Live virtual Transatlantic on the Regal

scubacruiserx2

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

It's in the low 60s here in the Detroit area as well--it was at least that warm last weekend.  Even tho I don't live in NY, I too have been watching Gov. Cuomo's daily updates (also like his brother's show from his basement--even when he still was recovering from COVID).

Also enjoyed your photo tour of the Enclave. I usually get a pass for the thermal suite on the older ships but decided it was too expensive on the Royal and used the sauna and steam room in the spa's restroom/shower room instead.  HAL ships have a similar hydrotherapy pool at a more reasonable cost.

Happy Spring everybody . The Spa came with suite . Our next 2 cruises are with HAL and we did book the spa with them .

30 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

when you do a couples thing at lotus spa;  are you the only ones in there and have the entire area to yourselves?

We haven't done any couples activities with the spa . We just happened to have it to ourselves and another couple came in as we were leaving .

Looking for the sunrise , and a place to shoot it this morning

IMG_7335_zpsd4z2okjt.jpg

The Seawalk donut hole

IMG_7339_zpspjbl4x7x.jpg

A mid ship stitch . Notice that the computer did not connect the dots

c49457c4-756b-45ae-b46e-73ac574099e1_zpsdzgrasiz.jpg

Forward at the Retreat Pool

IMG_7351_zpsd3vyzxxm.jpg

And a high angle photo of the Retreat Pool .

IMG_7356_zps3ba69n4t.jpg

Last night was the Winemakers's Dinner

DSC08589_zpsdgoxwpdd.jpg

The menu holder was made of wood and shaped like a barrel

4d7d6c30-19ec-4c3e-8a51-f45afa351fe2_zpsaooouhmd.jpg

The amuse bouche was a tuna tartare

DSC08591_zpsyqjzzamd.jpg

There is teaching session between courses about the food and wine served with it .

DSC08592_zpshmefh80e.jpg

A velvet bean soup with chorizo , langoustine and calvados (apple brandy )

DSC08595_zps3uasbkpw.jpg

The cheese stuffed Gnocchi is the best Gnocchi that I've ever had

DSC08598_zpsbahe9jei.jpg

The steak was excellent

DSC08600_zpsttqzydpo.jpg

And cooked the way that I like it , but I don't care for the goose liver on top of it but pat likes it so we share

DSC08601_zpsvoke6pwt.jpg

Dessert was nice and all of the wine had kicked in , making for an enjoyable experience .

DSC08605_zpssabfm1vo.jpg

It's like a mini version of the Chef's Table - at half the price .  😊

• Like 1

One of our favorite singer is Al Stewart and we last saw him in concert on February 13th in Delray Beach . When we're at sea and it's rough I like to play this song - The Dark and the Rolling Sea . 🙂 😄

Oh you slipped away from the harbour side

In the morning bright and clear

And your sails were filled with the rising wind

And you laughed for all to hear

But you never glanced at the ragged dance

Of your lovers on the quay

Don't call on them when the winds rise high

On the dark and the rolling sea

Oh you set your course for the furthest shores

And you never once looked back

And the flag you flew was a pirate cross

On a field of velvet black

And those landsmen who you but lately knew

Were left stranded on the lea

Don't call on them when the storm clouds rise

Oh I have no need of a chart or creed

You told your waiting crew

For the winds of chance, they will bear us straight

And you spoke as though you knew

So you paid no mind to the warning signs

As you gave your words so free

Don't change your tack when the timbers crack

Now the thunder rails in the great mainsails

And the stars desert the skies

And the rigging strains as the hands of rain

Reach down to wash your eyes

And your oarsmen stands with his knife in hand

And his eyes spell mutiny

Don't call my name when your ship goes down

On the dark and the rolling sea.” --- Al Stewart

Here's a couple of songs from that concert

We were thrilled when Al shared one of the videos on his Facebook page .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

I remember I was at Clark AB, Phillipines when Year of the Cat came out.  I think it was around 1976

Great memory ! That was the year I met my future wife . I had listened to Al in 1974 when I got out of the service and he had just released his Past , Present and Future album . I saw in in 1976 but Pat didn't want to go to that concert . We got a second chance to see him in 2015 at the Royal Albert Hall and he performed Past , Present and Future and The Year of the Cat albums in their entirety with most of the original band .  Here they perform a great acoustic guitar duet on the song Nostradamus .

And the song On the Border from the YOTC album

Edited by scubacruiserx2

On 4/20/2020 at 9:07 PM, Lucky TGO said:

When Princess tell you your to old or you might have some kind of a condition and you can’t cruise with them anymore. 😳

You will be very happy to take  a cruise on The Rowboat. 😁 To tell you the truth my cruising days might be over with Princess Cruises. This is why See Photo. Plus NO Virus to worry about. 

