Would you wear a mask every time you were outside your cabin?

clo

I would not cruise under those conditions.  If a mask was require it would indicate a possible covid issue.    A cruise ship would be the second last place I would rather be. The last place being in a hospital bed on a ventilator.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

The medical people are wearing N-95 masks which are far different from the ones available to others.

actually if there wasn’t a shortage of N95 you could buy them just like any hospital sadly there is a shortage of them.  The difference are minimal but cost /unit, but they are all made by same manufactures

FEF6ADF1-41CD-49E4-9AD8-FCADE01540C4.jpeg

15 minutes ago, iancal said:

I would not cruise under those conditions.  If a mask was require it would indicate a possible covid issue.    A cruise ship would be the second last place I would rather be. The last place being in a hospital bed on a ventilator.

Totally agree  and why cruising would be high risk, lots of people from all over the world, all living trapped in closed confined places, and what is worst already seen, anyone sick you are stuck

but on my next cruise I will have masked just in case 

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

If masks are required anywhere on board a cruise ship, I would not be wearing mine - inside or outside my cabin - because I would be elsewhere.  That sort of precaution would be ineffective if necessary, and absurd if not necessary.

well there are a few places in the world currently if they were your home you’d need to be somewhere 

I do not understand the big rush to start cruising again.   Are that that many people who either do not care or do not understand the covid issue?

Perhaps they will be the the cruisers laying on the sundeck all day to soak up the sun.  And popping disinfectant into their bodies.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

well there are a few places in the world currently if they were your home you’d need to be somewhere 

Yes, everyone has to be somewhere —   but the idea of that “somewhere” being a cruise ship while the chance of infection is so high that face masks are indicated is just plain stupid.

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

A mask CAN limit your intake of droplets from nearby persons  —-  course it is not a sure thing, but ANY barrier to infection is better than none.   Similarly, a mask DOES limit your spreading infection (more effectively than it can protect you) but it is not sufficiently  effective to warrant an actively infected person going out in public.

No, 'any barrier' isn't necessarily better.  Especially if 'any barrier' generates a false sense of invulnerability, ie, I don't need to wash my hands because I'm wearing a mask.  I know that may be stupid but it possible that some might believe and act that way.

Well I seem to be the odd one out, yes I would wear a mask on my next cruise. I am hopefully doing Savona Italy to Rio transatlantic, on Costa in November, if the cruise runs.

I will wear a mask and gloves whether it is mandatory or not, something tells me I will not be the only one either. The only place I will not wear a mask is in my own cabin. I do not see a problem walking the corridors, using lifts etc wearing a mask and gloves, it just seems like common sense in these times, to me. I will happily use the buffet at quieter times and just use a visor if they are readily available. Again at the bars I will wear a mask and gloves and social distance, same when getting some sun outside. I will not have a problem entering the theatre wearing a mask and gloves. 

Even before this pandemic, many people in Asian countries were wearing masks, its seem to be the norm in some of those countries. I honestly think it will become the new norm on cruise ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

Totally agree  and why cruising would be high risk, lots of people from all over the world, all living trapped in closed confined places, and what is worst already seen, anyone sick you are stuck

but on my next cruise I will have masked just in case 

So you'd cruise even if there's no vaccine? Even though you declare it "high risk." Interesting.

38 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

No, 'any barrier' isn't necessarily better.  Especially if 'any barrier' generates a false sense of invulnerability, ie, I don't need to wash my hands because I'm wearing a mask.  I know that may be stupid but it possible that some might believe and act that way.

That’s kind of silly — sort of like saying vaccine won’t help you if you are going to shoot yourself.  Any barrier IS  better than no barrier — what else you do is important, but it does not negate prior positive steps.

33 minutes ago, gerryuk said:

Well I seem to be the odd one out, yes I would wear a mask on my next cruise. I am hopefully doing Savona Italy to Rio transatlantic, on Costa in November, if the cruise runs.

I will wear a mask and gloves whether it is mandatory or not, something tells me I will not be the only one either. The only place I will not wear a mask is in my own cabin. I do not see a problem walking the corridors, using lifts etc wearing a mask and gloves, it just seems like common sense in these times, to me. I will happily use the buffet at quieter times and just use a visor if they are readily available. Again at the bars I will wear a mask and gloves and social distance, same when getting some sun outside. I will not have a problem entering the theatre wearing a mask and gloves. 

