Now for something completely different

On 8/8/2021 at 11:40 AM, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks for the video Lyndon. I have to admit I didn't watch the whole thing, it started to get painful. I'm happy that this person is apparently able to make a living building guitars. I'm afraid his trade craft makes me cringe, so high school woodworker.

Finished my guitar makeover last week. It now plays beautifully with it's new electronics, pick ups, fingerboard overhaul etc. 

• Like 1

So we reached our first stop on the road trip. It was a lovely sunrise and I wanted to stop to take photos, Lynn wasn't interested so no picture. Of course not stopping made that we were the 2nd to last car on the earlier ferry than we had reserved. That out us ahead of schedule by a whole hour. The ferry ride was uneventful, normally there is an excellent buffet with deck to deckhead ceilings but alas it was closed (friggin covid). So we had breakfast in the cafeteria, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, breakfast potatoes and toast for me. Lynn had a bagel wit cream cheese and some fresh fruit.

We had been concerned about the highway because of the recent wildfires but it was a lovely sunny day and excellent visibility. The signs of the fire were apparent with many hectares of scorched trees some very close to the road. There was only smoke in one short section, we could see it from the road. We were not allowed to stop so no good pictures there either. Our nephew lives here in Kamloops and with our earlier than expected arrival we met him and his boys for lunch. We are meeting later with him and his wife for drinks and appies. So far a great trip and our little Subaru is doing fine even with the steep hills.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Very tidy work Lyndon. I must admit I haven't heard of that particular make of guitar.

It's an Ashton copy of a Fender (or Squier) Stratocaster. An Australian brand (more well known for acoustic guitars) and was made in China. Buddy Holly played a Strat as did Hank Marvin of Shadows (Apache) fame.

I bought it cheap off ebay, $74, and it had been done up a little by the seller who recycles unloved guitars. It was originally painted gold but the seller repainted it in a blue hammered finish which I kinda like. An ok job which, cosmetically, is passable. I was more interested in getting a better sound from it for less than I would pay for a more expensive brand name instrument. The body didn't matter too much but it had a good neck with rosewood fingerboard. It's cost me about $500 in new hardware and I'm happy with the result.

Edited by lyndarra

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So we reached our first stop on the road trip. It was a lovely sunrise and I wanted to stop to take photos, Lynn wasn't interested so no picture. Of course not stopping made that we were the 2nd to last car on the earlier ferry than we had reserved. That out us ahead of schedule by a whole hour. The ferry ride was uneventful, normally there is an excellent buffet with deck to deckhead ceilings but alas it was closed (friggin covid). So we had breakfast in the cafeteria, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, breakfast potatoes and toast for me. Lynn had a bagel wit cream cheese and some fresh fruit.

We had been concerned about the highway because of the recent wildfires but it was a lovely sunny day and excellent visibility. The signs of the fire were apparent with many hectares of scorched trees some very close to the road. There was only smoke in one short section, we could see it from the road. We were not allowed to stop so no good pictures there either. Our nephew lives here in Kamloops and with our earlier than expected arrival we met him and his boys for lunch. We are meeting later with him and his wife for drinks and appies. So far a great trip and our little Subaru is doing fine even with the steep hills.

Enjoy the rest of the trip Lyle, but gee if MrsG said I couldn’t stop for a photo, there’d soon be no more MrsG or at least a new one, (nope stick with none, can’t imagine starting all over again).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

It's an Ashton copy of a Fender (or Squier) Stratocaster. An Australian brand (more well known for acoustic guitars) and was made in China. Buddy Holly played a Strat as did Hank Marvin of Shadows (Apache) fame.

I bought it cheap off ebay, $74, and it had been done up a little by the seller who recycles unloved guitars. It was originally painted gold but the seller repainted it in a blue hammered finish which I kinda like. An ok job which, cosmetically, is passable. I was more interested in getting a better sound from it for less than I would pay for a more expensive brand name instrument. The body didn't matter too much but it had a good neck with rosewood fingerboard. It's cost me about $500 in new hardware and I'm happy with the result.

Mt mate has a couple of Strats. But actually prefers his Ashton which has been fitted out with totally new electronics (I think he used a mix of Fender and Gibson stuff) says the wood in the Ashton gives a much better tone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Mt mate has a couple of Strats. But actually prefers his Ashton which has been fitted out with totally new electronics (I think he used a mix of Fender and Gibson stuff) says the wood in the Ashton gives a much better tone.

I can just see you playing the guitar Gut….not so much a Fender…more like an Offender. 🤔🤔😷😷😁😁

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

I can just see you playing the guitar Gut….not so much a Fender…more like an Offender. 🤔🤔😷😷😁😁

Gut can play the meat and potato pie melody...

202662357_124209626538740_6938942040560789345_n.jpg.19e594e2fee4bead4d62524c4df77199.jpg

Edited by NSWP

Just now, GUT2407 said:

No uncle Les Gur don’t play pies he inhales them

That lot would satisfy you then mate, Batemans Bay spud pies, food of champions and approved by Light and Easy, Weight Watchers and all those other rip off diet food companies.😆

Well we have made it through the second leg of this trip. It was a long day and we were concerned about gas at one point. It was almost 800 kms, we encountered a whole bunch of caravans leading long parades behind as we waited for an overtaking lane. There was one in particular that held up 8 cars for 50 kms. The car immediately behind it wouldn't pass it and there was no way to get past both of them.

• Like 3