Am I crazy to have booked an Interior Room!?

skatie

So I'm choosing to remain optimistic that our Feb 2021 Apex cruise (our first with any Celebrity ship) will still take place, but when I booked the cruise, it was well before the pandemic and we just booked an interior room (with the four perks and NRD) so we could save some money to put towards more cruises!  We don't spend a lot of time in our rooms, so were happy with our choice.  Now with the rash of ships that had quarantine in room situations, I'm rethinking my wisdom - i would go stir crazy if i couldn't leave my room and have no daylight for days on end!    I was thinking that maybe there was hope to bid on the Move up to a balcony, but I did book through a Big Box store and believe that I can't bid on the Move up program - is this correct?   I sure hope that by the time we sail that we are back to "normal" health times, but I know no guarantees.  Would you bite the bullet and pay extra $1000 now for a veranda - can I upgrade now without losing my Non Refundable Deposit?  Or should i wait to see if veranda  prices drop once cruising starts back up?  I know I'm asking for opinions and crystal ball gazing for the future, but any opinions welcomed! 

24 minutes ago, skatie said:

So I'm choosing to remain optimistic that our Feb 2021 Apex cruise (our first with any Celebrity ship) will still take place, but when I booked the cruise, it was well before the pandemic and we just booked an interior room (with the four perks and NRD) so we could save some money to put towards more cruises!  We don't spend a lot of time in our rooms, so were happy with our choice.  Now with the rash of ships that had quarantine in room situations, I'm rethinking my wisdom - i would go stir crazy if i couldn't leave my room and have no daylight for days on end!    I was thinking that maybe there was hope to bid on the Move up to a balcony, but I did book through a Big Box store and believe that I can't bid on the Move up program - is this correct?   I sure hope that by the time we sail that we are back to "normal" health times, but I know no guarantees.  Would you bite the bullet and pay extra $1000 now for a veranda - can I upgrade now without losing my Non Refundable Deposit?  Or should i wait to see if veranda  prices drop once cruising starts back up?  I know I'm asking for opinions and crystal ball gazing for the future, but any opinions welcomed! 

We have an inside booked for our cruise in Feb, again booked before the situation changed. Personally we are not changing and will just wait it out for now.

I understand your feeling in fact we have booked an interior room on a couple past cruises for the same reason. We tried it just to see if I could handle it because I’m claustrophobic. I had no real issues except I knew I could always go up by the pool if it bothered me. But if I was stuck in a Interior room for days on end I’d go crazy. So we have given the interior room cost saving idea some thought and have decided never ever would we book an interior room. You never know when this or Noro would break out on a ship and you are quarantined.

I agree with wrk2cruise fairs will have to come down to get people to sail again.

I would Move to a Oceanview cabin. Which should cost less than a veranda and provide you with a nice view.  On the Edge & Apex the veranda cabins with a few exceptions do not have a  traditional veranda.  The veranda is interior space with a window wall.  The top part of the window  can be lowered. 

Keep the cabin. If there is even the remotest chance of catching COVID-19 and being confined to an inside cabin, what the heck are you doing even boarding? If it's under control, cabin choice isn't a problem. If it isn't under control, cancel.

• Like 3

You are correct in that the big box store does not participate in the Move Up program. However, you can monitor prices and if/when prices for Oceanview or Veranda cabins drop to a place where you are comfortable, you can make a change. We’ve been able to do that with the big box.

Just be aware of the perks being offered at that time. You currently have four perks which isn’t always the offer.

Edited by scrapcreator

Time is on your side. Wait for the deals to upgrade. There will be opportunities to move to an oceanview or balcony besides just MoveUp. 

When the industry does get back up and running, it will be a buyer’s market.

Patience is a virtue. 

Edited by BEAV

I have some inside cabins booked for 2021. Everyone tells me not to do insides anymore because of what happened to the quarantined pax on Princess. 

But, if I get a balcony, there is no guarantee that the weather will be perfect for sitting there. It can be too hot, too cold, too windy, too sunny, too rainy. 

And we are talking about a difference of thousands of dollars.

We will not cruise until we know that it is safe to do so.

2 minutes ago, babylene said:

We will not cruise until we know that it is safe to do so.

So, there it is in a nutshell for you.  If you feel it’s safe to go, why bother worrying about whether you made the right decision choosing an inside cabin.

I’ve ended up sick on vacation twice in the last 10 years.  Both times I was thankful I was in a room I was comfortable to spend some time in.  When cruising that is my criteria.  Pick a room I’d be happy to spend the entire cruise in.  Just in case.

When my wife and I first started cruising we always went with inside cabins.  We saved a lot of $ and like you used that money saved to go on more cruises.  Even now we have out thresholds as to what price we’ll pay for interior vs oceanview vs verandah.  For $1k more we wouldn’t even consider moving to a verandah.

At this point I’d stick with what you have unless an oceanview is only a couple hundred more.   If ships are sailing next year I’d hope the risk of being quarantined in your cabin is extremely low.

6 hours ago, skatie said:

I know I'm asking for opinions and crystal ball gazing for the future, but any opinions welcomed! 

Everybody has their own preferences depending on their budget and comfort expectations regarding stateroom type .

With the current Canadian dollar exchange rate , I would wait and continuously watch for any price reductions before making final payment.