The Future of Luxury Cruising (from a Regent-lover's point of view)

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

This is interesting but scary.  In order to be effective, it would have to be mandatory for everyone.  And IMO it totally violates HIPAA.   I guess in order to cruise, you would have to waive HIPAA protection.  This would be yet another deterrent to people wanting to get on a ship.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Jim Cramer's 6pm show..."Mad Money"

See how he stands up to Cramer.  Cramer is very negative on the future of the cruise industry.

6pm Eastern time.  3pm Pacific time.

4 hours ago, greykitty said:

Quick Frank del Rio quote from Barron's just a bit ago - kind of makes sense to keep cruises 'in the neighborhood' at least at start up.  

The company is working with a former U.S. Food and Drug Administration commissioner to help come up with new safety protocols for when cruises resume. The CDC will have to sign off on any such plans.

Del Rio expects that when Norwegian’s cruises start up again,

they will involve itineraries “with less moving parts,” including Hawaii, Alaska, and Bermuda.  

Boring and not worth what one would pay on Regent.

46 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

6pm Eastern time.  3pm Pacific time.

I don’t see the program as being on at 3pm. I’m recording all of her shows today as I do now want to miss it.  

I was on the wrong channel..  The show is on now (Pacific time).  Thanks for the heads up.  I would have recorded the wrong program!

Edited by Travelcat2

10 minutes ago, fudgbug said:

they will involve itineraries “with less moving parts,” including Hawaii, Alaska, and Bermuda.  

Boring and not worth what one would pay on Regent.

We love Caribbean cruises! For us they give us the opportunity to enjoy the ship, and all that it offers,  in beautiful weather. 
To each his own.......
sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We love Caribbean cruises! For us they give us the opportunity to enjoy the ship, and all that it offers,  in beautiful weather. 
To each his own.......
sheila

We did our last Caribbean cruise in, oh, 2010 maybe, although we did spend time in the Caribbean on Mariner on the way to SA in 2017.  Since we winter in Florida, it hasn't been enticing to us, although we've contemplated "cheap and cheerful" mass market jaunts from Tampa as a way of warming things up when Central Florida gets chilly.  No more thoughts of that, for sure, but if the Caribbean is the only way we can cruise, we will do it--I know that I will miss the sea, more than anything, and just being onboard those lovely ships.

I could do the Caribbean as long as we don't have to get off of the ship.  The other issue for us is flying to and from MIA.  It is difficult at best.  We have one cruise scheduled out of MIA (March 2021).  We could book air soon but won't due to the airline issues.  After that cruise, we are pretty much avoiding anything out of Miami.  However, if there is a cruise offered that is hard to refuse, we'd do it.

The problem with Regent’s Caribbean cruises is not Regent’s fault. It is all the mega ships in the ports at the same time. It is like visiting  New York City, but with a beach. But on the back side of this pandemic, I don’t see how the CDC is ever going to allow the crowded conditions on a mega ship to ever sail from a US port again. So for those wanting a Regent cruise to the Caribbean, the problem may solve itself.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

The problem with Regent’s Caribbean cruises is not Regent’s fault. It is all the mega ships in the ports at the same time. It is like visiting  New York City, but with a beach. But on the back side of this pandemic, I don’t see how the CDC is ever going to allow the crowded conditions on a mega ship to ever sail from a US port again. So for those wanting a Regent cruise to the Caribbean, the problem may solve itself.

That would be great.  IMO, those of us on the West Coast like going to Hawaii - much closer than the Caribbean.  Agree that the Caribbean can be ruined with 10,000+ passengers disembarking at the same time in the same port.  Wish there were more sailings to Hawaii.  It would give us   several port days (and likely rough seas) before arriving in Hawaii where we could visit the different islands - perhaps overnight.  OTOH, there are pretty rough seas for the first two days out of Miami.  There is just something about going to islands that are in the U.S. that is appealing to us.

We would like a cruise of Hawaii also, but the only line thatm is doing it is NCL ( far from our favorite) and most ports seem to have to be tendered instead of docked. We feel that tendering is a real pain, especially on a ship with as many passengers as NCL’s thar cruises Hawaii. Of course, the reason there are not more cruise ship docks in the Hawaiian islands is the “Jones act” or  whatever it is  called, that severely limits cruises to this US state. And that law needs repealing — badly!

53 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

We would like a cruise of Hawaii also, but the only line thatm is doing it is NCL ( far from our favorite) and most ports seem to have to be tendered instead of docked. We feel that tendering is a real pain, especially on a ship with as many passengers as NCL’s thar cruises Hawaii. Of course, the reason there are not more cruise ship docks in the Hawaiian islands is the “Jones act” or  whatever it is  called, that severely limits cruises to this US state. And that law needs repealing — badly!

