CDC 100 Day No Sail Order

PhillyFan33579

I think the new startup cruises will be open to local passengers only so no flying to your cruise for a while.

Maybe the larger ships only but at half capacity and going to "friendly" ports.

None of this might be possible until there is a known negative test for the virus and/or antibodies testing.

My personal guess for the phased in startup.....September.

21 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Latest stats seem to show more people between 30 and 60 are catching this that above 65.

That stands to reason. People over 65 are predominantly retired and can stay home and self-isolate more effectively than people 30 to 60 who might be in the essential workforce and still be out and about therefore at risk of exposure.

• Like 2

Agree with the several posters above, the cruise lines' only real way out of this is when mass rapid testing becomes available, and can be given at ports to all embarking passengers, symptomatic or not.  When cruise lines can actually conduct revenue service again with a realistic COVID-19 mitigation plan will largely hinge on when enough of these tests become available for cruise lines to go through tens of thousands per week without depleting the stockpiles needed for hospitals and more critical assets.

The cost of the test (and other mitigations) may likely offset some of the discounts I think we're all hoping to see once the industry returns and cruise lines enact fire sale pricing to bring people back.  But I think making a robust plan that exceeds the CDC demands -- and making that fact very public -- will be far more important than any pricing action at bringing people back. 

1 minute ago, Aoumd said:

Agree with the several posters above, the cruise lines' only real way out of this is when mass rapid testing becomes available, and can be given at ports to all embarking passengers, symptomatic or not.  When cruise lines can actually conduct revenue service again with a realistic COVID-19 mitigation plan will largely hinge on when enough of these tests become available for cruise lines to go through tens of thousands per week without depleting the stockpiles needed for hospitals and more critical assets.

The cost of the test (and other mitigations) may likely offset some of the discounts I think we're all hoping to see once the industry returns and cruise lines enact fire sale pricing to bring people back.  But I think making a robust plan that exceeds the CDC demands -- and making that fact very public -- will be far more important than any pricing action at bringing people back. 

I do not think that feasible at this time or any time in the near future.  Sure it would be best case

1 hour ago, Radiioman46 said:

What I find puzzling is that there has never been a definition of what constitutes the conditions for the end game. IOW, what is the definition of circumstances that determine this COVID 19 crisis is over? 

A very interesting question, and I also have not seen an answer. OTOH, China seems to be starting the process of going back to normal, so there must be some protocol to follow.

Back to my previous post, does the CDC have authority to mandate the 100 day ban on cruising.  If you notice in John Heald's post, he called it the CDC recommendation.  But he makes it sound like they don't necessarily have to follow the "recommendation".  

15 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

If Covid-19 is no longer a health emergency, this order could expire sooner than 100 days.  My opinion is that cruising may begin in July, but June is always a possibility as a best case scenario.  I didn't feel comfortable booking a cruise until September. Even September is up in the air to me right now.

"On April 9, 2020, CDC renewed the No Sail Order and Other Measures Related to Operations Order signed by the CDC Director on March 14, 2020—subject to the modifications and additional stipulated conditions as set forth in this Order. This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of (1) the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency; (2) the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations; or (3) 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register."

Just another point on this issue: In 2009 the H1N1 national health emergency lasted for 1 year. YIKES!

I'm on the optimistic side of this. I hope they are able to get things going sooner rather than later. Our next cruise is scheduled for Feb 2021, so hopefully this will be old news by then.

8 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Back to my previous post, does the CDC have authority to mandate the 100 day ban on cruising.  If you notice in John Heald's post, he called it the CDC recommendation.  But he makes it sound like they don't necessarily have to follow the "recommendation".  

Yes, they have the authority to prevent passenger vessels from embarking passengers in US ports.  Most of what Heald says can be taken with a few grains of salt.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, they have the authority to prevent passenger vessels from embarking passengers in US ports.  Most of what Heald says can be taken with a few grains of salt.

Yeah, I get that about Heald, 😃.  We are getting so many mixed messages (not just about cruising) its frustrating.  In my perfect world, there would be one place to receive all factual information on all fronts.  BTW, the sky is blue on my planet😉

2 hours ago, Radiioman46 said:

What I find puzzling is that there has never been a definition of what constitutes the conditions for the end game. IOW, what is the definition of circumstances that determine this COVID 19 crisis is over? 

