Will There Be Any Cruising At All In 2020?

vpearlkc

With NCL and other cruise lines having to transport crews home on their ships, how would they get the crews back to start cruising again? Just one of many obstacles to overcome before cruising can resume.

I can say that I am finally coming around to the thinking that we will not see cruising resume in 2020.  I've tried to stay away from this opinion for as long as I could...but assembling the crew is just the tip of the iceberg as it relates to obstacles to overcome.  We need ports of call, we need passengers, we need relaxed social distancing (which likely won't happen for a long time), and that's not even including all the stipulations imposed by the CDC (for US ports).

I read that Disney is considering remaining closed until January 2021.  I just don't see it happening, but would love to be wrong.

• Like 3

I can't imagine how.  The logistics and unknowns of all of all this, huge.  And as of today's report, ships are congregating out of US waters to swap stranded crews around to then sail them to their home locations.   A mess!    

They’ll sail, again....this year....probably Q4.

Won’t be a floodgate.  But, I think newer, more efficient ships will sail...50% of capacity....no typical buffet...more cabins designated for medical use...crew likely to get their own cabins.....more strenuous medical processes.

They’ll sail in 2020.

• Like 2

If they can get on this rapid test (saliva) that can give you quick results is the only way cruising would begin late 2020.  You would have to present covid-19 test results 48 hours prior to boarding.

However if someone slips through the cracks with a false test reading or same day boarding infection, it would set cruising back to the stone ages.

• Like 1

We have every intention of going on our cruise in November this year.  Lots of folks throwing out opinions but very little facts on here. Granted, the facts are completely unknown at this  time but I always hope for the best.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

I still believe we will see some cruise lines and itineraries start in late Q3/2020, maybe early Q4. Some restrictions on who is allowed to board (medical fitness to travel certificates like for Antarctica cruises) and boarding health checks. Enhanced sanitation levels. Life will go on because it has to.

Life must go on, so as long as cruising remains uniquely life-threatening, it will not be a part of life. The two will remain incompatible.

Edited by latserrof
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

We have every intention of going on our cruise in November this year.  Lots of folks throwing out opinions but very little facts on here. Granted, the facts are completely unknown at this  time but I always hope for the best.

Life has to go on - Cruises not so much

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Alaska is one of the states starting to remove in-state travel and business restrictions.  If it goes well, more to come - baby steps.  If it goes badly, probably no Alaska cruises in 2020.

Starting to remove in state restrictions, but extended out of state restrictions.

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

They’ll sail, again....this year....probably Q4.

Won’t be a floodgate.  But, I think newer, more efficient ships will sail...50% of capacity....no typical buffet...more cabins designated for medical use...crew likely to get their own cabins.....more strenuous medical processes.

They’ll sail in 2020.

What you say makes sense.

From what I recall (could be wrong!) don't the newer/larger ships have single occupancy crew cabins?  

If so, it would make sense they would start cruising again with those ships.

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I don't see how they can possibly sail at 50% capacity.  It would be a money drain, no profit ever.  It is similar to our  local situation.  Our state governor said he is going to lift some restrictions on certain businesses, including restaurants.  However, they will have to operate at only 50% capacity, adhere to many more conditions for the operation and control of employees.  Most of the restaurants have said no thanks.  They will not be opening under those condition.  They said there is no way they could make any money at all.   I think cruise ships have a similar situation. 

15 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

What you say makes sense.

From what I recall (could be wrong!) don't the newer/larger ships have single occupancy crew cabins?  

If so, it would make sense they would start cruising again with those ships.

Yes....many more single person crew cabins available.  Plus, given the ships will only start sailing 50%-60% capacity, they should all get their own cabin.

4 hours ago, vpearlkc said:

What you are describing is the end of mainstream cruising for the masses. The lower decks and inside cabins would be used by the crew. Balconies at three times the price and the Haven suites at least double what they are now. A return to luxury cruising for the wealthy.  

I don't know about that.  I think the market will drive the price.  No one's going to be banging down the doors to take a cruise for a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, roger001 said:

I don't see how they can possibly sail at 50% capacity.  It would be a money drain, no profit ever.  It is similar to our  local situation.  Our state governor said he is going to lift some restrictions on certain businesses, including restaurants.  However, they will have to operate at only 50% capacity, adhere to many more conditions for the operation and control of employees.  Most of the restaurants have said no thanks.  They will not be opening under those condition.  They said there is no way they could make any money at all.   I think cruise ships have a similar situation. 

My guess is that sailing near 50%-60% capacity might not net the kind of returns that they are used to, but it will generate revenue, which is what the new loans and aids that most cruise lines secured are probably predicated on....getting revenue flowing...showing the rest of those who might be ambivalent about cruising, that it's safe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

showing the rest of those who might be ambivalent about cruising, that it's safe

This. And I am pretty sure it will only be in areas where they have secured agreements with local governments so that a media coverage of a ship desperately looking for a disembarkation port won't happen again. In the same way I wouldn't expect to many disturbing regulations on the ship as that would look bad for business as well. Less guests, more space, more cleaning but nothing like waiters in the specialty restaurants with FFP2 masks or having to keep 2m distance in every venue. 

• Like 2