If Regent sent one of its ships from the west coast to Hawaii, it would be able to dock in Maui, Kauai, Oahu and the big island of Hawaii.  A true luxury cruise (such as Regent) to Hawaii and back might be interesting.  Drop by Ensenada very briefly on your way back to satisfy making a foreign port. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

If Regent sent one of its ships from the west coast to Hawaii, it would be able to dock in Maui, Kauai, Oahu and the big island of Hawaii.  A true luxury cruise (such as Regent) to Hawaii and back might be interesting.  Drop by Ensenada very briefly on your way back to satisfy making a foreign port. 

That would be perfect!

17 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

To each his own.......
sheila

It's not that we don't like Caribbean cruises.  We do and take the opportunity to enjoy the ship in beautiful weather.  My point is just that you can only do so many of them before they become......... :-) :-)

15 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

The only Regent close to that is Jan 15th leaving Hawaii with a two port stop on the islands before heading to FP. If it does sail, yes we are booked on that I expect the itinerary to be changed. Doubt FP will be opening up by then. So if LA is open then down to Hawaii and as mentioned a drop off at Ensenada before heading back to LA.

Sorry TC it’s on the Navigator:)

Stay safe

11 minutes ago, Foggyzx9r said:

The only Regent close to that is Jan 15th leaving Hawaii with a two port stop on the islands before heading to FP. If it does sail, yes we are booked on that I expect the itinerary to be changed. Doubt FP will be opening up by then. So if LA is open then down to Hawaii and as mentioned a drop off at Ensenada before heading back to LA.

Stay safe

Wow, I'd consider that itinerary in a "heartbeat"!  And on Navigator, so much the better!  😉

• Like 3

Your right pingpong1 - would not do it on Navigator - especially not one that crosses the Pacific Ocean.  As I recall, world cruisers had a heck of a time with the motion of the ocean between the mainland and Hawaii.  Even if you love Navigator, most people admit that it does not do as well in rough seas as the other ships.

12 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Your right pingpong1 - would not do it on Navigator - especially not one that crosses the Pacific Ocean.  As I recall, world cruisers had a heck of a time with the motion of the ocean between the mainland and Hawaii.  Even if you love Navigator, most people admit that it does not do as well in rough seas as the other ships.

We based this on Regent making up a new cruise if they would be allowed to do that.  It could be as mentioned - from the west coast over to Hawaii.  Do Maui, Kauai, Oahu and the Big Island.  Then back to the west coast with a short stop at Ensenada.  The Mariner knows the Pacific well, but we would love to see the Explorer or Splendor too.  This is just an idea, but if it ever happens, sign us up!

1 hour ago, Foggyzx9r said:

Stay safe

Prior to that cruise is 22 nights Miami to Honolulu.  We are going to book that cruise if our Alaska cruise is cancelled.  Navigator has issues wherein not allowed to dock in California (although it did it for crew transfer last month) which is why Miami to Honolulu not stopping in California.  Of course, this cruise will probably get cancelled too.

Marc

8 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Prior to that cruise is 22 nights Miami to Honolulu.  We are going to book that cruise if our Alaska cruise is cancelled.  Navigator has issues wherein not allowed to dock in California (although it did it for crew transfer last month) which is why Miami to Honolulu not stopping in California.  Of course, this cruise will probably get cancelled too.

Marc

Hah I forgot that one, I have been a little side tracked by the self isolation thing going on. Brain cells are growing redundant after 8 weeks of lockdown with another three on the horizon.

Due FP mid October but I think we will cancel. To add to our woes we booked with Virgin Atlantic out from Heathrow LOL, still at least I am not occupying an ICU bed so I am no longer going to get stressed over our cruise. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Foggyzx9r said:

still at least I am not occupying an ICU bed so I am no longer going to get stressed over our cruise. 

We should all add this to every bulletin board post we make or email we send.

Thanks,

Marc

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So, I didn't see the whole FDR interview (I got bored), but Marc said that he intimated they would start with one ship?  If so, which North American port would suit the largest majority of us?

Assuming it's the winter, my guess it would be the Caribbean, no?  San Francisco not such a great choice at that time of year.

2 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We based this on Regent making up a new cruise if they would be allowed to do that.  It could be as mentioned - from the west coast over to Hawaii.  Do Maui, Kauai, Oahu and the Big Island.  Then back to the west coast with a short stop at Ensenada.  The Mariner knows the Pacific well, but we would love to see the Explorer or Splendor too.  This is just an idea, but if it ever happens, sign us up!

We would do any of those three ships on a new itinerary to Hawaii..  If cruise lines don’t start up and it becomes safe to fly, we might fly to Hawaii for a few days.  It is such an easy flight from the West Coast of the mainland.