what are the chances on a june ncl cruise ?

seaman11

No one knows for sure so its all speculation.  IMHO, cruising will be the last thing to "reopen." If states have success in opening businesses again without further outbreaks then its a good sign for cruising.  If we get a second wave or another smaller outbreak (which has happened in other countries) then I don't think cruising will begin until well after the summer.  If a miracle happens and the pandemic in the United States crashes down then maybe cruising will begin earlier than many expect. IMHO I don't think June or July would be safe for cruises even in the best scenarios.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, david_sobe said:

No one knows for sure so its all speculation.  IMHO, cruising will be the last thing to "reopen." If states have success in opening businesses again without further outbreaks then its a good sign for cruising.  If we get a second wave or another smaller outbreak (which has happened in other countries) then I don't think cruising will begin until well after the summer.  If a miracle happens and the pandemic in the United States crashes down then maybe cruising will begin earlier than many expect. IMHO I don't think June or July would be safe for cruises even in the best scenarios.

thank you for a mature response, many have been harsh here at my optimism.    i booked an aug one with carnival as a backup. 

I would definitely say even later than that.

New 100 day suspension brings the date to July 19th before cruise ships may be allowed to embark/disembark guests. in the U.S.

6 weeks to get ships provisioned wth staff, food and ready to sail.

That brings us to the end of August at the very earliest.

Other things to consider are airline schedules

Trip insurance?

2 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

thank you for a mature response, many have been harsh here at my optimism.    i booked an aug one with carnival as a backup. 

Sooner or later you are going to get onboard.  And you better do a LIVE report here in CC too!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pixiedust777 said:

New 100 day suspension brings the date to July 19th before cruise ships may be allowed to embark/disembark guests. in the U.S.

Trip insurance?

well it was determined that it wasnt really a 100 day ban on cruises, but 100 days of extending the guildlines.  if they resend the mandate or the cruisline meets the conditions they can sail. 

Edited by seaman11
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, seaman11 said:

well it was determined that it wasnt really a 100 day ban on cruises, but 100 days of extending the guildlines.  if they resend the mandate or the cruislien meets the conditions they can sail. 

I am hoping so as I have an end of August Disney Cruise booked that was my Granddaughters Christmas present. However I feel that it may be on rocky ground with Carnival just announcing cancelling all of its North American cruises until the end of June with all cruises out of New York cancelled until the end of 2020.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Don't know how many the had going out I see Carnival has canceled all cruises leaving from NYC for the rest of the year

NY and alaska ports i figure is out of the picture for now.  im thinking simple short cruises out of florida or perhaps galveston.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

Soon will have to rebook , and thinking end of june but to be safe maybe middle of july.  what do you guys think? 

I say go for mid July!  What's the worst that can happen, you'll just have to rebook, that's all!

It would be fun to sail with you seaman11.😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

Soon will have to rebook , and thinking end of june but to be safe maybe middle of july.  what do you guys think? 

If not July then August or September.   Possible by Halloween.  Maybe Thanksgiving.  The real question would be what ports are going to let a ship disembark?  And what type of extra documentation (that the world will recognize) will a cruiser have to carry?  Sorry Seaman it's going to be awhile.✌️

• Like 1

Virginia's latest forecast model showing/suggesting that they won't reach their peak/apex until this summer / on or about July, 2020 for the first wave.  I don't see ports in the Mid-Atlantic region being open for cruise ships with passengers embarkation, disembarking and/or making a port stop (not that NCL are using them)

We keep our eyes on other regions, areas and the rest of the world on what's going on and not taking place.  Well, here's one - from Richmond, VA ... RIP, Bishop.  

https://www.wtvr.com/news/coronavirus/richmond-pastor-bishop-glenn-dead-covid-19-new-deliverance-evangelistic-church

Here in NY - the odds are slim to none, IMHO as much as I wanted to be optimistic and hopeful, reality is another story.  We had an ambulance run down the block from us mid-evenng:  a cardiac/respiratory distress call ... EMS/FDNY BLS crew has since left - Code 10-83R.  PD responded for paper work/admin - it's for the Last Responder to handle the rest.  Just like last night, sadly it's pretty routine - disaster protocol meant that ALS will seldom respond nor get called in.  Medics will attempt on scene triage ... and, most of the time - simply declare & call it, record the time & move on.  Just had another 10-83R at one of the area's nursing home - probably the night shift caregivers coming on duty & doing rounds.  EMS dispatcher getting busy - it was quiet earlier.  

