What will be Celebrity's First cruise when they resume sailing?

ipeeinthepool

Who wants to guess what Celebrity's first sailing will be when they resume operation?  I'm guessing a 6 night cruise on the Equinox departing August 9, 2020 from Fort Lauderdale stopping at Key West, Cozumel and replacing Grand Cayman with Costa Maya.  After the US agrees to let them sail they only have to convince Mexico.  I'm not sure I see hope for anything before August.  Anyone have a better idea?

I don't think Mexico will need much convincing to open ports to cruise ships.  I agree with your presumed itinerary in that it will likely be the Caribbean.  I also think they will reposition other ships to be poised for the Caribbean as well.

I have also wondered about Bermuda.  Currently, they have a Bermuda/RI itinerary.  They could remove RI and just make it a one port itinerary like on NCL.  The problem will be the embarkation port...which will it be if NY/NJ is out of the picture?  Boston?

I don't think cruising will start back up until very late in 2020 or even until 2021.  My guess is at that time they will try a few cruises out of Florida with a select group of passengers who live locally,(so no flights are involved), just to test the waters.  They may stop in a foreign port, but not allow anyone to get off simply to prevent any contamination from an outside source just to see how healthy the ship remains.  They might test before the cruise begins and then before disembarkation just to see if any cases pop up during the voyage. 

Of course an effective treatment would be  game changer before a vaccine is available and I think that would accelerate the opening of cruises

Edited by mek
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mek said:

Of course an effective treatment would be  game changer before a vaccine is available and I think that would accelerate the opening of cruises

Agree.  I believe that an effective treatment, one that will keep the medical facilities from being over run with cases, is what will ultimately open up everything, not just cruises.  

5 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Agree.  I believe that an effective treatment, one that will keep the medical facilities from being over run with cases, is what will ultimately open up everything, not just cruises.  

That along with an antibody test.  We need to get production of kits where people can effectively test themselves at home out to the general public as quickly as possible.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mek said:

I don't think cruising will start back up until very late in 2020 or even until 2021.  My guess is at that time they will try a few cruises out of Florida with a select group of passengers who live locally,(so no flights are involved), just to test the waters.  They may stop in a foreign port, but not allow anyone to get off simply to prevent any contamination from an outside source just to see how healthy the ship remains.  They might test before the cruise begins and then before disembarkation just to see if any cases pop up during the voyage. 

If you're correct, this may be the end of the cruise industry.  Have you cancelled your cruises to get your deposits returned?

58 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If you're correct, this may be the end of the cruise industry.  Have you cancelled your cruises to get your deposits returned?

I had a June cruise that was canceled, so I requested a refund rather than a FCC.  My other booked cruise is in November with a NR deposit, so at this point I don't have a lot to lose by just riding it out until final payment is due in August.

A lot could change by then and I really hope I'm wrong with my predictions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mek said:

That sounds exactly like a cruise I would never even consider taking.

MV Guinea Pig.

22 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

How about if they give you three free perks?

On the first  cruise to nowhere, they will give you an N 95 mask,  gloves and disinfecting wipes.  That equals  3 perks.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Seriously, I think we need to look past the summer at least and likely the fall (which means the Alaska and European season are probably kaput) before even thinking about a first cruise.  

Way too many procedures/processes that need to be locked down before anyone should be getting anywhere near a cruise ship.  We have about 85 days booked between September and January and doubtful that we will be on any except maybe the early January one.

Waiting for cancellations to roll out to apply (and hope for) refunds.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Who wants to guess what Celebrity's first sailing will be when they resume operation?  I'm guessing a 6 night cruise on the Equinox departing August 9, 2020 from Fort Lauderdale stopping at Key West, Cozumel and replacing Grand Cayman with Costa Maya.  After the US agrees to let them sail they only have to convince Mexico.  I'm not sure I see hope for anything before August.  Anyone have a better idea?

In Michigan we'll be lucky if we are allowed to buy a gallon of paint or go fishing by August.  Cruises?  Nope.  Maybe December.  Or maybe not,

5 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Which ship is also part of this question in my opinion.  Celebrity has a brand new ship ready to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

That sounds exactly like a cruise I would never even consider taking.

MV Guinea Pig.

I can only assume that your name ECCruise relates to ECU.....Go Pirates!

The new CDC order issued and published today says that the ships cannot recrew until the order is lifted or it expires - 100 days from today. That’s probably why some ships still have crew onboard.

Hal

44 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Which ship is also part of this question in my opinion.  Celebrity has a brand new ship ready to go.

If I was Celebrity I'm not sure I would use one of my new ships to resume sailing.  I think there's still a significant risk that they would see an outbreak and this could potentially label the new ship as a "sick ship" forever.