Would you wear a mask every time you were outside your cabin?

clo

1 hour ago, gerryuk said:

By not eating in close proximity to others. Wait until the mad rush is over in the buffet and eat at quieter times. Stay away from the MDR and their tables for 8. Needs must and all that, but there are solutions. 

That would kill cruising for me.  As a solo I always ask for fixed dining and a table for 8.  I'd not spend my money if I had to dine alone.

4 minutes ago, BlueRiband said:

That would kill cruising for me.  As a solo I always ask for fixed dining and a table for 8.  I'd not spend my money if I had to dine alone.

Not only is social interaction one of the attractions of cruising, it is hard to imagine how many could be fed (wearing their face masks - and why not latex gloves?) at tables for one or two — all spaced at least six feet apart. 

The sort of social distancing required would necessitate cutting passenger load by at least 50%.  

Think about it - that cruising experience for twice the price.

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That's the type of mask that I really need.  Can't find such.  I see my PCP next week and I am hoping he will be able to provide me a source to obtains that type of mask.

There is a simple DIY option on the CDC web page made from an old t-shirt that might work for you.

Quick Cut T-shirt Face Covering (no sew method)

Materials

• T-shirt
  • Scissors

Tutorial

A front view of a T-shirt is shown. A straight, horizontal line is cut across the entire width of the T-shirt, parallel to the T-shirt’s waistline. Using a pair of scissors, the cut is made approximately seven to eight inches above the waistline. Both the front and back layer of the T-shirt are cut simultaneously.

The rectangle piece of cloth that has been cut from the bottom portion of the T-shirt is shown, lying flat. The rectangle is positioned so that the cut that was just made across the entire width of the shirt is the top side of the rectangle while the original waistline of the T-shirt is the bottom side of the rectangle. From the top right-hand corner of the rectangle, the scissors are moved down approximately one-half inch, along the right, hemmed side of the rectangle. From this point, a six to seven-inch, horizontal cut is made through both the front and back side of the cloth, parallel to the top of the rectangle. The scissors then turn ninety-degrees to cut downward, a vertical line that is parallel to the left side of the rectangle; this cut continues downward until it reaches approximately one-half inch above the bottom of the rectangle. The scissors then turn ninety-degrees again to create another six to seven-inch, horizontal cut that runs parallel to the bottom of the rectangle, back towards the right, hemmed side of the shirt, and cuts through the right, hemmed side of the rectangle. This newly cut out piece of cloth is laid to the side. To cut tie strings, the two remaining slivers of the right side of the rectangle are cut vertically along the hem.

The final piece of cloth is unfolded and worn by an individual. The middle of the cloth piece is positioned to cover the nose and mouth area. The four thin pieces of cloth act as tie strings to hold the cloth face covering in place. The strings around neck, then over top of head are tied into knots.

2 hours ago, clo said:

Er, the Swedish model?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

And I'm not talking about all risky activities, just cruises. So maybe you won't get sick/die but being in quarantine for two weeks in a small room doesn't sound like fun.

I booked a cruise a couple of day ago with the full intention of canceling it next May if there's no vaccine - which I don't believe there will be.

Why cruise? Why not something else? Are you not a very adventuresome traveler? And that's okay.

I'm surprised you booked a cruise that soon when you also have posted you don't believe there will be a vaccine for at least 18 months (and in general seem to place cruising as a low option for vacation time/dollars).  Why give the cruise line any money when you don't think they will sail and possibly not even be solvent by next May?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

That’s kind of silly — sort of like saying vaccine won’t help you if you are going to shoot yourself.  Any barrier IS  better than no barrier — what else you do is important, but it does not negate prior positive steps.

Lots of silly folks around.

45 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Why give the cruise line any money when you don't think they will sail and possibly not even be solvent by next May?

