Will you cruise without a COVID vaccine?

ERParadise

I would say that I would probably still cruise. As long as medical recommendations are followed and everyone is wearing masks and washes their hands I dont see a reason to avoid cruising. Moreover, you can always catch another from of a flue virus which may also be fatal. In my opinion, all this COVID situation is nothing more than another flue break out 

Your opinion is wrong. It is not another flu outbreak. Plus for the flu there are vaccines and drug treatments that are known to be effective to treat flu.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 3

Nope. I want to see my grand-children!

I can deal with Noro but I will never forgive myself if I am exposed to Covid and bring it home if I'm asymptomatic.

Moron will still be moron (won't wash their hands, will put food back on the tray, will argue with staff, etc, etc)

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I would say that I would probably still cruise. As long as medical recommendations are followed and everyone is wearing masks and washes their hands I dont see a reason to avoid cruising. Moreover, you can always catch another from of a flue virus which may also be fatal. In my opinion, all this COVID situation is nothing more than another flue break out 

My wife and I don't have any of the comorbidities and our lungs are in top shape.  We will cruise when it is allowed AND the following:

• No restrictions at any of the ports of call
  • No restrictions on the ships (we will NOT cruise if we must wear a mask all the time).

We don't want to run scared the rest of our active lives.  If we get COVID (if we have not already had it) the odds are greatly in our favor that even if we get a bad case our bodies will fight it off.  The best example of COVID 19 is to study the 1968 Hong Kong flu which is almost identical in nature.  Many people in the USA and the world died, but society and business did not shut down. 

Cruise ships are very dangerous for people with risk factors because viruses like this one spread very quickly.  But even on the ships with thousands of passengers (including the navy ships) the number of people who died is a very small number.  And for cruise ships the demographics during February and March were a substantial majority of people over 60.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I won’t cruise until the virus is not a threat. That means it either disappears or almost disappears, there are treatments to recover. Making it treatable is important as a vaccine might not be 100%. Also have to see what steps cruise lines take. Been on 60 cruises and doubt cruising is going to be the same as before. I won’t be one of the first to sail after cruises return. I will let the fanatics and those who don’t mind risking premature death go first. I will read the reviews. I will monitor the death rate. I am not addicted to cruises, they are not a necessity so I will let those who can’t seem to live without them be the lab rats.

My sentiments exactly. As much as we enjoy cruising, it's simply not worth risking our lives for.

16 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Your opinion is wrong. It is not another flu outbreak. Plus for the flu there are vaccines and drug treatments that are known to be effective to treat flu.

Opinions can't be wrong.  Everyone can have one.  Opinions are nothing more than conclusions people have reached based on the information they have gathered.  

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

And despite those treatments and vaccines, lots and lots of people still die from the flu.  Respectfully, one's opinion is their own and really can't be deemed right or wrong.  It just is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, dandee2 said:

Nope. I want to see my grand-children!

I can deal with Noro but I will never forgive myself if I am exposed to Covid and bring it home if I'm asymptomatic.

Moron will still be moron (won't wash their hands, will put food back on the tray, will argue with staff, etc, etc)

Not to be morbid, but you could trip in your home and hit your head the wrong way and die anyway. Assuming you even have grandchildren.

I'm not saying don't take precautions, and you need to do what you feel is necessary for you. But just avoiding COVID does not guarantee you living one day longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Not to be morbid, but you could trip in your home and hit your head the wrong way and die anyway. Assuming you even have grandchildren.

I'm not saying don't take precautions, and you need to do what you feel is necessary for you. But just avoiding COVID does not guarantee you living one day longer.

Guarantee? No. Increase your chances? Definitely.

These are the same types of false arguments that were made when car seat belts were made compulsory. Why should we wear them, you could trip at home and hit your head the wrong way and die anyway? 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

These are the same types of false arguments that were made when car seat belts were made compulsory. Why should we wear them, you could trip at home and hit your head the wrong way and die anyway? 

As long as it's not your time.

As I said, I'm not saying don't take precautions.

I'm just one who believes that when it's your time, it's your time and if you prevent the universe's Plan A (say by missing a plane that you should have been on that crashes) then Plan B will get you (you'll be hit by a car, have a stroke, etc.).  You can take all the precautions you want, but when your time is up, that's it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marieps said:

There are lots of ways to crunch numbers.  Nearly half of those deaths are in only 3 states.  Something like 20% are in nursing homes.  Certainly there are outliers.  No one said this wasn't serious.  I choose, with proper cautions however, to live my life. 

