CDC 100 Day No Sail Order

PhillyFan33579

On 4/11/2020 at 8:12 PM, bluesea321 said:

I don't disagree with your other comments but there have been far more than 4 ships affected by COVID.  Here is a list from the CDC only counting US ports, not others like the Diamond, Coral, or Ruby Princess which were international.

Cruise Ships Affected by COVID-19
These are cruise ships that had voyages with US ports, which are under US CDC jurisdiction. International voyages without US ports of call are not under CDC jurisdiction and not included.

Cruise Ships Affected by COVID-19
Ship name    Voyage Start Date    Voyage End Date
Carnival Imagination    5-Mar    8-Mar
Carnival Valor    29-Feb    5-Mar
Carnival Valor    5-Mar    9-Mar
Carnival Valor    9-Mar    14-Mar
Carnival Vista    15-Feb    22-Feb
Carnival Vista    29-Feb    7-Mar
Celebrity Infinity    5-Mar    9-Mar
Celebrity Eclipse*    2-Mar    30-Mar
Celebrity Reflection    13-Mar    17-Mar
Celebrity Summit    29-Feb    7-Mar
Crown Princess    6-Mar    16-Mar
Disney Wonder    28-Feb    2-Mar
Disney Wonder*    6-Mar    20-Mar
Grand Princess    11-Feb    21-Feb
Grand Princess*    21-Feb    7-Mar
MSC Meraviglia    1-Mar    8-Mar
Norwegian Bliss*    1-Mar    8-Mar
Norwegian Bliss    8-Mar    15-Mar
Norwegian Breakaway    29-Feb    7-Mar
Norwegian Breakaway*    7-Mar    14-Mar
Norwegian Pride of America*    29-Feb    7-Mar
Oceania Riviera*    26-Feb    11-Mar
RCCL Explorer of Seas    8-Mar    15-Mar
RCCL Liberty of the Seas*    15-Mar    29-Mar
RCCL Majesty of the Seas*    29-Feb    7-Mar
RCCL Oasis of the Seas*    8-Mar    15-Mar
RCCL Symphony of the Seas*    7-Mar    14-Mar

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-ship/what-cdc-is-doing.html

I assume there is no way of knowing how many airplanes had passengers with the coronavirus aboard. They are the ones that brought this into the USA. The NY metropolitan region with 3 international airports is now the epicenter of the virus. It seems to have started in the USA on the west coast, probably from Chinese coming on planes before China allowed the information out about the virus. The state of Washington, with an international airport in Seattle, seemed to be the first state with a significant population with the virus. San Francisco, also with an international airport, was one of the first cities locked down.

But, I guess this does not make good news footage like showing a cruise ship and telling the plight of their passengers. 

• Like 3

On 4/11/2020 at 9:29 PM, Elaine5715 said:

There is growing evidence that the virus was on the west coast in January thus cruisers passing thru would have been exposed.  

You are saying the virus moved from west coast to east coast due to cruising....are you?

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I assume there is no way of knowing how many airplanes had passengers with the coronavirus aboard. They are the ones that brought this into the USA. The NY metropolitan region with 3 international airports is now the epicenter of the virus. It seems to have started in the USA on the west coast, probably from Chinese coming on planes before China allowed the information out about the virus. The state of Washington, with an international airport in Seattle, seemed to be the first state with a significant population with the virus. San Francisco, also with an international airport, was one of the first cities locked down.

But, I guess this does not make good news footage like showing a cruise ship and telling the plight of their passengers. 

Cruising has become the evil ugly stepchild of the cdc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

I read that it was brought to the west coast by international travel from China and brought to the east coast, New York, by international travel from Europe.  That makes sense.

But if you just follow the CDC, those must have been flying cruise ships!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Carnival Air Lines made a return?

No, I think it was their two subsidiaries, Princess Airlines and Holland America Airlines. Princess and Holland America are getting the bulk of the bad publicity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

What are you saying?  

I am saying it did not come from that.   Air travel from many places into New York area, mostly deferredflyers that came other routes once we closed China and then from Europe.  

