Now for something completely different

This photo gives a good idea of the power of the SX70. It was taken on the Murray River cruise, the night we went wombat spotting. The wombat was quite a distance away from the road, and I was sitting by the window on the opposite side of the bus. So the photo was shot from right across the bus as well.

20210222214834_IMG_9769.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was great but I found not having a viewfinder was frustrating in bright light as I couldn't see the screen properly. 

That is a very good point....I have an older DSLR and a canon point and press... which is good for movies and snaps and has no view finder..

So being old school like to frame the photo. without the need for post processing... I fear too many bells and whistles .... but that it same with everything now   more is better.... I will stick 2010 DSLR  for the mean time

Don

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

This photo gives a good idea of the power of the SX70. It was taken on the Murray River cruise, the night we went wombat spotting. The wombat was quite a distance away from the road, and I was sitting by the window on the opposite side of the bus. So the photo was shot from right across the bus as well.

20210222214834_IMG_9769.JPG

That is a great pic. I have a Sony Rx 4, the photos are great and I love the control you have on the feature but it is a little delicate for my liking. A little drop and it freaks out😂

3 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

That is a great pic. I have a Sony Rx 4, the photos are great and I love the control you have on the feature but it is a little delicate for my liking. A little drop and it freaks out😂

It was a very lucky shot. The camera did all the work, thank goodness, as I had very little time to take the shot. It was just point, zoom, and snap off a couple of shots, and luckily one of them came out OK. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

That is a very good point....I have an older DSLR and a canon point and press... which is good for movies and snaps and has no view finder..

So being old school like to frame the photo. without the need for post processing... I fear too many bells and whistles .... but that it same with everything now   more is better.... I will stick 2010 DSLR  for the mean time

Don

Yeah I agree now days most of my shooting is with my 5DII about 2010, though the RP is getting a lot of use due to being lighter to handle, though I also have a couple of pd&S and bridge cameras, one thing they each have in common is that they have a viewfinder. Carry a SX600 (think that’s the number) with me pretty much everywhere cause it slips in the pocket and has a pretty good zoom.

Some years ago, autofocus was just new, we were going away and my daughter asked could she borrow my EOS (5 I think at that time) auto focus, auto exposure, 28-135 zoom and I took my old Canon Pellix (mid 60s) manual focus manual exposure focus, 50mm 1.8 lens, really enjoyed back to basics photography.

I have a Sony Alpha 35 DSLR which I rarely use nowadays. I use my Motorola G4 which suits my needs.

The Sony does take great shots and has a lot of built in special effects and excellent video but I prefer to travel light.

Here's a shot from the Sony.

DSC05450.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

Yeah I agree now days most of my shooting is with my 5DII about 2010, though the RP is getting a lot of use due to being lighter to handle, though I also have a couple of pd&S and bridge cameras, one thing they each have in common is that they have a viewfinder. Carry a SX600 (think that’s the number) with me pretty much everywhere cause it slips in the pocket and has a pretty good zoom.

Some years ago, autofocus was just new, we were going away and my daughter asked could she borrow my EOS (5 I think at that time) auto focus, auto exposure, 28-135 zoom and I took my old Canon Pellix (mid 60s) manual focus manual exposure focus, 50mm 1.8 lens, really enjoyed back to basics photography.

Agree....   something which slips into pocket is great....

before the DSLR  had OM-1 all manual with  24, 50 & 200mm lens which i got in the mid 70''s and used up till 2010.... but do enjoy the digital world...  

Don 

My 35mm gear was or is (I still have it but don't use it) a Contax 159 MM body with the standard Zeiss 50mm lens and the other lenses are a Tamron 28-80 wide angle zoom and a Tamron 60-300 telephoto zoom.

My new Lumix has a 24X zoom which is the equivalent of a 25-600 lens for 35mm and it is f2.8 throughout the zoom range. Like I said earlier, I have lots of bells and whistles to discover on this thing.

57 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

My 35mm gear was or is (I still have it but don't use it) a Contax 159 MM body with the standard Zeiss 50mm lens and the other lenses are a Tamron 28-80 wide angle zoom and a Tamron 60-300 telephoto zoom.

My new Lumix has a 24X zoom which is the equivalent of a 25-600 lens for 35mm and it is f2.8 throughout the zoom range. Like I said earlier, I have lots of bells and whistles to discover on this thing.

That Contax Zeiss was a nice combination. Over the years I have shot with just about every brand ever invented, as some places I worked got wanted you to use their gear, it would all be calibrated to make exposures match and d&p smoother.

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Agree....   something which slips into pocket is great....

before the DSLR  had OM-1 all manual with  24, 50 & 200mm lens which i got in the mid 70''s and used up till 2010.... but do enjoy the digital world...  