I'm hoping in a year or two. Coronaviruses were first discovered in 1965 as the cause of a lot of upper respiratory disease. No doubt around a lot longer than that. COVID19 is a really bad strain. I'm sure it will run it's course in a year or two just like the Spanish Flu did 100 years ago. 

On the bright side it doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as the Spanish Flu was. Let's just hope that the next time Coronavirus rears it's ugly head that it just causes the  common cold like it has for years.

Just my opinion. 

There are ways to cut back on sick passengers. The first thing is to allow to cancel if they feel a flu or cold coming on with a full refund with a doctors note. There are plenty of people that live nearby that can jump on a cruise in a couple days notice. I don't think it would be difficult to take temps. either. No self serve buffets. On turn around day...a complete cleaning and sail the next day!

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Don't think it would be in any cruise lines best interest to go against the CDC recommendations . Talk about playing with 🔥.  

Best to just accept what CDC is saying without deviation, will make life easier for cruise lines.

42 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Don't think it would be in any cruise lines best interest to go against the CDC recommendations . Talk about playing with 🔥.  

Best to just accept what CDC is saying without deviation, will make life easier for cruise lines.

I dont think they are going to try and sail until, the submit a mitigation plan that addresses the concerns.  If the CDC lifts the stay on day 10 or 100, then they (and they is meaning any cruise line) can cruise.

1 hour ago, susancruzs said:

Princess has announced July 1st now instead of May 11th and mentions the CDC in their announcement.  I would imagine other lines under Carnival will also follow suit.

Princess, while under the Carnival umbrella, is the most unique for the obvious reason as well as the market they supply.

Edited by jimbo5544

1 hour ago, waterbabyfish said:

There are ways to cut back on sick passengers. The first thing is to allow to cancel if they feel a flu or cold coming on with a full refund with a doctors note. There are plenty of people that live nearby that can jump on a cruise in a couple days notice. I don't think it would be difficult to take temps. either. No self serve buffets. On turn around day...a complete cleaning and sail the next day!

I believe this is already in place

Edited by jimbo5544

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I dont think they are going to try and sail until, the submit a mitigation plan that addresses the concerns.  If the CDC lifts the stay on day 10 or 100, then they (and they is meaning any cruise line) can cruise.

Understandable, just not sure cruise lines can get it together quickly to satisfy CDC. I'm guessing some recommendations are very, very stringent.

CDC at this point is like that old teacher that no matter how hard you tried, it just wasn't enough.

As always time will tell and we all know we have plenty of time right now,

6 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Understandable, just not sure cruise lines can get it together quickly to satisfy CDC. I'm guessing some recommendations are very, very stringent.

CDC at this point is like that old teacher that no matter how hard you tried, it just wasn't enough.

As always time will tell and we all know we have plenty of time right now,

I am sure that it will be much more then them just saying so.  I would hope the mitigation to be complex and complete, with as many options covered in detail.  Then they will have to weigh the risks and rewards on moving forward.   

Edited by jimbo5544

33 minutes ago, lbtnewcruiser said:

what recourse would I have if I just paid in full "non refundable" yesterday for Carnival sail date of 7/4/20 ????HELP<<<<<

Don't some have a 24 hour window to cancel/refund?   Maybe not....

I'd wait and see if Carnival cancels for you, then you get a refund or FCC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wardamnweagle said:

Agreed. I haven’t had a day off in weeks because I’m “essential” but my company has opted to allow people to “self quarantine” Without pay but with a promise to hold their positions indefinitely. So I have 2 employees doing that, out of 16, and I can’t hire someone to fill in because they would be temp and it’s kinda specialized knowledge. Everyone else has just had to do extra work, but we aren’t one of the companies that gave a bump in pay or anything. 

Yes, I could also self quarantine (I have the available sick leave, vacation time, and short term disability) but I’m also in charge of my team and won’t abandon them. 

If I’m essential enough to continue being exposed to it at work, I should be allowed to be exposed to it on a ship. 

Not sure it works that way.