Insurance claim or wait for possible cancellation?

Firepath

We have an Alaska cruise booked for August. My brother and SIL are also booked (separate reservation and cabin). Our final payment is not yet made but due soon. My brother was involved in a serious accident and has been in ICU for the past month. When he is released it will be rehab. It’s unlikely he will be able to cruise, possibly ever, and we don’t want to go without them. We both have travel insurance that we bought through our TA. I believe this is a covered event for both of us. Not sure if we can file an insurance claim just for our Non-refundable deposits or we should just wait for the probable cancellation by X to get our refund that way. Can I make insurance claim for just the deductible (and possible air fare)?

The reason we use a TA, other than great perks, is to have them deal with issues that arise along the way. My first call would be to your TA for advice; if he/she is selling the insurance, your TA should have some knowledge of the product. If your TA can't help, then call the insurance company.

• Thanks 1

The timing of everything is truly adding insult to injury in this very sad case. 

If the virus issues weren't going on, and I heard your question, my advice would be to call Celebrity, and see if they would waive the usual change fee, and allow moving this booking to another sailing.  This would be similar to the result I think you'd get if you used a "cruise with confidence change". 

The other would be that Celebrity might be able to simply refund, since you're before final payment; and not have you forfeit the usual penalty for the non-refundable booking.  It really can't hurt to ask.  I'd start with the Captain's Club desk (1-844-418-6824).  Over the years, I've found a reasonable request - and I certainly think yours would be - has a better than even chance of being granted.

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Booked our Alaska cruise and as you

know it was canceled. Purchased insurance thru  Insure My Trip which is who I’ve used for 20 years. Applied for a refund and was told it’s too late for a cancellation refund. They were going to see if it could be applied too another cruise but I’m 72 with an underlying health condition. Looks like I lost $273. Lesson learned. Going to purchase through the cruise companies from now on. Still no refund from Celebrity. Insurance company will not reply back.

Edited by B113

15 minutes ago, B113 said:

Booked our Alaska cruise and as you

know it was canceled. Purchased insurance thru  Insure My Trip which is who I’ve used for 20 years. Applied for a refund and was told it’s too late for a cancellation refund. They were going to see if it could be applied too another cruise but I’m 72 with an underlying health condition. Looks like I lost $273. Lesson learned. Going to purchase through the cruise companies from now on. Still no refund from Celebrity. Insurance company will not reply back.

Alas, that's the nature of travel insurance.  The premium is considered "earned" upon purchase (disregarding any "free-look" period).  The insurance is providing protection from the date of purchase, so their position is they would not owe a refund when you decide - for whatever reason - not to take the trip. 

Similarly, if trip insurance pays for a covered, cancelled trip, the one expense not reimbursed woudl be the insurance premium. 

In the cases that the insurance purchased through the cruise line is allowing for refunds, understand that's a goodwill gesture, outside of what the policy requires.  Thus, you wouldn't want to count on that in a future situation.

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Firepath said:

We have an Alaska cruise booked for August. My brother and SIL are also booked (separate reservation and cabin). Our final payment is not yet made but due soon. My brother was involved in a serious accident and has been in ICU for the past month. When he is released it will be rehab. It’s unlikely he will be able to cruise, possibly ever, and we don’t want to go without them. We both have travel insurance that we bought through our TA. I believe this is a covered event for both of us. Not sure if we can file an insurance claim just for our Non-refundable deposits or we should just wait for the probable cancellation by X to get our refund that way. Can I make insurance claim for just the deductible (and possible air fare)?

Am confused.  Airlines are really being cooperative in cancelling.  One member of your party being in the hospital would very likely have a refund.  The other always out is if the is a change of more than 60 minutes for departure or arrival (not intermediate stops) you simply tell them to cancel and refund your $$.

For your cruise - you are not to final.payment.  Cancel.  You might face a $100pp charge but that is peanuts compared to everything that is happening.  Would think the cruise insurance policy would be refunded too.

Time to definately move on.

Let the cruise go, especially as you say your brother is boot likely to be able to cruise again.

You should be able to cancel and move the NRD to another cruise next year as well as what you paid for the insurance as it can be moved to cover a future cruise. We are looking at this with our Viking cruise in September as I doubt it will sail, When it is cancelled we are going to book an X cruise to Greece next May and our insurance will move to that cruise as long as we make no claims on the September cruise. Our airfare on American is another issue, we hope AA will let us move it to the next May cruise. The insurance was a 3rd party policy bought through our TA.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Firepath said:

f - I Am so sorry to read about your brother, how unfortunate to be sure.

If you are sure that he will not be able to sail, then canceling and getting a refund for all but your deposit, is in order. The NRD, pending on your insurance coverage, can be claimed with them.

While not sure during these times, a call to X is order to find out if they are in an 'accommodating' mode with all else they have going on.

Good luck with your brother and I hope you are able to make the Alaska sailing regardless, as it would be something great to share the experience with your brother during or after his rehab and work to possibly get back to cruising in the future.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 11:21 AM, Firepath said:

Hi Firepath,

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he recovers quickly!

You need to check your policy wording to make sure you cancel at the right time and not too late. This is especially important if you are not in the 100% penalty because a policy will reimburse you for the penalties that were in effect when the covered event happened.

Ask your TA to explain it to you. Since they are making money selling the policy, it's not unreasonable for you to expect to get all the answers from them about your coverage from them. And for your TA to help you with the claim.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 12:21 PM, Firepath said:

I doubt they will cancel prior to your final payment date, but you can wait until right before to make your decision