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

78918C13-1DA9-46BA-B1BA-674F940D5510.jpeg

Very nice rowboat, Captain Tony!

Edited by flahagan
Hit post too early

We were in port ( or supposed to be) in the Azores today where we took a private shore excursions in a 4 x 4 - the scenery was absolutely gorgeous!  What did everyone else do?

Edited by flahagan
Hit wrong key

14 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Great memory ! That was the year I met my future wife . I had listened to Al in 1974 when I got out of the service and he had just released his Past , Present and Future album . I saw in in 1976 but Pat didn't want to go to that concert . We got a second chance to see him in 2015 at the Royal Albert Hall and he performed Past , Present and Future and The Year of the Cat albums in their entirety with most of the original band .  Here they perform a great acoustic guitar duet on the song Nostradamus .

And the song On the Border from the YOTC album

Thanks for sharing these videos.  If you go to youtube and search for "Al Stewart Year of the Cat" 1979; long live version.  It is the best I have seen.  Cheers

Edited by AF-1

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Thanks for sharing these videos.  If you go to youtube and search for "Al Stewart Year of the Cat" 1979; long live version.  It is the best I have seen.  Cheers

Thanks for sharing that . The band playing with him had 1 original member who started the new band Shot in the Dark . They backed him on his next album and made several videos with him including this one .

Three music videos were created for the singles, with them featuring Stewart and backing band Shot in the Dark playing in a typical band set-up, although the "Mondo Sinistro" video also featured Stewart in some quirky restaurant scenes hitting on a young waitress (played by Cassandra Peterson, prior to her fame as Elvira, Mistress of the Dark). From Wikipedia

Azores

We were greeted by the Pilot boat as it appeared from the light fog , as seen in this clip:

It passed very close to us

IMG_6007_zpsnsgmfasa.jpg

It was a raincoat and umbrella day with a high of 62 F and a low of 46 . A Celebrity ship was already in port

IMG_6014_zpsefbaeamy.jpg

fd4599dc-05aa-46a4-a0cf-ef10b7b637ec_zps

We would like to thank Pemcorgimum , who we met on CC , for arranging our small group tour with Amazing Tours . Our excellent guide was Carlo .

L1110753_zpsfew7peex.jpg

We would be leaving from the Port city of Sao Miguel in the South . Pat and I had visited here in 2006 and had traveled to the East , so we had hoped to go to the West and see Lagoa Azul , where many of the ship's excursions were headed . But Carlo is a native and a experienced guide so we trusted him to determine the best route and what to see . It was a great choice - we would be heading East and North .

Sao_Miguel_Karte_zpsqzpnpfaj.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Carlo asked if we would like a cupcake and so a small factory was our next stop

DSC02691_zpsbrbzsdct.jpg

There was also a small harbor with a sign for Scuba

DSC02692_zpsqdpcq4ge.jpg

It was kinda cold and rough to be diving  but they have dolphins and whales migrating a little later in the year . Carlo wanted to show us some of the volcanic hot springs so we headed out to a park near Furnas . It stayed rainy most of the way . The island reminds us of Hawaii for those who have been there . Here's a clip of the ride through the park :

We stopped there and headed out for a walk

DSC02695_zpszinn0wdq.jpg

DSC02703-001_zpsjfo750n7.jpg

The waterfall in the distance was pretty impressive and with the steam coming from the hidden volcanic vents , it reminded us of a Jurassic Park . You can see it here in the video clip :

So we walked over toward the vents

DSC02706_zpsmur68knb.jpg

• Like 2

We went on a different tour today, arranged by one of roll call members.  First went to the east to see the "steam pots" where the steam comes up out of the ground and some locals cook their food in pits they dig in this area.  Then we headed west, stopping at a local's home for lunch which was delicious.  From there we went west to see a totally different landscape--mountains!  This was our first time in the Azores and we were duly impressed with the varying landscapes and "hot spots" to be seen there.  Next time we go I hope to wander around the port town itself which looks interesting with typical Portuguese architecture which we've enjoyed in Lisbon.

Edited by BarbinMich

There is a walkway that leads to a caldera , an area filled with boiling water , bubbling mud and the sulfur smell of rotten eggs .

DSC02713_zpskxmanx56.jpg

Notice the 3 mounds on the left

DSC02711_zpsljlwgio4.jpg

There are holes in the ground that use the heat as a natural slow cooker

Transatlantic%2009%20217-001_zps3mupurua.jpg

Pots are placed in the ground and covered up with a lid and dirt and the cook returns several hours later to pick up the finished product . Returning to the car , we stopped to take a photo of the lake .

DSC02708_zps1n6lmsyn.jpg

It was still raining so the photos were taken under the umbrella . After resuming our drive Carlo stopped in front of this Hotel .

