like the food on Celebrity but find the evening entertainment to be a bit lacking at times.  It is certainly has a more laid back and sophisticated feel to her than NCL IMO.

One thing I liked on Equinox was the Crush Bar which served nothing but frozen drinks.  Something I didn't care for was the Persian Gardens...not as many options as Reflection.

Regardless, if you are on a cruise, it's going to be great!!

• Like 1

We enjoyed some of our best cruise dining ever in the speciality restaurants last year. Tuscan had reliably well cooked steaks, Murano’s was wonderful and service in both was simply outstanding. If you can get a dining package and enjoy!

• Like 1

We have sailed on Equinox before and I will say it is my favorite S-Class ship for the Caribbean.  Not only is the pool deck wonderful, but they have the "Slush" bar on the pool deck that isn't on any other ship - fabulous adult beverages made with fresh fruit and top shelf alcohol! 

One thing you should be aware of on a Celebrity ship - even without a beverage package, the tasty treats at Cafe al Bacio are free and some of the best on the ship!

We will (hopefully) be on Equinox again in September and I can't wait! Hope you get to go too!

• Like 1

Good to hear about the unique things Equinox has to offer. We should have been sailing on the 21st, doing Key West, etc plus New Orleans 😥. At least we have the opportunity to sail on her next year, have a Caribbean trip booked. We have been on Eclipse and Silhouette before.

• Like 1