Maine ports closed

wolfie11

20 minutes ago, Potstech said:

And you know the duties of the infected person how?

Getting information from Erin Burnett as well as CNN could be your problem.

CNN starts with the facts and their stories lead off from there.

I'll rather get info from wikipedia than from social media or from the Fantasy News network. Thank God for Science.

Edited by HappyInVan

16 hours ago, npcl said:

40% of NZ tourist business comes from Australia.  So allowing travel between those tow would go a long way to getting economies there back on track.  While tourism would remain down, not as much as one might think.

13 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

NZ and Aust Govts have met with regard to creating a NZ/Aust bubble, which will enable tourism and business to open up between these two countries.  Many Kiwis holiday in Australia during their winter, whilst many Aussies ski in NZ.  A date hasn't been announced yet.  

yes, Australia / NZ can partner and pick up a great deal on used cruise ships and create their own cruise line to sail between the countries

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

CNN starts with the facts and their stories lead off from there.

I'll rather get info from wikipedia than from social media or from the Fantasy News network. Thank God for Science.

CNN has no idea what facts are unless they are provided by China ad they are truly stories, fiction to be exact.  That is why they are known as the Chinese News Network around here. Wikipedia can be edited by anyone who has a computer. And Fox News is wrong ad often as China is.

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

And you know the duties of the infected person how?

The White House described his duties as a personal valet who "serves food the president food."  See post #46.

• Thanks 1

The valet to the President like mentioned in #46; is personal and residential.  The personal valet is a civilian who is tasked with trying to keep the President on task and keep his schedule.  When the President has two back to back meetings the personal valet will make sure the President has enough time to get from one meeting to the next; so if a bathroom break is needed between meetings there is time allotted.  The residential valet is military and they are from the Navy.  They pack his clothes for trips; iron, wash, and travel with the President on AF-1 and where ever they need them.  The people who serve food to the President in the White are also from the Navy and they work in the White House Mess (kitchen, cafeteria).  How do I know these things;  I worked along side the valets for 19 years.  Just look at my screen name and you can guess.  Have a great day

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Potstech said:

CNN has no idea what facts are unless they are provided by China ad they are truly stories, fiction to be exact.  That is why they are known as the Chinese News Network around here. Wikipedia can be edited by anyone who has a computer. And Fox News is wrong ad often as China is.

Right! Everyone is wrong except you.

So, how come you misidentified the valet as a military aide? (post 44)

The true info was readily available. Can anything you say be trusted if your facts are so obviously wrong?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

So, how come you misidentified the valet as a military aide? (post 44)

The true info was readily available. Can anything you say be trusted if your facts are so obviously wrong?

Wrong again.  ABC News identified him as a "military valet that only saw the President on occasions" . No misidentification.

Can anything yo say be considered anything but an insult when someone dares to disagree with you. My facts stand whether you like or agree with them or not.

20 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Wrong again.  ABC News identified him as a "military valet that only saw the President on occasions" . No misidentification.

Can anything yo say be considered anything but an insult when someone dares to disagree with you. My facts stand whether you like or agree with them or not.

Yet, you have no link. After all these hours, that's all you can find!

"The infected staffer is one of Trump’s personal valets, the military staff members who sometimes serve meals and look after personal needs of the president. That would mean the president, Secret Service personnel and senior members of the White House staff could have had close or prolonged contact with the aide before the illness was diagnosed."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-valet-tests-positive-for-conronavirus-sparking-fear-of-west-wing-spread/2020/05/07/c6b6ce82-9082-11ea-a9c0-73b93422d691_story.html

" A U.S. official confirmed to CBS News' David Martin that the person is in the Navy and is assigned to the White House as a valet to President Trump."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-military-aide-white-house-tests-positive/

"A White House official who spoke to NBC News said the male valet, like other valets, does not wear a mask around the president.

The official said Trump was “not happy” when he learned Wednesday that his valet had tested positive for the virus, which has killed more than 73,000 Americans."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/07/coronavirus-trump-military-aide-at-white-house-tests-positive-for-covid-19.html

"Trump told reporters on Thursday that he has had "very little contact" with the valet. But during an appearance Friday on the morning program "Fox & Friends," Trump said the valet was in the same room with him on Tuesday, the day he began exhibiting symptoms."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/05/07/coronavirus-white-house-worker-tests-positive-coronavirus/3087897001/

What the White House actually said was ...

"Deputy White House press secretary Hogan Gidley said the valet, who is also a member of the U.S. Navy, exhibited symptoms on Wednesday.

"We were recently notified by the White House Medical Unit that a member of the United States Military, who works on the White House campus, has tested positive for coronavirus," Gidley said said in a statement."

But, some sites initially jumped to the conclusion that the person was an aide. That description was on some headlines. But, clarified later. Too bad you were misled. But, the problem is that you simply doubled down instead of admitting an error.

Says a lot about your credibility.

21 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

NZ and Aust Govts have met with regard to creating a NZ/Aust bubble, which will enable tourism and business to open up between these two countries.  Many Kiwis holiday in Australia during their winter, whilst many Aussies ski in NZ.  A date hasn't been announced yet.  

Thanks.

