Italy Closed to Visitors till Years End

2 minutes ago, bigeck said:

I doubt it. Not even playing golf here. Still in lockdown and no flights in or out of Edinburgh. Gatwick shut a terminal last week. 

I'm on Anthem Ta from Southampton but doubt that will go

Thanks...all we can do now is wait and see what happens. Stay safe and stay healthy. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Unfortunately, cruisers are pretty lousy tourists from a revenue standpoint. And from a public health standpoint. I agree the situation is unpredictable, but even if things open up for foreign tourists, cruise dockings will be the last thing to open. 

Cruisers may not spend as much as people flying in and staying as far as hotels and restaurants are concerned. However, there are plenty of tour operators who do quite well by the cruising trade. And those port fees that get forked over every time a ship docks are not insignificant. My comments are meant more toward the Caribbean cruises as opposed to anywhere else.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, drlucy12 said:

Will the countries open to "land" tours before cruising? 

In a pandemic all international travel presents a high risk. 

While Madrid was being hit first, the first cases in Spain on the Costa del Sol were a group of American tourists on a luxury coach tour, where the guide was Italian. There were nine from that group in quarantine at a hotel in Malaga for 2 weeks prior to flying home and they were quarantined the same day that Allure of the Seas was in port. 

There were over 45 total foreign traveler cases in the quarantine for 14 days at that hotel. One American doctor traveling with the group was among the first deaths in Andulucia at a hospital in Ronda. 

Many Spanish villages constructed temporary road blocks, some by just dumping soil in the road to prevent entry by 'outsiders', including foreign travelers along with those from the Madrid region. 

In Sweden, a family returning from 2 weeks in the United States were among the first cases reported. The father had attended a conference and the family had traveled to 3 cities while in the USA. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, bigeck said:

All the shops opened in Alesund and Norway is almost out of lockdown. Looks like the Fjords and Baltics will be first

We have no talk at all about opening the boarders in Norway again.  Also the ban on social happenings with 500+ ppl attending has been extended to 1.september, so hopefully I cant see them allowing any cruise ships into port in the near future. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If we've learnt anything throughout this crisis, it should be that you shouldn't trust anything until its announced as official news. We've seen journalists twist news at every opportunity to make a headline or article more attractive.

Things are changing on a daily basis. It would be quite shortsighted of any government to ban travel until the end of the year when we don't know what might happen in the next few months i.e treatments, vaccine. I'm well aware that the most vocal on these sites would prefer to focus on the doom and gloom though. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, abbflex said:

We have no talk at all about opening the boarders in Norway again.  Also the ban on social happenings with 500+ ppl attending has been extended to 1.september, so hopefully I cant see them allowing any cruise ships into port in the near future. 

My son is due home on May 17th. He's still unsure if he will have to 14 days qtine on his arrival back in June.

You seem to be doing better than us in Scotland

1 hour ago, bigeck said:

I doubt it. Not even playing golf here. Still in lockdown and no flights in or out of Edinburgh. Gatwick shut a terminal last week. 

I'm on Anthem Ta from Southampton but doubt that will go

I think its headed to Galveston😉

29 minutes ago, bigeck said:

What about the 5 year touch up it is due.

Heading over empty is my guess, and then to Galveston instead of Jewel.

My guess is Jewel heads to Amsterdam or Copenhagen to try and slavage the Brilliance crossing.  But ends up in Florida instead of Boston

Total unfounded guesses, of course

31 minutes ago, bigeck said:

I fly Norwegian all the time. I would be more worried if I was on Virgin

They just frighten me. We had that option from Barcelona in March. Not sure what happened to that flight. I was thankful to have booked American 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

If we've learnt anything throughout this crisis, it should be that you shouldn't trust anything until its announced as official news. We've seen journalists twist news at every opportunity to make a headline or article more attractive.

Things are changing on a daily basis. It would be quite shortsighted of any government to ban travel until the end of the year when we don't know what might happen in the next few months i.e treatments, vaccine. I'm well aware that the most vocal on these sites would prefer to focus on the doom and gloom though. 

I wouldn't cite journalists as the problem here (unless you reference the Fox/Breitbart nonsense).

Now random partisans posting screeds on Facebook, attention trolls putting up tinfoil-hat craziness on Instagram, or the horde of degree-free but opinion-heavy people with YouTube vids about new miracle COVID cures ... yeah, those are well worth ignoring.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2020 at 5:02 PM, Heymarco said:

I don’t see any other new sources to confirm this information. Most other news sources are discussing Italy’s slow reopening plans. Looks like an ad-based site out of Pakistan so I would say Fake news.

NCL just contacted family member that had a honeymoon cruise booked for Italy and said no sailings until 2021.

@MADflyer - Any rumors on when Madrid may reopen for international travelers?  My daughter was living there, teaching English.  She flew back to the States the day before the lockdown began, but left a few things of value in her flat.  She wants to fly (at my expense 🙄) back to retrieve her stuff (and of course visit friends).  We're telling her to pay someone to, when they are able to do so, ship her stuff back here.  Will be cheaper than flying.  If it will be several months before she is allowed to fly in, her lease will expire and she will have no choice.