How much money have you lost from your cruise stocks?

techcrium

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Say the company matches 50%, you have a 50% return right off the top even if the market is flat, which it never is over time.   In the famous words of Larry David:  Pretty Pretty Pretty good!  Lol.  

Where are you working that gives you a 50% match? The best I ever got, working for a bank, was a match of up to 6% of my pay.

4 minutes ago, jeremyosborne81 said:

Where are you working that gives you a 50% match? The best I ever got, working for a bank, was a match of up to 6% of my pay.

50% match of your contribution to your 401K.  Which is the same as you say -- up to 6% of salary.  My company did a 100% match.  

So, if need to clarify, if you save 6% of your salary and your company matches that by 50%, then you are already far ahead of the game without any market growth.  Of course, you have to adhere to the time constraints associated with a 401K or other employee saving plan.  

Edited by ldubs

3 minutes ago, jeremyosborne81 said:

I suspect they mean that their employer matched 50% of their contribution, up to a point. For example, if I contribute 6%, my employer contributes another 3%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jeremyosborne81 said:

I think poster was referring to employers who match 50% of what you put in - up to a certain % of your pay.  It’s more generous if they give you a 100% match - as mine did - up to that same 6%.  On that basis, if you earned $50,000 and put in 6% , your $3,000 contribution would be matched with $3,000 from your employer.  A 50% match means they would put in $1500 along with your $3,000.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I suspect they mean that their employer matched 50% of their contribution, up to a point. For example, if I contribute 6%, my employer contributes another 3%.

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think poster was referring to employers who match 50% of what you put in - up to a certain % of your pay.  It’s more generous if they give you a 100% match - as mine did - up to that same 6%.  On that basis, if you earned $50,000 and put in 6% , your $3,000 contribution would be matched with $3,000 from your employer.  A 50% match means they would put in $1500 along with your $3,000.

Yes thanks.  That is what was meant.  I'm surprised anyone whose company did a 401K match would not have understood that, but apparently I was not clear.   

Lost?

Holy mackerel, I’m up 120%, as of today’s closing market data. Check out the charts.

In Mandarin, the symbol for opportunity, and danger, are extremely similar. Odd coincidence right? Been going on for millennial, just accelerated with the the velocity of today’s markets.

Somewhere, here on CC, I laid out why this might be true. Search my profile to find the post.

See you on another cruise! Hopefully not too far in the future!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The most generous I have found is defined contribution (rather than match) where the employer puts a % of income to the employee's account regardless of how much the employee contributes.

I'm also young enough/hopeful enough to max out the Roth.  I'd rather give up the tax deferment now for the tax free growth later.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

The most generous I have found is defined contribution (rather than match) where the employer puts a % of income to the employee's account regardless of how much the employee contributes.

I'm also young enough/hopeful enough to max out the Roth.  I'd rather give up the tax deferment now for the tax free growth later.

That sounds more  like a defined contribution pension plan - rather than a 401k.  I was fortunate enough to have gotten vested (long enough participating) in my employer’s defined benefit (a certain percentage of the mean of your last five years’ base salary) plan - which was in addition to the 401k - where they would match your contribution.

18 hours ago, c-boy said:

" You haven't lost anything if you haven't sold

True, but you could lose everything if you never sell.  During the dot com bust I rode my largest holding to zero (bankruptcy) because I just couldn't believe it could go any lower and I didn't want to sell and recognize the ever growing losses.  Never assume the worst can't happen.  

Edited by mnocket

3 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Yeah, we were too early for that but definitely the way to go. And I understand that there are Roth IRAs and 401(k)s.

2 hours ago, mnocket said:

True, but you could lose everything if you never sell.  During the dot com bust I rode my largest holding to zero (bankruptcy) because I just couldn't believe it could go any lower and I didn't want to sell and recognize the ever growing losses.  Never assume the worst can't happen.  

So are you talking a single stock? Our IRA is a combo of a bunch of different funds of stocks and bonds.

20 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

- the market anticipates things which are going to happen - so today’s market prices reflect what will happen a week, month, or even year in the future . So if something which will reduce earnings a few months from now is anticipated, the market price today will be impacted.

Yes, I do understand that.  Thanks for your response.

For me, it presented a great opportunity. I like to invest in beaten down stocks and bonds, where I have good hard analytics, and the securities are taking undeserved punishment.

I believe there was an article out today, specifically citing RCL as being in a strong position, compared to the other cruise lines, with cash / credit to “weather the storm”. So, my RCL latest investing experience is detailed below. No taxes either!