Don 

I must admit I resisted autofocus for years till my eyes really started to fail a bit, but adopted digital pretty quick, though I think it has made me, and many others a tad lazy as you can shoot to your hearts content and just format the card, as opposed to being careful about cost of film and d&p

• Like 2

6 hours ago, possum52 said:

Rose, just saw your post on his FB page. I wonder if he will reply to it. 

He’s gone very quiet - I am either right (and I am very very right!! - actually have proof from the Ruby itinerary) and he has disappeared or am about to be harassed.
But then I will block him. 🤔

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

He’s gone very quiet - I am either right (and I am very very right!! - actually have proof from the Ruby itinerary) and he has disappeared or am about to be harassed.
But then I will block him. 🤔

Why would he wait until 24 July 2021 to make these statements.  He is way out with his dates and port re the Spa Manager boarding. If he is who I think he is, he will be monitoring CC. He could even be on here with another alias, given his previous charades, Sutho/Karateman/Brisbane41/DiamondFour and god knows who else !!

Edited by NSWP

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Why would he wait until 24 July 2021 to make these statements.  He is way out with his dates and port re the Spa Manager boarding. If he is who I think he is, he will be monitoring CC. He could even be on here with another alias, given his previous charades, Sutho/Karateman/Brisbane41 and god knows who else !!

I absolutely don't agree with his theory - whoever he is. However, I think his dates are correct. From what I read, the Spa Manager boarded in Dunedin on 4th March. Someone posted a comment that the ship was in Dunedin on 28th Feb, but an item on the internet showing the itinerary of the ship shows it went 'clockwise'. It was in Dunedin on 4th March.

He says that the A.2 variant was not present in Australia, USA or UK prior to that cruise. I don't know if that is correct, but most cruises from Aust to NZ have some passengers from Europe. When the Spa Manager tested negative for COVID on 8th March, it seem to be that the source is someone else and it could be someone who came from Europe to board the ship.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I absolutely don't agree with his theory - whoever he is. However, I think his dates are correct. From what I read, the Spa Manager boarded in Dunedin on 4th March. Someone posted a comment that the ship was in Dunedin on 28th Feb, but an item on the internet showing the itinerary of the ship shows it went 'clockwise'. It was in Dunedin on 4th March.

He says that the A.2 variant was not present in Australia, USA or UK prior to that cruise. I don't know if that is correct, but most cruises from Aust to NZ have some passengers from Europe. When the Spa Manager tested negative for COVID on 8th March, it seem to be that the source is someone else and it could be someone who came from Europe to board the ship.

This alleged document posted shows the Spa Manager was on board 1 March..condition Afebrile which means not feverish.

214900060_5878095992232171_358260894855536238_n.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

OK. I have a wild theory..is this Antony Johns..our Brisbane41/Karateman/Sutho? He was ex navy so he said and was very much into the government re Ruby Princess.  There is a photo on the face ache page, about his age and mentions R.A.N.  I actually met him on Golden Princess in 2014 - around South America. Face looks familiar. I could be totally wrong.

What say ye? 

I didn't immediately think of the man of many faces, but I must say I straight away thought that it may be someone from here on the Aus/NZ board when I read Brandee's posts.

Anyway, it sure took them a long time to find their 'evidence' whoever they may be

7 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Rose was on that cruise and stated it was in Dunedin on the 28th Feb.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

This alleged document posted shows the Spa Manager was on board 1 March..condition Afebrile which means not feverish.

Good pick up Les. WhenI was looking at the documents last night, I was tired and had a bad headache, so didn't see that.

14 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

This from the Special Commission report which I posted last night  page 96 - 

On 5 March 2020, Dr Ilse von Watzdorf (the Ruby Princess's Senior Doctor) sent an
email to a Sydney port agent for Carnival Australia (Carnival) advising that the ship
had taken on a crew member in Dunedin on 4 March 2020
who had recently spent
two weeks on holiday in Genoa, Italy. 3
 Dr von Watzdorf noted that the crew member
had been placed in isolation at the request of public health officials in Dunedin
and asked if there was anything further required by NSW Health. The email was
forwarded to the cruise ship surveillance team in the South Eastern Sydney Public
Health Unit (SES PHU) a short time later that day.

Edited by possum52

54 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Was the itinerary changed at the last minute? The cruise brochure I have and also a site on the internet, has the 24th Feb NZ cruise starting at Bay of Island and calling into Dunedin on 4th March.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Good pick up Les. WhenI was looking at the documents last night, I was tired and had a bad headache, so didn't see that.

Thanks, I was a trainee detective for a year, back in 1975 but left that branch, I could not drink enough, lol.🍺

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1