DSC02715_zpstfizn5tn.jpg

He shared a lot about it and it's beautiful garden , which we didn't get to see . However I found an excellent , professionally produced video about the area , the hotel and the making of the famous Furnas Stew served in the area . And as good cruisers who like to eat , I would encourage everybody to spend the 4 minutes it takes to watch it . 😉

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

We went on a different tour today, arranged by one of roll call members.  First went to the east to see the "steam pots" where the steam comes up out of the ground and some locals cook their food in pits they dig in this area.  Then we headed west, stopping at a local's home for lunch which was delicious.  From there we went west to see a totally different landscape--mountains!  This was our first time in the Azores and we were duly impressed with the varying landscapes and "hot spots" to be seen there.  Next time we go I hope to wander around the port town itself which looks interesting with typical Portuguese architecture which we've enjoyed in Lisbon.

Is this where you went also ? 

Carlo asked our tour group if we were hungry . Fill in your answer here ______ . He wanted to make another stop in the town of Furnas first . It was another volcanic area .

DSC02724_zpssbttgdlp.jpg

There were some other boat people here

DSC02722_zpsvb2vfmcl.jpg

I loved this map of the area on the grass

DSC02727_zpsbzonp2ss.jpg

Carlo called us away from the other group and lit a cigarette . Have you ever considered what happens when you blow smoke in a volcanic vent ? Me neither , but when someone says " watch this" , I shoot video .

Next stop : FOOD

DSC02737_zpsuqrahbsw.jpg

DSC02730_zpsv11iljwd.jpg

Do you think that they have internet ?

DSC02731_zpsjltfs39y.jpg

Guess what we forgot ?

Now this really hit the spot !

DSC02733_zpsdhobqix7.jpg

We tried to order the Furnas Stew from the menu , but it was still in the ground . Plan B was a ham and cheese on a fresh sweet roll . I would to show a photo , but I was too busy inhaling it ! The next stop was our mountain top experience - a scenic overlook of the lake .

DSC02741_zpsej90drxu.jpg

We felt bad for Carlo as he apologized for the weather , and the others who have not been here before and thus , could't see what they were missing .

It was a little foggy in this view

DSC02742_zpsfaij5j9x.jpg

But totally fogged over the lake

DSC02744_zpsk4oiasno.jpg

From our previous trip , this is what we should have seen .

Transatlantic200920195-001_zpsaq3k1qsb.jpg

Transatlantic200920194-001_zpsxiux2vnz.jpg

L1110729 (4).JPG

Wow !   I am  impressed by  all the spots you visited . Thank you everybody for including your pictures also. Pat and Joe, Carlo sounds like a great guide. The area is built up on volcanic rocks . Their countryside has a lot of volcano remnants and rugged terrain.  The land looking so green I wonder if they have a lot of rain or maybe just constant moisture so close to the ocean.

I did look for more pictures and I am including them here. They are not mine. However, they are stunning pictures and colorful.

Sali

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=pictures+of+azores+islands&fr=aaplw&imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fportugal.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F07%2Fsete-cidades-sao-miguel-1200x400.jpg#id=3&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fportugal.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F07%2Fsete-cidades-sao-miguel-1200x400.jpg&action=click

Edited by Orangefan

44 minutes ago, Orangefan said:

Wow !   I am  impressed by  all the spots you visited . Thank you everybody for including your pictures also. Pat and Joe, Carlo sounds like a great guide. The area is built up on volcanic rocks . Their countryside has a lot of volcano remnants and rugged terrain.  The land looking so green I wonder if they have a lot of rain or maybe just constant moisture so close to the ocean.

I did look for more pictures and I am including them here. They are not mine. However, they are stunning pictures and colorful.

Sali

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=pictures+of+azores+islands&fr=aaplw&imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fportugal.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F07%2Fsete-cidades-sao-miguel-1200x400.jpg#id=3&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fportugal.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F07%2Fsete-cidades-sao-miguel-1200x400.jpg&action=click

Thanks Sali . We only have a couple more stops .

Our next stop was a tea factory on the North coast . The larger of the 2 tea plantations had a bus there from the cruise ship , so we bypassed it for the smaller of the 2 , Porto Formoso .

DSC02790_zpsyckdezox.jpg

DSC02761_zps4stbqth6.jpg

The fog on the North side of the island had lifted !

DSC02754_zpsqfsl3f9p.jpg

Revealing what we had wanted to see . A stunning vista with the Tea planted in rows below .

DSC02753_zpsncjaiid0.jpg

While most of our group watched a video , I wandered off out back to this terrace - for the view .

DSC02788_zpsqvo7tzwr.jpg

Afterwards we were invited inside to sample their tea and for me , this photo's lighting conveys the mood 

DSC02766_zpsqs04whie.jpg

• Like 1