One reason and one reason only...and a good question. That cruise is almost identical to the one we had booked for this Sept. and canceled.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/baltic-cruises/stockholm-to-amsterdam-MNA210908/

The itinerary is wildly appealing. Bob, who lived in Germany in the army, has visited maybe a couple of these; I even fewer. At our age and energy level I just know that it would take several DIY trips to cover this. And it's about $4k less than what we were going to pay this year. I don't believe they can go under that quickly, meaning a cancel date by May '21. We're willing to take the risk/make the bet. Oh, and that $4k doesn't include the $800 credit we got when a fare was reduced in December and we had already made our final payment. We'll see 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

There is a simple DIY option on the CDC web page made from an old t-shirt that might work for you.

Quick Cut T-shirt Face Covering (no sew method)

Materials

• T-shirt
  • Scissors

Tutorial

A front view of a T-shirt is shown. A straight, horizontal line is cut across the entire width of the T-shirt, parallel to the T-shirt’s waistline. Using a pair of scissors, the cut is made approximately seven to eight inches above the waistline. Both the front and back layer of the T-shirt are cut simultaneously.

The rectangle piece of cloth that has been cut from the bottom portion of the T-shirt is shown, lying flat. The rectangle is positioned so that the cut that was just made across the entire width of the shirt is the top side of the rectangle while the original waistline of the T-shirt is the bottom side of the rectangle. From the top right-hand corner of the rectangle, the scissors are moved down approximately one-half inch, along the right, hemmed side of the rectangle. From this point, a six to seven-inch, horizontal cut is made through both the front and back side of the cloth, parallel to the top of the rectangle. The scissors then turn ninety-degrees to cut downward, a vertical line that is parallel to the left side of the rectangle; this cut continues downward until it reaches approximately one-half inch above the bottom of the rectangle. The scissors then turn ninety-degrees again to create another six to seven-inch, horizontal cut that runs parallel to the bottom of the rectangle, back towards the right, hemmed side of the shirt, and cuts through the right, hemmed side of the rectangle. This newly cut out piece of cloth is laid to the side. To cut tie strings, the two remaining slivers of the right side of the rectangle are cut vertically along the hem.

The final piece of cloth is unfolded and worn by an individual. The middle of the cloth piece is positioned to cover the nose and mouth area. The four thin pieces of cloth act as tie strings to hold the cloth face covering in place. The strings around neck, then over top of head are tied into knots.

thank you for posting this -- it is super useful. 

I have still not been able to get any actual masks or even any of the cloth ones.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have still not been able to get any actual masks or even any of the cloth ones.

My husband made these for us. He used old undershirt tees of his. They fit medium well. I'd likely use an outerwear tee that has a bit more heft to the knit.

3 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Never, if they eliminate the buffets I would cancel. 

I haven't heard any talk of eliminating buffets but rather not having them be self-serve. We had that experience on Oceania in December. It worked just great.

I suppose that infusion would work as well, but I prefer a lower-strength dosage - but taken over a significantly longer period - I believe it is identified in the pharmacopeia as Cabernet Sauvignon.

We've been increasing heavily of ingestion of high quality alcohol, I've been reading drink enough morning, noon, night, darn all the time and your blood will help disinfect you, more effective than trying say sticking light up or down an orifice, LOL

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

We've been increasing heavily of ingestion of high quality alcohol, I've been reading drink enough morning, noon, night, darn all the time and your blood will help disinfect you, more effective than trying say sticking light up or down an orifice, LOL

We've been making iced Irish coffee to make up for the glass of wine we would have with a lunch out.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

thank you for posting this -- it is super useful. 

There are folks with seamstress skills in our neighborhood who are making masks.  Different sizes, colors, mens, women's, children's, etc.  They make them per guidelines provided by the health authority, and with or without filters.  Anyway, I don't know if naming other forums is permitted.  You might want to google "neighborhood forums" to find out what folks NextDoor are up to.  😄  

9 minutes ago, ldubs said:

There are folks with seamstress skills in our neighborhood who are making masks.  Different sizes, colors, mens, women's, children's, etc.  They make them per guidelines provided by the health authority, and with or without filters.  Anyway, I don't know if naming other forums is permitted.  You might want to google "neighborhood forums" to find out what folks NextDoor are up to.  😄  

I showed my DW a request by our county for talented people to make masks. As an art teacher, she is definitely talented, and has been making masks.