We might've flatten the curves a bit for the first wave, but will likely stay at this high plateau for a while and the daily death tolls will continue to stay high.  Besides, for those that aren't from the NY area, would you be daring enough to come into NY if cruising is allowed & available and roll the dices ?  I think not.  

• Like 3

I'm not sure that anything in 2020 right now is "safe". It really comes down your risk tolerance. Will June sailings occur? Most likely not. Will July or august sailings occur? Maybe, who knows. If you are ok with choosing a sailing knowing that it may or may not occur or that there may be restrictions added that prevent you from being on it (say if they start rolling out these antibody test and only people with antibodies can cruise) then go for a 2020 sailing. But if you want to book a cruise that you can be relatively confident will sail, I would waiting until 2021 personally.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, seaman11 said:

its not your optimism people are harsh about. its your defiance in other threads that there is a possibility that it will be past June or July. You seem more amenable in this thread to the fact that it might not change in 40 or 60 days. No one minds people that are optimistic. but when they fight others that might not think exactly like them, people fight back.

I truly hope this passes as soon as possible and we all get to go on cruises again and things go back to normal (with better health safety measures in place). If cruises open responsibly and with the right precautions, I would be happy if they started in May but that's not currently in the cards

Optimism is great and you are a very optimistic person and you are not knocking anyone in this thread for other opinions. I hope you get to go on your next scheduled cruise.... We need things to reopen as soon as safely possible

good luck my friend

• Like 2

15 hours ago, seaman11 said:

We have a trip on Carnival scheduled for the end of August.  I think it's more likely than not it will be cancelled unfortunately.  We have one booked in June on NCL for my son's graduation present.  That won't be happening along with his senior trip, graduation, prom, etc......   We were hoping to add him to our August trip but I don't think it's happening.  

16 hours ago, seaman11 said:

The 100 day no sail order out of US ports is likely to be extended. I doubt that the cruise lines are not going to be willing to comply with the exceptions to the rule, so IMO the earliest that anythng is going to sail out of the US or Canada is around the 1st of September.

As far as totally foreign itineraries, I have no idea when those might go, it could be soon.

16 hours ago, pixiedust777 said:

Trip insurance?

The only thing that might take six weeks is crew availability. The rest is at most a week, once there is crew on board.

16 hours ago, seaman11 said:

well it was determined that it wasnt really a 100 day ban on cruises, but 100 days of extending the guildlines.  if they resend the mandate or the cruisline meets the conditions they can sail. 

Keep saying this and maybe someone else will agree with your reading, for all intents and purposes, even though there are exceptiosn in the US it is a 100 day ban at a minimum.

I am also worried about all of this.  As much as I LOVE to cruise, I want to cruise healthy and safely.  We had to cancel our family trip for this month and rebooked for next April.  We also have a November cruise planned with my Mother & Father in Law and my sister and brother in law.  At this point I don't know if that cruise will happen.  Then I wonder what medical documentation we will need.

These are all questions that will be answered in time and WE don't have control over it.  

Stay healthy, well, and safe everyone.

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

Keep saying this and maybe someone else will agree with your reading, for all intents and purposes, even though there are exceptiosn in the US it is a 100 day ban at a minimum.

it means exactly what i said it means, if you think it will last 100 days , you may be correct.  but it isnt a 100 day out right ban. 

1 hour ago, buckeyefrank said:

We have a trip on Carnival scheduled for the end of August.  I think it's more likely than not it will be cancelled unfortunately.  We have one booked in June on NCL for my son's graduation present.  That won't be happening along with his senior trip, graduation, prom, etc......   We were hoping to add him to our August trip but I don't think it's happening.  

i think we need to give it some time, before canceling aug trips,  the covis picture could be much different in 40-60 days. 

• Like 1

I have a cruise planned for August on the Breakaway. Final payment was due this weekend and it certainly was not an easy decision whether or not to make that payment or not. Ultimately, we decided to go ahead and make our payment. I want to believe that we'll be getting on the ship (my 3/15 on the Encore was cancelled so hopefully I wont be 0 for 2 this year), but part of me knows that there is a very high chance that it won't be happening. I want to cruise and do plan on cruising, I'm in great health in my 20's, and my parents are in good health as well. (And yes, I am very much aware what is going on in the world - I am an EMT and also work in a nursing home and have been working straight for the past 3 weeks without a day off).

Edited by peterwl694
  • Like 1