Major itinerary changes likely?

23 hours ago, clo said:

But why not go on non-cruise holidays for a year or two?

Because a lot of pensioners don't like flying, because a lot of pensioners find energetic holidays hard work but sitting on a ship watching the world go by is easy, because a lot of pensioners aren't certain they will be able to go on cruises in a year or two so they're making the most of the time they have got, and because a lot of pensioners know they are going to die anyway so don't want to spend the rest of their lives sitting inside staring at the walls in hope of keeping breathing for a short while longer.

Cruising is a very easy holiday in the UK because everyone has a port close to home.  Airports, by and large, are hell.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dsrdsrdsr said:

Cruising is a very easy holiday in the UK because everyone has a port close to home.  Airports, by and large, are hell.

Well, that's certainly a point. We can't get to any ocean, cruise port or not, without a multi-hour drive. So we fly. We're in our 70s and long retired but still energetic. Not as energetic as we used to be but sitting and watching the world go by isn't our idea of a good time.  We're thinking, as an example, fly to Paris, stay in a nice apartment, do as much or little each day as we please and then maybe fly or take a train to, say, Lisbon and do the same. Take a couple or three weeks. We're fans of public transpo but taxis/Uber work also. Re a cruise any time soon, as people point out being quarantined for two weeks on a ship would be just about anyone's idea of hell.

6 hours ago, clo said:

I've not been able to confirm this and this site isn't very reputable. So my apologies.

10 hours ago, clo said:

I've not been able to confirm this and this site isn't very reputable. So my apologies.

Yes, the Express is comparable to the Star and other US supermarket tabloids (which, sadly, seem to “inform” many US voters on political matters —— along with advising about  the latest alien UFO visits).

• Thanks 1

I wonder about World cruises in 2021 and 2022.  Will they even sail, and if they do, will they be shorter and not visit some of the more remote ports?  Until there were threads on the interrupted HAL 2020 World cruise that ended in Freemantle, Australia, I had no idea how old, feeble, and sickly the passengers are who take this type of cruise.  And apparently a lot of them don't fly, can't fly, don't like to fly, aren't allowed to fly, etc.  Maybe cruise lines who do these 90+ day cruises will require passengers to sign some type of waiver that absolves the cruise line from any responsibility if the passenger is unable or unwilling to arrange and take transport home. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, clo said:

Well, that's certainly a point. We can't get to any ocean, cruise port or not, without a multi-hour drive. So we fly. We're in our 70s and long retired but still energetic. Not as energetic as we used to be but sitting and watching the world go by isn't our idea of a good time.  We're thinking, as an example, fly to Paris, stay in a nice apartment, do as much or little each day as we please and then maybe fly or take a train to, say, Lisbon and do the same. Take a couple or three weeks. We're fans of public transpo but taxis/Uber work also. Re a cruise any time soon, as people point out being quarantined for two weeks on a ship would be just about anyone's idea of hell.

I wish I was physically able to do something like that.I live 10 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean and my happy days are going to sit on a bench and gaze at the ocean followed by a good dinner in one of the many restaurants in the beach front community.

33 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I wish I was physically able to do something like that.I live 10 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean and my happy days are going to sit on a bench and gaze at the ocean followed by a good dinner in one of the many restaurants in the beach front community.

And that sounds glorious. Our shortest drive to the ocean is about four hours. But we do have Lake Tahoe about an hour away.

tahoe 1017 2.jpg