Even before this pandemic, many people in Asian countries were wearing masks, its seem to be the norm in some of those countries. I honestly think it will become the new norm on cruise ships.

Stop and think - what would your cruise be like?   Seriously!

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Stop and think - what would your cruise be like?   Seriously!

Well for a start, I for one would fell safer wearing a mask and gloves, than not, and to me, that's all that matters. Like it or not outside of your house, for most people, wearing a mask and gloves is going to be thee new norm, until there is a vaccine. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, clo said:

So you'd cruise even if there's no vaccine? Even though you declare it "high risk." Interesting.

Yes, I would.

The worlds biggest and brightest are working hard for a few months on a vaccine, perhaps there will be a new breakthru but don't see anything yet.   Also any potential vaccine will need many months of testing and blind testing of efficacy, I'm skeptical we'll have one that is clinically rigorous testing with good results in the next 9 months.

Most certainly the world must/will move to a Swedish like model.  Accept the virus will be with us like the Flu, Cancer, HIV.    

People seem to have forgotten the whole purpose of "shelter at home"  or "lockdown" was to flatten the curve so we didn't overwhelm the medical capability to provide the best treatment for those that got sick.    We saw China, Italy and NYC  overwhelmed.   Once we get the new infections, new admittance to hospitals, and intubations to the level that we have resources we should go to business as usual.     Large groups like cruises, sports events will be the very last thing that happens.    

Cruise/Sport-events and travel in general is high risk, I have done that in the past, and even though I'm in the "higher risk" age bucket but don't carry other risks, yeah I am going continue living as much as it makes sense.

Funny I used to wear a mask ALL the time in China ( I travel a lot there ) and nobody there wore them during the worst air days.  They all said hot and inconvenient and not worth filtering all that nasty air, but now worth it as you might catch something and die, LOL

0A62CFF5-F99B-4E2D-AFC9-778C68678361.jpeg

99347F28-3B0B-4F2E-B6CC-AD69EE941E0A.jpeg

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, clo said:

How will you eat with a mask on?

By not eating in close proximity to others. Wait until the mad rush is over in the buffet and eat at quieter times. Stay away from the MDR and their tables for 8. Needs must and all that, but there are solutions. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Have everything puréed, and drink through a straw?  oh, wait, I forgot that straws are passé.

Back to the drawing board.

Only plastic ones. Good idea!

4 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Most certainly the world must/will move to a Swedish like model.

Er, the Swedish model?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

And I'm not talking about all risky activities, just cruises. So maybe you won't get sick/die but being in quarantine for two weeks in a small room doesn't sound like fun.

I booked a cruise a couple of day ago with the full intention of canceling it next May if there's no vaccine - which I don't believe there will be.

Why cruise? Why not something else? Are you not a very adventuresome traveler? And that's okay.

2 hours ago, iancal said:

I do not understand the big rush to start cruising again.   Are that that many people who either do not care or do not understand the covid issue?

I sincerely don't get it either.

And Lysol is warning people to not drink it. Down the road some years and THAT'S going to talked about, i.e., "can you believe some people were that stupid?!?"

It took us  little time but we learned a long time ago that you cannot fix stupid.  

No thanks.  Even with the option of injecting disinfectant into our bodies, a suggest that at least one politician has made, we would not feel safe cruising at this point in time nor do we yet see a point in time when we would feel safe booking a cruise.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, iancal said:

Even with the option of injecting disinfectant into our bodies, a suggest that at least one politician has made, we would not feel safe cruising at this point in time. 

iancal, since I don't know you or your posting style, I did want to say that injecting disinfectant is NOT an option for any sane, responsible person. Please tell me that's what you are saying too. 😊

To OP's question, I would not wear a mask while cruising, hence I would not cruise. 

• Like 1

Of course not.  No one in their right mind would even think of doing this.

It is unimaginable that anyone would suggest such a thing.  Yet, it has been suggested by at least one politician as a potential cure.  And I do stand corrected.  He suggested injesting disinfectant, not injecting as I wrote above.   Not certain if he meant with or without soda and/or ice.  Go figure.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1