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

No, I think it was their two subsidiaries, Princess Airlines and Holland America Airlines. Princess and Holland America are getting the bulk of the bad publicity.

It is close to unbelievable, more like a bod horror story but true.  I am not sure the Princess name will survive, hope I am wrong.   

11 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

What are you saying?  

The three European and Middle East hot spots have enormous financial ties tot he Wuhan district and their were literally hundreds of flights while China withheld information. 

• 2 weeks later...

The main intent of the 100 day CDC order on page 1 is basically just 2 points. One to prevent further sick on board ships from entering into the US (citizens or not); and second, preserving the critical resources of Federal, State and local governments and hospitals. The US just wants the CLIA to pick up the responsibility for the care and treatment outside the US and to pick up the bill. How they do it is for the cruise industry to figure out and present it to the CDC for approval. This order will probably become a rule for years to come.

Edited by rattanchair
  • Like 2

Reading the No-Sail-Order it appears ,IMHO, that cruises could begin sooner than 100 days if the CLIA comes up with a plan that relieves the US of any covid passengers from re-entering the US and they take responsibility for their care, treatment and repatriation.

On 4/9/2020 at 8:42 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

The CDC no sail order for 100 days should help people on this board understand there are not going to be any cruises any time soon. Lots of people on this board have criticized people like me for being negative for stating the obvious that no cruise line is going to resume operations in the near future. There is a big difference between being negative and accepting the reality of the world we are currently living in and the COVID virus impacting everyone. 

It is amazing the number of people on the boards with a head in the sand mentality.  I love cruising, but I don't understand why the suspension of disbelief from so many on these forums.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skridge said:

It is amazing the number of people on the boards with a head in the sand mentality.  I love cruising, but I don't understand why the suspension of disbelief from so many on these forums.

Fresh data that might temper some of the "optimism" - at least for those interested in reality.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241914096.html

The only people to really be concerned about here are the easily influenced, relatively new cruise fans. It would be shameful if in a few months they've joined the legion of anxious, dissatisfied customers wondering why their trip was canceled ... and why getting a prompt refund turns out to be next to impossible.

The people I'm thinking of are the ones who got enough of a taste of cruise ship life to want more - and now are almost desperate to turn back the clock to January. They may be looking to these forums for guidance; the answer they want doesn't line up with what they read and see in the mainstream media  or with what's actually happening around them. Should they indulge their hopes and book, or should they swallow hard and accept the difficult truth?

Sooo ...  it would be sad to think of them coming here, reading a string of "optimistic" posts & then letting themselves believe the fantasy.  Especially if they send in money for a cruise that simply isn't going to sail.

"Sounds like nothing's wrong, honey. We can probably be celebrating at a sailaway by August! Let's book now." 

July comes, that family gets the inevitable "Sorry, your trip is canceled" notice ... and all their happy anticipation collapses.
    Now, disappointed, they join the rear of the long line of people trying to get their money back. And just maybe, they realize the industry has played them. 
    (If the financial collapse has rocked their own family by then, that outcome is even more grim.)

This is why unfounded optimism usually proves to be a destructive, negative force. 

If the outlook for cruising in the foreseeable future looked bright, the realists here would say so. I believe if conditions magically do a 180 next month, the realists here will change our forecast. However, a dispassionate look at the facts makes completely clear one thing: cruising will not happen any time in the near future. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

CLIA has submitted two proposals that didn't satisfy the CDC.  Did they ever submit a third proposal after the April 9/April 15 order was published?

Since the date is still 2 months away, what’s the rush?

Here is my hope. Cruise lines stepped up to the plate after the Achille Lauro terrorist attack and put in place protocols that to this day have worked. Today the cruise lines have another 'terrorist', Covid and all its cousins to come. They can stick their heads in the sand and hope it goes away for now or they can be proactive and instead of building 2 or 3 more ships put the money into protocols that make cruising the safest, most sterile mode of travel. One in which people book 100 day cruises to 'no-where' to avoid a future pandemic, knowing that cruise ships have become a 'safe' haven.

• Like 3