Sounds good. Let the safe countries reopen with each other. Their tourism industries will recover first.

4 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Yet, you have no link. After all these hours, that's all you can find!

"The infected staffer is one of Trump’s personal valets, the military staff members who sometimes serve meals and look after personal needs of the president. That would mean the president, Secret Service personnel and senior members of the White House staff could have had close or prolonged contact with the aide before the illness was diagnosed."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-valet-tests-positive-for-conronavirus-sparking-fear-of-west-wing-spread/2020/05/07/c6b6ce82-9082-11ea-a9c0-73b93422d691_story.html

" A U.S. official confirmed to CBS News' David Martin that the person is in the Navy and is assigned to the White House as a valet to President Trump."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-military-aide-white-house-tests-positive/

"A White House official who spoke to NBC News said the male valet, like other valets, does not wear a mask around the president.

The official said Trump was “not happy” when he learned Wednesday that his valet had tested positive for the virus, which has killed more than 73,000 Americans."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/07/coronavirus-trump-military-aide-at-white-house-tests-positive-for-covid-19.html

"Trump told reporters on Thursday that he has had "very little contact" with the valet. But during an appearance Friday on the morning program "Fox & Friends," Trump said the valet was in the same room with him on Tuesday, the day he began exhibiting symptoms."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/05/07/coronavirus-white-house-worker-tests-positive-coronavirus/3087897001/

What the White House actually said was ...

"Deputy White House press secretary Hogan Gidley said the valet, who is also a member of the U.S. Navy, exhibited symptoms on Wednesday.

"We were recently notified by the White House Medical Unit that a member of the United States Military, who works on the White House campus, has tested positive for coronavirus," Gidley said said in a statement."

But, some sites initially jumped to the conclusion that the person was an aide. That description was on some headlines. But, clarified later. Too bad you were misled. But, the problem is that you simply doubled down instead of admitting an error.

Says a lot about your credibility.

Non of that questions my credibility. It does question your need to always be right

Now go to the Moose Down Under and enjoy your needs.

Edited by Potstech

42 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Non of that questions my credibility. It does question your need to always be right

Zero!

Read the next post to see how it is done...

Edited by HappyInVan

23 hours ago, npcl said:

A slight correction, it means that every eighth positive person will test negative.

Considering that a lot more people that are tested are negative, the statistics would be far different if every eighth negative test was really a positive. As in my state there have been 64000 negative tests and less than 3000 confirmed positives. Following your original statement that would mean 8000 of the 64000 were really positive.  I don't think you really meant that.

You're absolutely correct. I stand corrected.

Thanks.

22 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Of course.

There are two kinds of people who reply to my posts here.

People who agree with me, and idiots.   🙂

I think a lot of people feel this way about replies to their posts...

What do most of these posts have to do with ports in Maine?  I'm curious, how many ports in Maine accommodate large cruise ships with thousands of PAX?  It looks like Maine's Governor has decreed that anyone entering Maine (whether a Maine resident or not) must submit to a 14 day quarantine.  That just killed Maine's tourist season and any cruise ship couldn't let PAX off their ship for excursions unless they were 14 day excursions in a hotel room (which isn't allowed to be open anyway.)  I wonder if the truck drivers entering Maine to pick up fresh lobsters daily need to quarantine?  Are lobsters considered an essential service?

13 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

What do most of these posts have to do with ports in Maine?  I'm curious, how many ports in Maine accommodate large cruise ships with thousands of PAX? 

I know Bar Harbor (a tender port when we visited; not sure if it still is) does.  We were there on the Ruby Princess in 2014.  IIRC one of the Azamara ships was in port at the same time.

• Thanks 1

On a Can-NE cruise aboard Celebrity's Summit, we stopped at both Portland and Bar Harbor.  It's not a "mega" ship at 2,200 max capacity (pax), but that's still a lot of visitors per visit esp. for BH with a population of 5,500.  Portland is much larger at 66,000 so it's at somewhat less risk.

On 5/9/2020 at 11:25 AM, BarbinMich said:

On a Can-NE cruise aboard Celebrity's Summit, we stopped at both Portland and Bar Harbor.  It's not a "mega" ship at 2,200 max capacity (pax), but that's still a lot of visitors per visit esp. for BH with a population of 5,500.  Portland is much larger at 66,000 so it's at somewhat less risk.

The Millennium class also carries 1,000 crew for a ship total of over 3,000.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:04 PM, Expat Cruise said:

The CDC is the federal Government, sorry you do not understand that fact. The state of California could not block the Grand from docking, they had to agree as the Federal Government through the USCG has control of all ports in the end. 

Sorry but your information is just wrong and not based upon facts , Admiralty Law, or Federal Law. 

Using your "logic" please explain how FL Governor Desantis refused COVID-19 ships to enter the ports of Miami and Everglades. The CDC provides guidance and can recommend actions to close ports.  Same for the USCG which is responsible for safety and security.  State governors retain authority over health and safety inside their territories, to include entry of foreign flagged ships.  Note: cruise ships from Carnival and Royal Caribbean were per fitted to enter, moor and discharge elected passengers and crew, and received bunkers, after assuring the governor they had compiled with all USCG requirements.  They were then ordered to leave port and return to sea.