Edited by ontheweb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ldubs said:

You might want to google "neighborhood forums" to find out what folks NextDoor are up to.  😄  

Thanks. :classic_wink:

I ordered actual masks about a month ago and they have been twice delayed -- not sure if I will ever get them.

To answer the original question:  I would not sail right now, with or without a mask.

At some later point when spread of COVID-19 may be lower but not nonexistent, I might consider it but ONLY IF there was some real reason to cruise at that time/moment.

For example (and this is purely hypothetical):  Libya has long been on my bucket list due to a number of outstanding Roman ruins. In my adult lifetime, I missed the only few months' window when it was safe and allowable for US citizens to go by hesitating too long. If such opportunity arose again, I would likely accept some risk in order to go -- either on a land trip or a cruise. And would be willing to wear a mask.

Seems a long shot, though. :classic_huh:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

To answer the original question:  I would not sail right now, with or without a mask.

At some later point when spread of COVID-19 may be lower but not nonexistent, I might consider it but ONLY IF there was some real reason to cruise at that time/moment.

For example (and this is purely hypothetical):  Libya has long been on my bucket list due to a number of outstanding Roman ruins. In my adult lifetime, I missed the only few months' window when it was safe and allowable for US citizens to go by hesitating too long. If such opportunity arose again, I would likely accept some risk in order to go -- either on a land trip or a cruise. And would be willing to wear a mask.

If you do get to Libya - Sabratha is more “Roman” than anything in Italy — and then Leptis Magna in Tunisia. —- too bad old Lepidus got outshone by Octavian and Antony — I think his third had great potential.

Carthago delenda est.

Edited by navybankerteacher

Just now, clo said:

Oh yeah. I grew up in the South and ADORE grits but it's got to have plenty of salt and butter.

Ah, grits - a prime example of a neutral conveyor of flavor.  But, when properly buttered and salted, I must agree that grits is damn fine with breakfast eggs.

• Haha 1

If you do get to Libya - Sabratha is more “Roman” than anything in Italy — and then Leptis Magna in Tunisia. —- too bad old Lepidus got outshone by Octavian and Antony — I think his third had great potential.

Carthago delenda est.

Longing to go. (And Leptis Magna is also in Libya; it's my #1 bucket list place....)

Lepidus did get the short end of the stick, perhaps, but he was walking among giants. 

10 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Longing to go. (And Leptis Magna is also in Libya; it's my #1 bucket list place....)

Lepidus did get the short end of the stick, perhaps, but he was walking among giants. 

I want to travel with you!

One of my early teachers who had served in the British army in WW I commented that Darwinism had been turned upside down - leading to the survival of the unfittest:  much of the best of his generation had been lost - and future generations would be fathered by men found unfit for military service.

Except many good soldiers were misfits, loners and juvenile delinquents in civilian world until they were completely taken apart and rebuilt at boot camp by the military.

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I know the feeling, Socotra is on my bucket list and when it looked like I could visit Yemen, the country broke out into war 😔

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Right - traveling the coast road from Benghazi to Tunis in late 1969 with a friend then stationed at Wheelus AFB we got amazing, too-brief,  tastes of so many sites I entered in my bucket list to re-visit.

25 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Right - traveling the coast road from Benghazi to Tunis in late 1969 with a friend then stationed at Wheelus AFB we got amazing, too-brief,  tastes of so many sites I entered in my bucket list to re-visit.

I have spent several weeks in Tunisia seeing the Roman sites -- from Tunis (Carthage) to the edge of the Sahara -- one of my favorite memories is going by 4-wheel drive across the desert to a Roman fort that seemed like the very edge of the empire (akin to Hadrian's wall). Fantastic. That and actually walking through an old Roman aqueduct outside Tunis.

In late 2021 I am planning a trip to Algeria with a focus on the Roman ruins there (look up Timgad if you don't know it, one of the best preserved Roman planned towns for veterans, built in the time of Trajan).

That will leave Libya as a big SOMEDAY.