Layoffs continue - not looking good

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Means one thing longer delays in refunds and FCC's

Curious as to why you would jump to that conclusion as opposed to assuming that the layoffs were coming from other departments such as entertainment, ship provisioning, construction, portside employees, call Center etc...as opposed to finance.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Coopdog08 said:

Biggest piece for me from article was that most of the layoffs were permanent vs designated days furloughed. 

Yeah.  It's hard though....very difficult to know when you will be able to rehire and if your business will be large enough to justify that full rehire.  This is a very tough spot for everyone.

15 minutes ago, Coopdog08 said:

Biggest piece for me from article was that most of the layoffs were permanent vs designated days furloughed. 

that is concerning.  Tells me they dont plan on getting back to any type of normalcy in the near term.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You have to be real careful with absolutes.

Sorry, it's based on what I read on these boards and yes there are a few that DID

get a refund from their credit card company by filing a dispute. Also many got

refunds for taxes and fees, drink packages etc. but not for the cruise.

Also, there many be cruisers who got a 100% but have not reported this

on these boards. 

12 minutes ago, 20165 said:

that is concerning.  Tells me they don't plan on getting back to any type of normalcy in the near term.  

Which is why my company terminated all of us during a liquidation. They told us that the liquidation company would be incontact with us to work as consultants when they open. We all laughed and gave them a one finger salute.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Coopdog08 said:

Permanent is a relative term.  I imagine if RCCL survives as a going entity, when things pick they probably look at rehiring the former employees first.  Saves on training costs.  Obviously if RCCL is smaller then probably won't rehire everyone.

Many companies have laid off employees.  I am sure they also would do the same.

2 hours ago, BP99 said:

Sorry, it's based on what I read on these boards and yes there are a few that DID

get a refund from their credit card company by filing a dispute. Also many got

refunds for taxes and fees, drink packages etc. but not for the cruise.

Also, there many be cruisers who got a 100% but have not reported this

on these boards. 

We did get a 100% refund but it was for a trip booked for next year. When this all started to go down, my first thought was bankruptcy. We had a cruise on the Liberty scheduled for April 4th (I'm pretty sure that was the day) of 2021. Our friends and I had scheduled it when we got off the Liberty last year. I emailed my TA on March 15th and they canceled our cruise on the 16th. We had two rooms reserved with refundable deposits, so RCI had $1000 of ours. The credit went through on our (RC) Visa on the 23rd, I believe. I contacted the Visa and they mailed me a paper check that I deposited in our bank. 

I did email our TA to let them know we got our refund (he'd asked me to) and he said we were some of the lucky ones and he was hearing it could be up to 90 days from some lines.

But it was a future cruise that was not near its PIF day.

Our friends that were going with us, they used Costco as their TA and I'm pretty sure they have not received their refunds yet. She didn't call right away because the wait times were so long. I'm not sure if that's why we got our credit and they didn't or not. They also had a DCL cruise scheduled for this month (either to or from Hawaii, I can't remember which) and DCL canceled their cruise and they got full refunds credited to their card within the week of DCL canceling.

1 hour ago, cruisinteach2 said:

Son laid off today and dil laid off last week. Thankful he has 90 days severance. Hope cruising returns and they can be rehired!! Praying for all those who lose jobs

What cruiseline and what positons did they have?

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

Next up, a thread titled "Will the RCCL layoffs affect my August 2020 cruise?"

August? Why wait??? I'm seeing some great deals on early July trips ... gonna get my deposit down quick so I lock in that cabin upgrade.

That moron CDC letter is over by then - not that anyone ever had to listen to their whiny Nanny State crap anyway. Constitution doesn't let those eggheads tell me how to live!!  

Hey, I was listening to AM radio this morning and they predicted everything is back to normal by May 15 - none of us will even remember this Fake Virus by June!!! Even Hannity says so!!

Tell you right now, nobody is gonna fool me with drive-by lamestream media hype! We're sailing in July - and one is gonna tell me different.

~~~~~

Intended as humor ...  but I can think of a dozen CC members who'd read it straight as is

Edited by EscapeFromConnecticut
  • Like 9
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, cruisinteach2 said:

Son laid off today and dil laid off last week. Thankful he has 90 days severance. Hope cruising returns and they can be rehired!! Praying for all those who lose jobs

I'm sorry. My son also works for a cruise line and we are saying that any day he still has a job is a good day.

Hopefully they can get back to work soon.

1 hour ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

August? Why wait??? I'm seeing some great deals on early July trips ... gonna get my deposit down quick so I lock in that cabin upgrade.

That moron CDC letter is over by then - not that anyone ever had to listen to their whiny Nanny State crap anyway. Constitution doesn't let those eggheads tell me how to live!!  

Hey, I was listening to AM radio this morning and they predicted everything is back to normal by May 15 - none of us will even remember this Fake Virus by June!!! Even Hannity says so!!

Tell you right now, nobody is gonna fool me with drive-by lamestream media hype! We're sailing in July - and one is gonna tell me different.

~~~~~

Intended as humor ...  but I can think of a dozen CC members who'd read it straight as is

You are cruising's Brent Terhune.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

~~~~~

Post was funnier before you edited it to add the disclaimer.  I got it the first time 😉

• Like 1