What will be Celebrity's First cruise when they resume sailing?

ipeeinthepool

19 minutes ago, madmacs said:

I am with you as I also am due to be on Silhouette in October. Mind you will be seventy just a couple of days before the cruise, and would need a change in UK government travel advice before I can go. My daughter has offered to go with my sixty something wife - kind of her!

I can fill in for you if you would like !!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

If no one knows what the future holds and what it will look like, why do people continue to post, ad nauseum, one-off articles from any source that contain only speculation about what may happen?

Lets just relax and see what unfolds.

mac_tlc

Because that is how information is gathered.  Getting as many sources of that information as possible.  That is how you make decisions for the future.  One of the reasons that we are in this awful mess is that there was an abundance of information warning of the possibility that was largely ignored.

Beats sticking your head in the sand or gazing off into the distance (and not accusing you of that).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Because that is how information is gathered.  Getting as many sources of that information as possible.  That is how you make decisions for the future.  One of the reasons that we are in this awful mess is that there was an abundance of information warning of the possibility that was largely ignored.

Beats sticking your head in the sand or gazing off into the distance (and not accusing you of that).

I don’t consider non-expert opinions to be worthy of gathering. There are a lot of sudden epidemiologists on CC in the last 6 weeks. All sure of when cruises will or won’t start, where, why, and by whom. 

I guess that’s the price we pay by frequenting a forum whose sole reason for being currently isn’t. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

The problem is many of this information gathered clearly does not hold water, is purely speculation, or biased, and is then used as fact when no one really knows how it’s going to pan out. We can all have opinions but I draw the line at being told cruising is finished and we  are all going to lose our money, that’s nothing more than ill informed scaremongering.

3 minutes ago, yorky said:

The problem is many of this information gathered clearly does not hold water, is purely speculation, or biased, and is then used as fact when no one really knows how it’s going to pan out. We can all have opinions but I draw the line at being told cruising is finished and we  are all going to lose our money, that’s nothing more than ill informed scaremongering.

I agree, much of it is speculation and pure rubbish. That said, I think that it's important to read a wide variety of sources and then use a bit of common sense in assessing their credibility. Remember too that what might appear to be ill-informed scaremongering today might be viewed as prescient three months from now. Had someone posted in January that the cruise industry would be shut down in March, they would have been dismissed as ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I don’t consider non-expert opinions to be worthy of gathering. There are a lot of sudden epidemiologists on CC in the last 6 weeks. All sure of when cruises will or won’t start, where, why, and by whom. 

I guess that’s the price we pay by frequenting a forum whose sole reason for being currently isn’t. 

mac_tlc

When you said "articles" I thought you were referring to all of the citations people have shown on here from experts.  People posting on CC and expounding opinions are not 'articles."

Based on the handling of the Covid 19 epidemic in America including the fact that Florida beaches were reopened yesterday on the same day the highest number of new cases were recorded in Florida, maybe Americans should cruise on their own ships to American ports only for the next couple of seasons. Same could apply to other countries.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 12:49 PM, mac_tlc said:

Good point, gave me a little chuckle.  

We all obviously had out likes about cruising..I hope one day sooner than later, we will all get to experience it again.  

On 4/16/2020 at 12:49 PM, mac_tlc said:

mac_tlc

I'm not sure the government experts have a better track record than most on CC.  Just give me the data and I'll make the decision.  

On 4/18/2020 at 12:58 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Maybe the first couple cruises might be short 2-3 day  cruises to nowhere.  

I'm not sure that short cruises will be the first.  Once the cruise line satisfies all of the CDC requirements, they are going to want a longer cruise to try make as much money as possible.

On 4/18/2020 at 1:47 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Don't forget, they own private islands!

No, they lease islands that are subject to the laws of the countries to which they belong. So, for example, if the Bahamas isn't open for cruises, CocoCay wouldn't be open.

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

No, they lease islands that are subject to the laws of the countries to which they belong. So, for example, if the Bahamas isn't open for cruises, CocoCay wouldn't be open.

CocoCay is governed by the Bahamas and RCL acquired the 99 year long lease from Admiral but about five years ago they purchased the island which was previously also privately owned.

28 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

CocoCay is governed by the Bahamas and RCL acquired the 99 year long lease from Admiral but about five years ago they purchased the island which was previously also privately owned.

I'll have to take your word for it, as every reference I've read, including articles in Cruise Critic, continue to indicate that it's leased. Whatever the ownership, the point of my post was to note that the island still is part of the Bahamas and subject to its laws.  

46 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I'll have to take your word for it, as every reference I've read, including articles in Cruise Critic, continue to indicate that it's leased. Whatever the ownership, the point of my post was to note that the island still is part of the Bahamas and subject to its laws.  

It is subject to the Bahama laws, yet I would imagine if RCL is willing to pay the Bahamian Government to bring passengers to the island, they would be happy to receive the much needed revenue as long as RCL doesn't bring the passengers anywhere else in the Bahamas.  RCL "has" two Caribbean private islands and has itineraries that only go to two islands.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2309287-coco-cay-port-fees/  A lot of info about the ownership here.

Here is what Celebrity's first two cruises will (should) be. Same ship sailing each time , no more. And only after a significant safe point is reached from the Corona epidemic.

Sail dates will be posted when they are firm, no maybes.

- "M" class ship because of least passenger and crew count. Probably Millennium.  

- Duration, 4 nights 1st cruise. Three days at sea, one day on Coco Cay or Labadie. Passengers will assume same activities as before suspension.

- 7 nights 2nd cruise. Five days at sea, 1 day on Coco Cay and 1 day on Labadie. Activities as usual.

- Except for locals working the private islands, there will be no contact with citizenry. 

- All newly directed procedures and safety precautions will be practiced upon embarkation and disembarkation.

- Both sailings will take place at least two weeks prior to resumption of full cruising schedule.

- Celebrity will maintain contact with all passengers regarding their health and well-being, hopefully having necessary information in order to safely resume full time cruising.

It is recommended that subsequent cruises sail on the second day following previous cruise, in the late P.M. More time for ship sanitizing and rest for crew. 

22 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It is subject to the Bahama laws, yet I would imagine if RCL is willing to pay the Bahamian Government to bring passengers to the island, they would be happy to receive the much needed revenue as long as RCL doesn't bring the passengers anywhere else in the Bahamas.  RCL "has" two Caribbean private islands and has itineraries that only go to two islands.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2309287-coco-cay-port-fees/  A lot of info about the ownership here.

An interesting proposition. The one drawback that immediately comes to mind is that CocoCay doesn't work in total isolation, it has local workers employed there who could potentially be exposed to the virus and then spread it off island. That might be enough for the Bahamian government to reject the idea, but who knows. 

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

An interesting proposition. The one drawback that immediately comes to mind is that CocoCay doesn't work in total isolation, it has local workers employed there who could potentially be exposed to the virus and then spread it off island. That might be enough for the Bahamian government to reject the idea, but who knows. 

Full disclosure as we're in an "X" (vs RCI) forum, RCI currently has itineraries out of Port Everglades, where it only goes to the two private islands, the next sailing appears to be July 20.  It appears that X doesn't have any itineraries that visit CocoCay but they do have some itineraries that go to the other private island of Labadee.  RCCL's third line doesn't sail in the area.

Back to the proposition, assuming either islands governments greenlight this due to wanting revenue, have all the land workers come from the cruise ship.  The bigger problem is where to embark/disembark from but maybe they could find some Caribbean country looking for revenue.

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 1