In: 3/25/20 at $28.41 Out: 4/24/20 at 36.67 Profit: $8.26 / share or 29% / month.

However the real money was is the options, so I guess I‘ve earned my FCC, plus a good deal more. I’m also very glad to still have three cruises with fantastic itineraries, moved out to mid and late 2021. All my pricing, perks and OBC intact, and very little down.

Edited by ldambra

10 hours ago, clo said:

So are you talking a single stock? Our IRA is a combo of a bunch of different funds of stocks and bonds.

Yes I'm talking about a single stock.  My experience of riding a particular stock to zero during the tech crash was meant as a warning to those who are holding a cruise line's stock today.  All the way down, I couldn't imagine it could go down any further.  I was wrong.  There's nothing wrong with taking a flyer and holding a little cruise line stock.  With big risk comes big rewards...... sometimes, but I wouldn't invest an amount where it's total loss would be devastating. 

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Yes I'm talking about a single stock.  My experience of riding a particular stock to zero during the tech crash was meant as a warning to those who are holding a cruise line's stock today.  All the way down, I couldn't imagine it could go down any further.  I was wrong.  There's nothing wrong with taking a flyer and holding a little cruise line stock.  With big risk comes big rewards...... sometimes, but I wouldn't invest an amount where it's total loss would be devastating. 

That’s a really good post.

And it goes directly to the point of why your broker should be directly looking at why you should hedge, and presenting you with other potential investments. Yes, the cruise credit is great, but it’s a pittance compared to potential losses, or gains.

I’m not talking about taking a flyer on options, investing in a hedge fund, or some other crazy strategy.

I’m just saying that if you’re retired, you want to limit your downside risk, and you’re concerned about risk, these are real concerns. After all, you really don’t want to experience large losses after retirement.

Find a “good guy”, and then take his advice! That’s my best advice.

Edited by ldambra
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Not a pension plan - the contributions went directly into the 403B (not for profit).  I probably did have the wrong term though - benefit vs. contribution - I've been a homemaker for over 18 years so it's been a while 😉 

Not for profits (NFP) that set up a Simplified Pension Plan (SEP) before 1997 have a max combined annual contribution is $19,500.  If the employee is within 5 yrs of retirement age, then an additional $5K "catchup" could be added, $24,500 total per year.  These are pre-tax contributions to a 403(B).

See irs.gov for regs about current SEP plans, I'm also retired for a while from a NFP.

3 hours ago, ldambra said:

Yes, the cruise credit is great, but it’s a pittance compared to potential losses, or gains.

Not really. Not when you buy a limited amount (100 shares) as low as I did. I figure within four cruises I will have come out even...and as mentioned the stock is already around 50% since I purchased it -- so whether I hold it or sell it, it's not likely to be a loss.

Truthfully, the onboard credit was the main reason for my purchase. Clearly I feel optimistic about cruising in the future. :classic_wink:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not really. Not when you buy a limited amount (100 shares) as low as I did. I figure within four cruises I will have come out even...and as mentioned the stock is already around 50% since I purchased it -- so whether I hold it or sell it, it's not likely to be a loss.

Truthfully, the onboard credit was the main reason for my purchase. Clearly I feel optimistic about cruising in the future. :classic_wink:

Absolutely! I’m optimistic about cruising next year too. And my post was just to describe a technique.

I bought several hundred shares about three weeks before two Caribbeans and a TA. Soon as I got the confirmation, used the online form, got the credit. Then ‘X’ cancelled. I’ve already sold them all for that 29% profit.

Then I sold another option, far out, where I’ll probably end up with the 100 shares, about a month before our next cruise (mid-21). If I don’t, and it expires worthless, I’ll use the profit to just buy the 100 shares, and then apply for the credit on a B2B ‘X’ TA & British Isles, and one ‘A’ cruise (18 night Norway). Right now the option premiums on RCL are so high it’s just nice to build up cash for the purchase.

I do it in the IRA, so no taxes, generate the trade confo, use the online form, send it in online to RCL and presto, OBC.

Very nice benefit indeed! Thanks for your post.

Edited by ldambra
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 4:00 AM, jeremyosborne81 said:

The people who make money on the stock market have inside information the rest of us are not privy to. Of course, that's supposed to be illegal, but .... money

I have made lots of money on the stock market without any inside information.

On 4/24/2020 at 8:49 PM, mnocket said:

The most I can loose is 79%, as long as I pay my income tax. I will get 21% back in taxdeduction if the whole value of an investment is gone.