What will be Celebrity's First cruise when they resume sailing?

ipeeinthepool

There are ships in Europe(Apex) and these countries have different rules then the US. The  big but, would they e allowed back in the country if the European ban is in place. 
There is an article on Yahoo finance that is titled “Cruise Industry defies 100 day no sail order”, interesting reading (I was unable to copy and paste).

Hal

Edited by HS2BS
Forgot to put name

21 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

There are ships in Europe(Apex) and these countries have different rules then the US. The  big but, would they e allowed back in the country if the European ban is in place. 
There is an article on Yahoo finance that is titled “Cruise Industry defies 100 day no sail order”, interesting reading (I was unable to copy and paste).

Hal

Most believe that the majority of decision makers full well know there's no chance they're going to sail in May and that even June isn't realistic.  They're still hoping people book these sailings now and hope they take the FCC; even if they don't take the FCC, since most companies take your money now and don't refund for at least a month, they get a short-term interest free loan.  The absolute jackpot for the companies are to take your money now, you take the FCC and it goes unused.  I don't hold this against the cruise companies.

I think it makes most sense if they start with a coastal pacific. The three coastal western states have announced getting together to consider a joint reopening plan. Once this is agreed upon then the cruise ships could take passengers from any of these three states along the coast. To get around the Jones act they can do a technical stop in Mexico or BC. 

Also the virus in these three states is more or less under control and its not a stretch to include BC and Alaska at some time as both of these also have relatively few cases. The voyages are also quite short. If all goes well Hawaii is within the realm of possibility. 

Back to the days of the original Love Boat!!

40 minutes ago, pooch1 said:

I think it makes most sense if they start with a coastal pacific. The three coastal western states have announced getting together to consider a joint reopening plan. Once this is agreed upon then the cruise ships could take passengers from any of these three states along the coast. To get around the Jones act they can do a technical stop in Mexico or BC. 

Also the virus in these three states is more or less under control and its not a stretch to include BC and Alaska at some time as both of these also have relatively few cases. The voyages are also quite short. If all goes well Hawaii is within the realm of possibility. 

Back to the days of the original Love Boat!!

You jest I hope.

Not at all. Makes the most sense to me. Look at the virus stats. And if you have open borders among these three states it doesnt matter if its by land or by sea. As long as the passengers all come from these threes states. 

We shall see

Hard to tell.  It won't be the US that's for sure.  The amount of hoops the cruise line will have to jump through if there is an outbreak on board will not be overcome easily.  The cruise line would have to pay out of pocket to repatriate people back to their home countries and I don't think the price of that inside cabin is going to cover that.  This last fiasco in Florida with those Holland America ships was eye opening information about the wall the industry will face going forward.

Edited by cscurlock

22 minutes ago, pooch1 said:

Not at all. Makes the most sense to me. Look at the virus stats. And if you have open borders among these three states it doesnt matter if its by land or by sea. As long as the passengers all come from these threes states. 

We shall see

Except of course sporting events won’t have fans in the stands....

14 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If I was Celebrity I'm not sure I would use one of my new ships to resume sailing.  I think there's still a significant risk that they would see an outbreak and this could potentially label the new ship as a "sick ship" forever.

The Apex already has a problem with crew testing positive for Covid-19, even before the maiden voyage. So is already a "sick ship". I suppose it was inevitable, but would have been good if it could have started out with a clean bill of health.

Air travel is certainly going to have to be linked into cruising. There is talk of an industry that will be heavily constricted with far less flights charging a lot more money. Maybe not so much of a issue for some on here who seem to travel in business or higher who could drop to economy but for many it could price them out of flying ( including us). If our flight to Hong  Kong returning from Singapore with Emirates doubles we won’t be cruising in February regardless.

I am more than sure that it will be Americas. They might want to be on the safe side at the begining and not going to Europe. They will most likely open a few ports here and there just to supply cruisers for the demand. Its hard to say how big it will be and what exactly will be the most demanding but as of now, I can totally see that people are a bit afraid of traveling too far from home despite the situation in the homeland 

17 minutes ago, yorky said:

. Are up you just doing google searches for the most negative articles you can find ?

No, just attempting to convince people that now is not the time to be paying away any funds to cruise lines until this whole thing shakes out, unless of course you don't mind losing money.

7 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

No, just attempting to convince people that now is not the time to be paying away any funds to cruise lines until this whole thing shakes out, unless of course you don't mind losing money.

It looks to me like you are stating the cruise line industry is finished. I’m not sure you are in a position to make that claim on the back of an article you have published which looks to be no more than speculation. Personally I don’t need anyone telling me what I should do with my money especially when it’s just based on someone’s opinion of how things “Might” pan out.

Edited by yorky
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, yorky said:

It looks to me like you are stating the cruise line industry is finished. I’m not sure you are in a position to make that claim on the back of an article you have published which looks to be no more than speculation. 

I'm stating what I believe from a lifetime in finance and recognising the unsustainability of the cruise industry financial model in the absence of turnover and continuing mounting overheads. The article (and many others) reinforces my personal opinion. Many cruise lines are finished in their current form.

2 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

I'm stating what I believe from a lifetime in finance and recognising the unsustainability of the cruise industry financial model in the absence of turnover and continuing mounting overheads. The article (and many others) reinforces my personal opinion. Many cruise lines are finished in their current form.

No you are stating cruising is finished full stop and if people pay any money they will lose it. All of that is simply your opinion and not fact.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

What form do you see  for the future?

10 minutes ago, yorky said:

No you are stating cruising is finished full stop and if people pay any money they will lose it. All of that is simply your opinion and not fact.

Pay funds to any company that goes bankrupt and it is highly unlikely you will get anything back in the event of non receipt of goods or services. I am not saying that cruising is finished full stop. No one knows what the future will look like but it must surely be very different.

If no one knows what the future holds and what it will look like, why do people continue to post, ad nauseum, one-off articles from any source that contain only speculation about what may happen?

Lets just relax and see what unfolds.

mac_tlc

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, laslomas said:

I know what I would like it to be. A transatlantic, empty if necessary, to get Silhouette over to Europe. Without that there is no hope for my cruise in October. 😪

I am with you as I also am due to be on Silhouette in October. Mind you will be seventy just a couple of days before the cruise, and would need a change in UK government travel advice before I can go. My daughter has offered to go with my sixty something wife - kind of her!