Where To Next?

Many of us are planning our next cruise while others, like me, are adopting a wait and see.

The question I would put to y'all is "What's on your bucket list of travel"?

How about sharing your top three destinations (or more if you wish) in each of two categories? By sea and by land. My list would have;

Sea:

1. Iceland and Scandinavia

2. Antarctica

3. South America

Land:

1. Morocco

2. New York

3. Namibia

I also would like to re visit some places I have previously been. #1 would be Egypt.

With my cruise to the Norwegian fjords and Iceland now cancelled, they are first on my list. I am looking at a Fred. Olsen cruise in August, 2021, but I feel there is some doubt whether the world will open to cruising by then. Anyway, I hope it will.

I have been to the others on your list with the exception of Namibia.

1.Still have a Japan to Alaska cruise next year but I have my doubts about that going ahead if no Oz cruise season as the ship is repositioning from OZ to Alaska via Asia.

2. Just cancelled a 41 night cruise South America and Antarctica so looking at 2022

3. Scandi/Baltic

4. Also looking at something like niche cruising ie barge, freighter

18 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Ferry - Tahiti Marquesas Islands 

When you mean ferry do you mean Aranui? Because it is not really a ferry but a hybrid cruise/freighter ship, only locals are allowed to book a ferry passage on that ship even then it is limited, the government prefers they use the planes. 

My bucket list

-Madagascar and Réunion 

-Antarctica and South Georgia

-The Amazon Rainforest and The Three Guianas

-Bhutan 

-Greenland, Svalbard, Faroes (would not mind returning to Iceland, it is an outstanding place and a week was not enough) 

-The Stans

-Ethiopia 

-Socotra if that war ever ends 😔

- Kamchatka Peninsula

- Micronesia 

After watching Great Canadian Rail Journeys last night on SBS maybe my next cruise will have include Prince Edward Island.

Though some cruise passengers I have spoken to do say that the ships fequently can't get into the harbour so maybe a land holiday might be better.

One of my top destinations was Jordan for Petra. Though on the day I remember the dust being kicked up by the horses but I would still love to go back there.

Sea:

- I'd like to be able to do the Western Europe cruise that we were due to do next month.

- The Greek Islands (more than just the usual ones), the Croatian coast, and the Black Sea.

- The Baltic and into the Arctic Circle.

- I'd love to spend a couple of weeks on a small ship in French Polynesia, three ports stops in three days just wasn't enough time there.

Land

- I still want to do a road trip right around Australia. Not sure DH does though.

These days we're finding extended land trips harder to do so haven't got many on the wish list any more.

Egypt would be good but from what I told it’s not safe.

A friend did the Nile cruise years ago and still talks about it.

we were planning a few nights in Venice and a cruise or two next year but I don’t think it will be happening.

Antarctica has only 1 more season 20/21 available for the larger cheaper cruise ships.

Also the older smaller vessels working down in the high southern latitudes.

The new polar code comes into force on 1st January 2022.  

14 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

When you mean ferry do you mean Aranui? Because it is not really a ferry but a hybrid cruise/freighter ship, only locals are allowed to book a ferry passage on that ship even then it is limited, the government prefers they use the planes. 

My bucket list

-Madagascar and Réunion 

-Antarctica and South Georgia

-The Amazon Rainforest and The Three Guianas

-Bhutan 

-Greenland, Svalbard, Faroes (would not mind returning to Iceland, it is an outstanding place and a week was not enough) 

-The Stans

-Ethiopia 

-Socotra if that war ever ends 😔

- Kamchatka Peninsula

- Micronesia 

Yes I did mean the freighter/cruise ship. 

9 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Antarctica has only 1 more season 20/21 available for the larger cheaper cruise ships.

Also the older smaller vessels working down in the high southern latitudes.

The new polar code comes into force on 1st January 2022.  

I have found the prices are less expensive now for the smaller ships than they used to be because of more competition.  I can recommend Hurtigruten. 

8 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Anywhere would be nice......

1st trip once restriction are gone

is Tasmania by the Spirit......if the places we want to go are still in business.....

Then a cruise  any local one will do.....

We will see   Don

If Tasmania is open for business in January, I'd prefer to take the ferry than fly down.

8 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes I did mean the freighter/cruise ship. 

If you want the freighter experience don't wait too long as they plan on separating the cruise and freighter which I think is a pity as I felt it was really a highlight to the journey🤗

8 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I have found the prices are less expensive now for the smaller ships than they used to be because of more competition.  I can recommend Hurtigruten. 

It will be interesting to see what happens to the prices of expedition cruises. They are already on the dearer side and with people losing so much discretionary funds you wonder how many will survive🤔

11 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

It will be interesting to see what happens to the prices of expedition cruises. They are already on the dearer side and with people losing so much discretionary funds you wonder how many will survive🤔

Expedition cruises are less expensive than they used to be.  My daughter originally went to Antarctica in a 3 bed cabin, on a very basic ship.  Then she came with me on Hurtigruten in a 2 bed cabin on Fram - a much nicer ship - with great expedition staff - for less cost.  There is much more competition now on the Antarctica route for those who wish to land, kayak, etc.  All small ships, which cruise Antarctica, look out for each other.  It truely is a trip of a lifetime, although many end up going more than once.  I think expedition cruises are good value.  You just can't cruise as often as you may like.

Edited by MMDown Under

On 4/22/2020 at 9:19 AM, lyndarra said:

Many of us are planning our next cruise while others, like me, are adopting a wait and see.

The question I would put to y'all is "What's on your bucket list of travel"?

How about sharing your top three destinations (or more if you wish) in each of two categories? By sea and by land. My list would have;

Sea:

1. Iceland and Scandinavia

2. Antarctica

3. South America

Land:

1. Morocco

2. New York

3. Namibia

I also would like to re visit some places I have previously been. #1 would be Egypt.

For me, bucket lists include cruises to and around Africa, Caribbean, Chile, New England, Greenland, Lapland and the Black Sea.

As for travel other than cruising, then Egypt, Jordan, Turkey, the 5 Stans, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Georgia and Armenia, Romania and Bulgaria.

7 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

If you want the freighter experience don't wait too long as they plan on separating the cruise and freighter which I think is a pity as I felt it was really a highlight to the journey🤗

Thanks.  I'll look in to the proposed separation.  I agree the cruise freighter experience is a highlight   We did the Norwegian Coastal Voyage and Alaskan Marine Highway.

43 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks.  I'll look in to the proposed separation.  I agree the cruise freighter experience is a highlight   We did the Norwegian Coastal Voyage and Alaskan Marine Highway.

I would think with the COVID19 it would delay the situation. According to one of our guides she said they would be running both ships but the owners are looking to separate the operations. They are already trialling different itineraries. 

I would love to do the AMH, hopefully one day though I had read the Alaskan government is looking to shut it down, they have already slashed a lot of routes😔

Edited by ilikeanswers

21 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I would think with the COVID19 it would delay the situation. According to one of our guides she said they would be running both ships but the owners are looking to separate the operations. They are already trialling different itineraries. 

I would love to do the AMH, hopefully one day though I had read the Alaskan government is looking to shut it down, they have already slashed a lot of routes😔

AMH?

Mine would be:

Antarctica

Iceland / Norway

Mediterranean cruise. Greece , Italy, Croatia, Montenegro - Just beautiful

Land trip of the USA canyons again. All the way from Sedona area up to Yellowstone. Just a magnificent trip and would love to do it again.