Over 70 Medical Forms

Empehi

OK, here are the questions.

1. You already have a non - refundable deposit (or final payment) paid, you are over 70 and you can not get a Medical Form from a doctor.

Do you loose your deposit? Do you get a future cruise credit that you may never be able to use? or do you get a full cash refund?

2. Will you need the form when you book the cruise? When you make final payment? or When your board the ship?

Health can change quickly for people over 70.

I can't answer your question, but if you are over 70 shouldn't you have a doctor you can consult?  I'm assuming the problem isn't because the doctor in question is on vacation and cannot be reached.

But just guessing ... if they refuse you boarding, then I assume you get everything back.  THEY have chosen not to let you sail.  YOU did not cancel.

Beyond that ... as I said, I'm guessing.

Mura

1 hour ago, Empehi said:

OK, here are the questions.

1. You already have a non - refundable deposit (or final payment) paid, you are over 70 and you can not get a Medical Form from a doctor.

Do you loose your deposit? Do you get a future cruise credit that you may never be able to use? or do you get a full cash refund?

2. Will you need the form when you book the cruise? When you make final payment? or When your board the ship?

Health can change quickly for people over 70.

I keep reading about this Medical Form but know little about it.

Do you have a copy of one?

Which cruise lines require it before boarding?

Is this a theoretical question or an actual problem you have encountered?

Edited by Paulchili

It is my understanding that the CDC will impose this requirement for all US based departing cruises when they begin sailing again. It may not be permanent. However, many of us are over 70 and have non-refundable deposit made before the Pandemic. Our doctors may or may not approve sailing. As a matter of fact, you may find doctors reluctant to sign a form like this.

11 minutes ago, Empehi said:

It is my understanding that the CDC will impose this requirement for all US based departing cruises when they begin sailing again.

Could you share a link regarding that please? Seems awfully soon to be making statements like that. TIA.

I think it  was a recommendation that those over 70 should not sail  during the virus situation

Well no one is sailing  so problem solved

Then there are those that  complain anyone over  70  should not sail 

If the CDC or anyone decides to make this  mandatory  any cruise line that survived  this pandemic   will still be in dire straits  if they ban those over 70  based solely on age

Even if you get a doctors note   how far in advance  is acceptable ?

The day before the cruise?  6 mths  before  ?

People that are fine  one day can be ill or worse  a few days later

Last year my BIL was fine...  a few days after returning from a family vacation   he got up from dinner  dropped to the floor  ...he was dead  within the hour 

Never had any heart issues    so how do you know  when disaster will strike

I would not worry about the  form until it becomes a fact

JMO

For a very short time...literally a few days, some cruise lines...I believe NCL and Royal Caribbean were among them,  were requiring a medical clearance form signed by a physician for those 70 and over. Then the roof caved in and all cruising was halted. When I read NCL's form I couldn't believe any physician in his right mind would sign in. 

Who knows what if anything will be required when cruising resumes, so it's useless to worry or speculate about it right now.

• Like 2

You mean people with medium to advance stages of dementia might not be able to sail? Oh, my!

People with advanced respiratory or heart ailments can’t get a doctor’s slip! Outrageous!

My TA will tell you about couples being banned from one line, for health issues, trying to get her to book them on another line! Ah, NO!

Americans love to sue. Any doctors signing those forms, with any doubt of patient ability, are putting their financial future at risk. 

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

You mean people with medium to advance stages of dementia might not be able to sail? Oh, my!

People with advanced respiratory or heart ailments can’t get a doctor’s slip! Outrageous!

Why should any of this bother you? These are not contagious diseases and they are not putting you at any risk whatsoever - only themselves.

Can they get COVID - of course, but so can you or 500+ sailors on USS TD who are presumably young and in good health.

Just give it a rest already - if you are lucky enough you too may live a long life with all that it brings. The alternative is not very good.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

For a very short time...literally a few days, some cruise lines...I believe NCL and Royal Caribbean were among them,  were requiring a medical clearance form signed by a physician for those 70 and over. Then the roof caved in and all cruising was halted. When I read NCL's form I couldn't believe any physician in his right mind would sign in. 

Who knows what if anything will be required when cruising resumes, so it's useless to worry or speculate about it right now.

Something for all to Chew over !!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/14/cruise-ships-coronavirus-passengers-future

23 minutes ago, roger b said:

Yes but let's face it - these are extraordinary times. The cruises have done very well for many, many years despite the occasional Noro, etc

This is a whole new era and does not apply to cruise ships only. Today, you are just as likely to get COVID on a plane or in Paris or Milan or your supermarket or most other places in the world. Does that also mean the end of ALL travels and shelter in place indefinitely? What is being said about cruise ships can also be said of nursing homes, assisted living facilities or schools (if they were open) or many work places.

Hopefully, some day soon there will be an effective vaccine and/or treatment and things will become close to normal again.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 3

I read recently that flight attendants have been one of the largest sources of spread of the virus. 

I also heard that WHO is to blame for the whole mess. Yeah, that's the ticket. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Paulchili said:

"... What is being said about cruise ships can also be said of nursing homes, assisted living facilities ..."

Far larger number of fatalities and rate of fatalities in these facilities than on cruise ships. And I'm not just referring to the older, frail patients ... nurses and caregivers at these facilities are being infected and dying also.

2 hours ago, ORV said:

"... I also heard that WHO is to blame for the whole mess."

I can see the SNL routine now ... their take-off on the old Abbott and Costello bit:

Costello: Who's responsible for this mess?

Abbott: Yeah, that's what I said - WHO's responsible for all of this.

Costello: Who?

Abbott: Right, you got it.

