X should adopt these changes for social distancing going forward.

Pennstatedj

How about one way corridors with arrows on the carpet in cabin areas.  Delta Airlines is currently not assigning center seats.  Maybe the cruise ships will leave every other cabin vacant in the beginning. Perhaps ordering drinks on a Princess like medallion doesn’t sound so silly anymore.  The multiple hands on cruise cards has to go.

11 hours ago, TeeRick said:

OK I am truly hoping that there will be NO NEED for social distancing once the world decides it is safe to cruise again.  Why do we want to continue this practice when life gets back to being relatively normal?  I still want to sit at the World Class Bar or Martini Bar and make new friends.  Not so easy to do if bar stools are 6 feet apart!😊

And no one to break your fall when you fall off the stool

• Like 2

Social distancing is just not possible on a cruise!  Doing away with the MDR?  Then what- eat in your cabin? With the nice chairs and tables in the suites and cabins of the new Edge Class, where you hardly can have a cup of tea?

Ms. Hoskins or whatever her name is - had nice and decorative ideas- but highly impractical for having a meal in ones cabin.

They can set the tables further apart- but then there are still table which seat 4 or more passengers.

Muster drill - where one sits almost in the lap of ones neigbor? Check in- with at least 6 feet in between- the lines would be a few miles long...!

Edited by Germancruiser

3 hours ago, Denny01 said:

And I when i saw a couple with two seats between them, I thought they were just saving seats for friends....and I’d give them the ‘evil eye’!.....and here they were practicing Social Distancing before any of us knew what it was!!

I can barely wait for all the complainers when my friends and I go to El Bacio to play cards for an extended time and we each take a separate table and toss the cards at each table.....and don’t order anything!!!

Den

Only fair on M-class since they stole the card room to create the space. Guess you'll have to use poker chips - tough to toss greenbacks that far!

See  Link below  to an Interesting article on Cruise Critic main pages about an Asian lines new approach... Some  of it sounds ok, but most seems not practical or affordable ;  and also sounds very antiseptic like a hospital. Or a "bleach cruise!"

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5257/?et_cid=3324627&et_rid=16760876&et_referrer=NULL

• Thanks 1

OK, lets get serious here. Right now we are all pretty much Stay at Home, and the recommendations have been that if you are in a group, make it 10 or less, sooooooo:

Only allow 10 people per cruise.....no, that won’t work; Only allow 10 people per deck, thats 140 or so per cruise...no that won’t work; how about 10 per common area, that’s about 600 people! Better than none, right? And the ship dan run  6 shows a day to allow the 10 to watch it in the theater; run 6 breakfasts/lunches/dinners for 10 each; 6 tours at each port.....Wow that may be kind of neat wouldn’t it!?!  A 3,000 person ship with 600 of us on it.....the only problem will be the 30 or so crew that would be allowed on....oops. 

Den

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I still want to sit at the Martini Bar and make new friends.  Not so easy to do if bar stools are 6 feet apart!😊

Not easy anyway... Martini Bar music is ssooo loud...

HOW LOUD IS IT??? 

It's ssooo loud, I can't hear MY half of the conversation, let alone the other person.

OR... maybe it's just that I finally got old...😀

I think I need to go pour myself a "flight."

Edited by teecee60
  • Like 1

teecee60- no,  you do not get finaly old- well you do- i hope you get very very old. Anyhow that has nothing whatsoever to do that the music in those Martini Bar´s is far far to loud- and I am just got around the magic 50th. LOL!

I almost stopped cruising with X for that very reason ( and a few other changes I do not at all like)

Well for the time beeing we all have stopped cruising!

The could line up all those empthy ships - beginning in the Port of Miami- so one could almost  " walk" to the Bahamas! LOL!

Oh well they could always start with Key West first..

• Like 1

Social Distancing on a cruise ship - 

(1) keep people in their cabins

(2) deliver food to their doors

(3) allow them out of their cabin for an hour a day to exercise

why would it be different to Social Distancing at home?

Edited by DYKWIA

3 minutes ago, DYKWIA said:

Social Distancing on a cruise ship - 

(1) keep people in their cabins

(2) deliver food to their doors

(3) allow them out of their cabin for an hour a day to exercise

why would it be different to Social Distancing at home?

And you get to pay big bucks for the experience!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Besides all the technicalities which are wrong with the ideas...
Social-Distancing and cruises are a paradox! Socializing is a major part of the fun on cruises!

