Repatriation Plans Announced for Crew Members to get home

8 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Ships scattered all over the world trying to get crews off, and people here continue to post that they're looking forward to their regularly scheduled cruise in August......

Likely no cruises for the time being, earliest in August if at all on a less than a handfull of vessels.

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

Ships scattered all over the world trying to get crews off, and people here continue to post that they're looking forward to their regularly scheduled cruise in August......

I don't get it.  How can the ships be thoroughly disinfected, a new cruise staff be trained and tested- and perhaps quarantined when the old crew isn't home yet.  

My DH thinks they will be able to do it-  I am not as optimistic and worried about sailing 1/21

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

I don't get it.  How can the ships be thoroughly disinfected, a new cruise staff be trained and tested- and perhaps quarantined when the old crew isn't home yet.  

My DH thinks they will be able to do it-  I am not as optimistic and worried about sailing 1/21

I'm not so sure about our January/February 2021 plans either.  Even if ships are sailing, maybe not all, or with the itineraries as currently scheduled.  And maybe not a fun experience we'll be interested in.  We've already made alternative lodging plans in Florida for the 3 weeks we have booked to cruise next winter.  Condo's were already booked before and after that B2B2B 🙂

Edited by bouhunter

26 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

How can the ships be thoroughly disinfected, a new cruise staff be trained and tested- and perhaps quarantined when the old crew isn't home yet.  

Unlike cruises, the airline industry can sorta be turned on at will and crew can get to their ship in a couple of days. Cruiselines routinely deep clean ships in a few hours on turn around day. Don't expect much in terms of training - they'll make it up as they go and a few cruises after start, they'll know the routine.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, twins_to_alaska said:

RCL has some ships in the Manila flotilla right now.ships.thumb.jpg.ac45c8a65afce8138dabe01e61bb7e5d.jpg

manila.thumb.jpg.6a2133d15d3f312adc4ff30678cd97a9.jpg

Whenever we fly out of Manila, currently rescheduled for 6/18/20, we stay in a hotel in Pasay along the bay, would love to be there right now to see the flotilla.  Trouble is all those hotels are being used to quarantine returning overseas foreign workers, expecting another 300,000 between now and August.  Seems like Voyager has been there a long time.

20 hours ago, bouhunter said:

I'm not so sure about our January/February 2021 plans either.  Even if ships are sailing, maybe not all, or with the itineraries as currently scheduled.  And maybe not a fun experience we'll be interested in.  We've already made alternative lodging plans in Florida for the 3 weeks we have booked to cruise next winter.  Condo's were already booked before and after that B2B2B 🙂

We are cancelling our October before final payment in a few weeks but I’d like to think I will make our January Freedom sailing. That being said; travel restrictions, island willingness to welcome guests and the amount of mask wearing will all play factors in our decisions.  

Lots of time to see how it works out, when things start to move again at some point in time. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bigeck said:

Probably meeting Majesty and Empress. 

Don’t think there’s any reason for them to meet, If the plan hasn’t changed Empress & Majesty are just heading to Southampton and Jewel will be off loading her final crew there 

As of yesterday, we still have two crew friends trapped on ships.  Our bartender friend recently transferred from her home ship, the Oasis to the Liberty. She needs to get home to Manila as she has been since this started.  She’s glad to be off the Oasis where she had many friends become sick and one die.  She spent over a month in isolation on the Oasis, and although she loves the ship, she’s glad to be away from so many sad memories.  According to her, her return to Manila is still ???     

Our other friend is an entertainer, who was unfortunate to sign on the Liberty just before this started.  After a couple of false starts home (he holds an Irish passport) he’s transferred ships aNd has hope to get somewhere soon. 

The logistics of getting these people home has been an on going nightmare.   Can not imagine the logistics that will be involved in restarting the cruise industry?  It’s not going to be an easy undertaking and it’s not going to happen fast.  Realistically, I don’t see cruising up and running in the near future.  

Edited by fdthird
  • Like 1

I booked a cruise today for next year and the CSR was in Manila and told me her husband works on the voyager.  She told me that once a ship satisfies 14 day quarantine from last time someone got on the ship then it is allowed to dock and all crew then must do 14 day quarantine in a local hotel before they can go home to family.  She said very long process but she will be thrilled to see him by mid june or so.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

Just reported 3 hours ago that the Voyager has left Manila Bay, heading for Singapore.  Wonder if anyone other than Filipinos got off.  There is a Philippines Airline flight to LA leaving soon.

A TUI 787 first left London Gatwick for Hamburg 2 days ago and then flew Hamburg to Manila and is now arriving back at London Gatwick from Manila. 

Philippines Airline flew into Miami again yesterday. 

Wamos flew to Skopje, Macedonia from Bridgetown yesterday and the flight is now arriving back at Madrid. This aircraft was one of 2 that also repatriated to Kiev, Ukraine a couple of days ago.