Costello: I got what? Who's responsible?

etc. etc. etc.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Not a joke needed here. Getting really tired of the people making fun of the situation.  People are dying, not cruising. Until there is a cure or vaccine, booking a cruise is not in my future.   I am over 70 and hope to survive. If there is a 70+ restriction on cruising, the cruiselines and travel agents should be upfront and inform potential clients that a doctor certification is needed before booking.  For people who are already booked, deposits should be returned in cash not fcc.  If I cannot cruise, fcc is worthless.  

5 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Not a joke needed here. Getting really tired of the people making fun of the situation.  People are dying, not cruising. Until there is a cure or vaccine, booking a cruise is not in my future.   I am over 70 and hope to survive. If there is a 70+ restriction on cruising, the cruiselines and travel agents should be upfront and inform potential clients that a doctor certification is needed before booking.  For people who are already booked, deposits should be returned in cash not fcc.  If I cannot cruise, fcc is worthless.  

We're in our 70s and just now I said to my husband that if we don't travel internationally again I don't have a particular problem with that. We've seen a lot of this world and of course there's always more. And North America has loads still to show us.

5 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I am over 70 and hope to survive. If there is a 70+ restriction on cruising, the cruiselines and travel agents should be upfront and inform potential clients that a doctor certification is needed before booking.  For people who are already booked, deposits should be returned in cash not fcc.  If I cannot cruise, fcc is worthless.  

I am not sure there are restrictions at  present  for 70+ cruisers   

if there is please post a link for  the mandatory  letter

21 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I am not sure there are restrictions at  present  for 70+ cruisers   

if there is please post a link for  the mandatory  letter

As I said much earlier in the thread some cruise lines had introduced medical clearance forms for those 70 and older just prior to the total shutdown of cruising. The poster you're replying to didn't say there's a form right now, they said "If there is a 70+ restriction on cruising"...the word "if" is the key. Given that some cruise lines were starting to require such clearance, It's not unreasonable to wonder if there will be some sort of similar requirement after cruising resumes.

26 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

As I said much earlier in the thread some cruise lines had introduced medical clearance forms for those 70 and older just prior to the total shutdown of cruising. The poster you're replying to didn't say there's a form right now, they said "If there is a 70+ restriction on cruising"...the word "if" is the key. Given that some cruise lines were starting to require such clearance, It's not unreasonable to wonder if there will be some sort of similar requirement after cruising resumes.

Of course   the requirement  was during the outbreak 

IF   there is  a requirement for only healthy 70+  people to cruise  ..good luck to  the cruise lines

What kind of medical clearance letter  was needed to cruise?

8 hours ago, clo said:

We're in our 70s and just now I said to my husband that if we don't travel internationally again I don't have a particular problem with that. We've seen a lot of this world and of course there's always more. And North America has loads still to show us.

I feel exactly like you.  We have been fortunate to travel internationally for years.  We are at a point in our lives 70+ where we have been revisiting the places that we really loved. 
I have traveled often in the US. It’s a big country with many fabulous places to visit.  We love big cities with lots of cultural attractions and the beautiful National parks and seashores.  There are still places that  we haven’t seen in the US that would be nice to visit.  For now, stay safe.

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Of course   the requirement  was during the outbreak 

IF   there is  a requirement for only healthy 70+  people to cruise  ..good luck to  the cruise lines

What kind of medical clearance letter  was needed to cruise?

I don't recall the exact content of the form, but I do recall that it could have been interpreted as requiring a doctor to certify a level of good health that they would be very wary of. I recall that a few people were told by their doctors that there was no way they would sign it.

The forms I saw were for Royal Caribbean and NCL, mass market lines that while having many 70+ passengers are not nearly as dependent on older passengers as Oceania. 

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

I feel exactly like you.  We have been fortunate to travel internationally for years.  We are at a point in our lives 70+ where we have been revisiting the places that we really loved. 
I have traveled often in the US. It’s a big country with many fabulous places to visit.  We love big cities with lots of cultural attractions and the beautiful National parks and seashores.  There are still places that  we haven’t seen in the US that would be nice to visit.  For now, stay safe.

There is one major flaw with this type of thinking.

Yes, we have a beautiful country with lots to see but what makes you certain that it is safer to travel here than abroad.

Currently we have the most cases of COVID in the world by far and some feel that the actual number may be as much as 10 times higher due to the fact that only ONE percent of our population has been tested.

In a reputable institution such as Columbia Presbyterian hospital they started routinely testing ALL women being admitted for delivery and 14% were COVID positive with ZERO symptoms. That's 1 in 8 and for NYC that might translate to 1 million COVID positive (possibly asymptomatic) people.

Edited by Paulchili

59 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

There is one major flaw with this type of thinking.

Yes, we have a beautiful country with lots to see but what makes you certain that it is safer to travel here than abroad.

Currently we have the most cases of COVID in the world by far and some feel that the actual number may be as much as 10 times higher due to the fact that only ONE percent of our population has been tested.

In a reputable institution such as Columbia Presbyterian hospital they started routinely testing ALL women being admitted for delivery and 14% were COVID positive with ZERO symptoms. That's 1 in 8 and for NYC that might translate to 1 million COVID positive (possibly asymptomatic) people.

obviously I am not traveling until the corona virus is history. I get all the info and stats about corona virus. We are in New Jersey locked in. Getting my mail is an adventure.  Paul, I hope that you are staying home until it is safe to move. Please do not share stats. We all can see them anytime we connect to any media.

• Like 1

The letters will be a CYA for the Cruise Company's liability.  They will be just like a Medical Marijuana card.  There will be "doctors" that for a fee will provide one.  Dr. Harold Bornstein is available, and your health can be "astonishingly excellent" and your "physical strength and stamina are extraordinary".

• Like 2