Right. So until there is a vaccine for Covid 19 it would be insane to go on a cruise. Cruises should remain suspended until there is one. Maybe in 2021 it will be safe to resume cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Right. So until there is a vaccine for Covid 19 it would be insane to go on a cruise. Cruises should remain suspended until there is one. Maybe in 2021 it will be safe to resume cruises.

I do not necessarily see that as the result...

There is no vaccine against Noro, SARS, Svine flu etc. and still cruises did and will happen.
I think once a major part of people have been infected and became immune, we will have to learn to live with the remaining risk.
Of course, that will be a quite a while from now. If a vaccine is developed earlier (which is not impossible), all the better...

• Like 1

These restrictions work only as recommendations. You cannot force people to stay away from each other. It will all depend on their mental understanding of the situation. As far as the rest goes, people stop limiting each other. I cannot image bein isolated from other people on board the ship.. I mean in this case I would rather no take a cruise in the first place

You could have all the Social Distancing ideas in place, but for the foreseeable future, the first whiff of any trouble and no port will accept the ship and you'll be in lock-down hell for weeks.

• Like 3

I do not necessarily see that as the result...

There is no vaccine against Noro, SARS, Svine flu etc. and still cruises did and will happen.

I think once a major part of people have been infected and became immune, we will have to learn to live with the remaining risk.

Of course, that will be a quite a while from now. If a vaccine is developed earlier (which is not impossible), all the better...

There is a swine flu vaccine. SARS was contained. There are trials for Covid 19 vaccines. That is why I think 2021 is hopeful for restarting cruises. A vaccine will happen. If the cruise lines manage to restart cruises before a vaccine no way I will go. You don’t go on a cruise to be socially distant. It would not be enjoyable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hcat said:

See  Link below  to an Interesting article on Cruise Critic main pages about an Asian lines new approach... Some  of it sounds ok, but most seems not practical or affordable ;  and also sounds very antiseptic like a hospital. Or a "bleach cruise!"

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5257/?et_cid=3324627&et_rid=16760876&et_referrer=NULL

To be sure they are implementing ideas to the max, until another line chooses something more to do.

The article did indicate that the jury was still out on how some of these measures will be received by 'Westerners' and that does remain to be tried and seen.

Not sure how I would react to this, yet, maybe once to see if I could take it or not... LOL

Just to get on a ship...

In health and bon voyage

17 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Buffets?  Do away with MDRs first.  They are over crowded, noisy, packed with wait staff.  These places are truly support the infestations of all sorts of diseases.

Do you avoid restaurants at home?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Besides all the technicalities which are wrong with the ideas...
Social-Distancing and cruises are a paradox! Socializing is a major part of the fun on cruises!

m - there are, and I have met a few, passengers who cruise just to be alone and enjoy their down time and I can understand and accept that... even though MY approach/desire in sailing is purely, social, drinking and eating and more social!

😎

In health and bon voyage

• Like 2

Vaccine?  COVID-19 is mutating according to the virologists.  Just as there is a different strain every season, flu between the northern and southern hemispheres differs.  Betting on the vaccine that covers all is overly optimistic.  Then there are those who don't believe in vaccines and refuse.  How do you certify that everyone is vaccinated properly for the specific strain of virus?

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Denny01 said:

OK, lets get serious here. Right now we are all pretty much Stay at Home, and the recommendations have been that if you are in a group, make it 10 or less, sooooooo:

Only allow 10 people per cruise.....no, that won’t work; Only allow 10 people per deck, thats 140 or so per cruise...no that won’t work; how about 10 per common area, that’s about 600 people! Better than none, right? And the ship dan run  6 shows a day to allow the 10 to watch it in the theater; run 6 breakfasts/lunches/dinners for 10 each; 6 tours at each port.....Wow that may be kind of neat wouldn’t it!?!  A 3,000 person ship with 600 of us on it.....the only problem will be the 30 or so crew that would be allowed on....oops. 

Den

It sounds like some of us would be better off cruising on our own private yachts.  Captain, two crew,  me and dw, and then 5 guests (temp checked of course).  That's 10.  Unfortunately I will need the financial market to come back and then some!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bo1953 said:

m - there are, and I have met a few, passengers who cruise just to be alone and enjoy their down time and I can understand and accept that...

Well, you find odd ones out anywhere... LOL

Just joking! Of course we also accept that. Actually we also enjoy our peace and quiet on cruises and we usually do our own thing. However, we also enjoy meeting and speaking to interesting people during dinner etc.. 

In general cruising without socializing would not be the same at all!

• Haha 1