Now for something completely different

9 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

After 17 years, I have retired from my second career. Not sure if I have another career in me, so leisure time is full time from now on for least a while anyway.

Good on you mate, though you do seem a bit young for the pasture.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

After 17 years, I have retired from my second career. Not sure if I have another career in me, so leisure time is full time from now on for least a while anyway.

Congratulations!  I am filled with envy.  I can't wait to retire, just the $ stopping me.

3 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

He's a beautiful dog.

Thank you, we sure think so, he was actually pick of litter from a very successful breeder we were lucky to get him, he is also an absolute pleasure to live with and train, he really should be being shown but I’m just not up to it now, so he stays home and does what he is best at, being my mate.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Thank you, we sure think so, he was actually pick of litter from a very successful breeder we were lucky to get him, he is also an absolute pleasure to live with and train, he really should be being shown but I’m just not up to it now, so he stays home and does what he is best at, being my mate.

Have you shown dogs in the past?  We have a lovely pointer but I am too time poor to show her.  I am happy just to exercise her.

32 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Have you shown dogs in the past?  We have a lovely pointer but I am too time poor to show her.  I am happy just to exercise her.

We bred and show for about 30 years, mainly Dalmatians, stewarded pretty regular, judged  couple of times when a judge didn’t show up and qualified judge would go over their limits, so I’d jump in on classes that didn’t need your ticket.

5 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

We bred and show for about 30 years, mainly Dalmatians, stewarded pretty regular, judged  couple of times when a judge didn’t show up and qualified judge would go over their limits, so I’d jump in on classes that didn’t need your ticket.

That's very impressive.  Is this your first Scottie?  At the risk of bombarding you with puppy pics here's one of mine.

Ruby- point.JPG

Your pointer looks lovely. My daughter has always loved pointers, friends bred them, such a gentle breed.

I won’t tell Maxy you called him a Scottie, he is easily offended, he is a Mini Schnauzer.

Between Mrs G and I we have had

Corgi

Collie

Border Collie

Dalmatians, no idea how many

Doberman

Kelpie

Then as health declined decided we needed a smaller dog so

Chinese Crested (not just smaller but very fine boned and you were forever worried you would hurt him)

And finally Max, Our first, but I doubt last, Schnauzer, was just after a pet and when our breeder started putting photos of the litter on the Bookoffaces, I fell in love with one but thought he was too good to end up in a pet home, as they grew I became more and more attracted to him, videos showed a special spirit. One day she suggested we come and pick out pup (we had known her over 35 years) when we walked in she picked up the one with the purple collar, yep the same one I was in love with..

”This boy is pick of litter”

my heart fell as I knew I had said we wouldn’t be showing

”He has been sold to people in Melbourne for over a year”

Heart drops further

”But due to a medical emergency they have had to cancel”

”I think you should have him”

The girls say there was a tear in my eye, and yep best thing ever happened to me. When I have these stupid mini strokes I recover much better and quicker if everything remains calm rather than getting agitated and excited and panicked, Max just lays gently beside me, touching me with one paw, sniffing away any tears and things go so much smoother.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Your pointer looks lovely. My daughter has always loved pointers, friends bred them, such a gentle breed.

I won’t tell Maxy you called him a Scottie, he is easily offended, he is a Mini Schnauzer.

Between Mrs G and I we have had

Corgi

Collie

Border Collie

Dalmatians, no idea how many

Doberman

Kelpie

Then as health declined decided we needed a smaller dog so

Chinese Crested (not just smaller but very fine boned and you were forever worried you would hurt him)

And finally Max, Our first, but I doubt last, Schnauzer, was just after a pet and when our breeder started putting photos of the litter on the Bookoffaces, I fell in love with one but thought he was too good to end up in a pet home, as they grew I became more and more attracted to him, videos showed a special spirit. One day she suggested we come and pick out pup (we had known her over 35 years) when we walked in she picked up the one with the purple collar, yep the same one I was in love with..

”This boy is pick of litter”

my heart fell as I knew I had said we wouldn’t be showing

”He has been sold to people in Melbourne for over a year”

Heart drops further

”But due to a medical emergency they have had to cancel”

”I think you should have him”

The girls say there was a tear in my eye, and yep best thing ever happened to me. When I have these stupid mini strokes I recover much better and quicker if everything remains calm rather than getting agitated and excited and panicked, Max just lays gently beside me, touching me with one paw, sniffing away any tears and things go so much smoother.

Just now, onlyslightlymad said:

God dammit, the stupid thing lost all my text!  I hope I'm not saying this twice.  

So sorry to call your beautiful boy a Scottie.  Plainly, not a dog expert.

We have had GSPs and Sharpeis but this is our first Pointer.  A wonderful dog but very demanding as a puppy.  She needs a lot of exercise and fun.  She has huge separation anxiety when young and destroyed our spa pool lid and cedar door amongst other less valuable items.  I's like to get another from the same breeder but a grown dog.  The re-home them sometimes.  My husband thinks I'm nuts and is yet to be convinced.  So frightening to have mini-strokes.  I had melanoma a few years ago and the scariest part was when it went to my brain and I had a seizure.  Anything (or anyone) that helps to reduce that anxiety is a true gift.

It is an excellent whale watching platform, we saw 3 Orcas and a humpback on our 4 hour tour. I took hundreds of photos on my new Panasonic Lumix FZ300. I love the camera but have a bit of a curve because it replaces an FZ18 I have had for years. This new one has many bells and whistles that I am discovering...not always in a good way😟

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Happy anniversary!  Where did you go?

It was a staycation, we live in one of the most beautiful places on earth (yes we are biased).

We booked a very nice hotel on our inner harbour. Think of it as our "pre-cruise" accommodation.

We arrived for the cruise by "tender" and here is a picture of the tender by our dock

P1020046.thumb.JPG.2d6f6eada0d4d7e8c389f0fb4e18fb13.JPG

This view is from our room

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It was a staycation, we live in one of the most beautiful places on earth (yes we are biased).

We booked a very nice hotel on our inner harbour. Think of it as our "pre-cruise" accommodation.

We arrived for the cruise by "tender" and here is a picture of the tender by our dock

P1020046.thumb.JPG.2d6f6eada0d4d7e8c389f0fb4e18fb13.JPG

This view is from our room

Colour me green.

It was a great couple of days. We left home in the morning and had breakfast at one of our in town spots called the James Bay Inn. Always a good meal.

When we booked the hotel we told them it was our anniversary and our original plan was ruined by another venue across the harbour refused to reserve a harbour view table for us at 1830 hrs. A restaurant can't have a view table for a special dinner on a Wednesday in a tourist town with no tourists? We cancelled that place and shifted across the harbour. The Delta Ocean Point went out of their way. The room was ready for us at 1000 hrs. And we parked the car. There was a nice card and some lovely chocolates. We took the harbour ferry across to the dock where the "Eclipse" starts her tours. Lunch at Milestones on the lower causeway, and it was time to embark in search of whales.

P1020051.thumb.JPG.e8baf2d957cce64aea63c5f31b82cfe8.JPG

Captain Rob maneuvering "Eclipse" from the bridge wing.

• Like 2

After another speedy run this time into American waters we watched a Humpback Whale for some time. Unfortunately we were at a bad angle to the sea and it got pretty rocky. I'm afraid Lynn found it quite unpleasant. It was nice to see the Humpback, it was quite close from time to time.

P1020332.thumb.JPG.d48a609f870056f2550be4d089184926.JPG

• Like 3