Here are some more numbers for you to "crunch."  The CDC projects 200,000 new COVID-19 cases each day by the end of May, up from 25,000 cases currently.  And FEMA and CDC forecast daily deaths from the virus to reach 3,000 by June 1, nearly double the current level of about 1,750.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/us/coronavirus-updates.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Here are some more numbers for you to "crunch."  The CDC projects 200,000 new COVID-19 cases each day by the end of May, up from 25,000 cases currently.  And FEMA and CDC forecast daily deaths from the virus to reach 3,000 by June 1, nearly double the current level of about 1,750.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/us/coronavirus-updates.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Still more data...https://rt.live/

Haven't really seen an accurate forecast yet...just saying.

• Like 1

Just now, DaveSJ711 said:

The model was prepared eight days ago -- so it doesn't reflect the CDC's new projections.

Actually no, it was updated today per this: image.png.4e8531cdf2f85152c0408de125d4b8c6.png

But that wasn't really my point....One can always find the data they need to support their opinion.  I take this site with as much grain of salt as all the others.  This data is no better than the CDC's IMO...it just happens to fit a different narrative.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Does the model reflect the CDC's new case and death projections?

That, I don't know.  But so far, the projections have been off, thankfully so.  Wouldn't it be a good thing if they continue to be wrong?  Anyway, let's just agree to disagree.  Be safe and stay well.

27 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

While I get  what you are saying there is no getting away from the fact that life in general comes with risks. We can all stay at home, take no risks whatsoever, and in my dads case die of a heart attack sitting in his living room chair. Dad never wanted to do anything which was hard on my mum and I always said I would never be a husband like that. As a couple we like to live life to the full but realise there are risks to everything we do and travelling thousands of miles around the world comes with risks without a doubt ( Still remember being chased by a guy with a machete in St Lucia many years ago).  Some people believe we won’t have a vaccine for many years and certainly if that’s the case people will need to decide if they never want to cruise again if they are on the older side. We will take the balanced view but losing cruising from our life will be a big miss and you do only live once. We would rather live that full life and die slightly younger than give up on the things we love for a few extra years.

• Like 6

To all those folks with unbridled exuberance and indiscriminate caution, I say thank you. "Someone's gotta do it" and "something's gotta give," two adages with points to be well-measured once cruising begins again. Unlike the sullen words of some posters and the naivete of others, my reasons for curbing my enthusiasm for getting on a boat are blatantly selfish.

Yes, I would cruise without a Covid19 vaccine available, and, I would take the injection if an approved serum was accessible. Just like my yearly flu shot. Here's the selfish part. I will not cruise until "first responders' to the new cruising governance have sailed and experienced and completed satisfactory voyages. I want to see reports, stats, conditions, results and whatever else is pertinent to the whole cruising scenario and it's aftermath. That way I can decide if the new system works for me.

So, to the valorous men and women who will pioneer the new direction in cruising, for my future sailing days and subsequent enjoyment, "I'll Be Watching You." In the meantime, I will remain amongst the huddled masses, like the namby-pamby that I am, venturing out as allowed and hoping to once again return to some semblance of normalcy. 

When next you cruise, only the best of times.

• Like 4

Yes, life does come with risks but that doesn't mean you walk into the street before looking both ways because "whatever will be, will be."  I find this line of reasoning absurd.  Magical thinking doesn't lessen risk in the face of actual danger.  You hear a knock at the door and look through the peephole to see someone in a hockey mask holding a machete dripping with blood.  You let them in because you don't want to be inconvenienced with talking to the police?  Say "well, it must be my time.  Come on in!"? 

• Like 1

The act of expressing an opinion is not wrong.  There are certainly plenty of opinions based on wrong information, though.  Just because you truly believe something based on your "research" (often obtained from an internet meme) doesn't mean that it's true.  That is the thing that is driving a lot of the current political divisiveness in this country.  People are wrong all the time (both sides).  Saying "well, that's my opinion" has become the way to shut down the conversation altogether rather than listening to why your opinion might not be that informed or has been informed by an extremely biased source.  It's ok to change your mind and not think in absolutes.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, yorky said:

We would rather live that full life and die slightly younger than give up on the things we love for a few extra years.

I fully respect your point of view, I just don't happen to subscribe to it. There are many things that DW and I have enjoyed but have had to give up because of the risk they posed. We loved scuba diving, and all of our vacations were dive holidays, but following DW's stroke she had to stop. For us, no leisure activity is worth risking our lives. At some future time, cruising will be back on our holiday listings, just not right now.  

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I fully respect your point of view, I just don't happen to subscribe to it. There are many things that DW and I have enjoyed but have had to give up because of the risk they posed. We loved scuba diving, and all of our vacations were dive holidays, but following DW's stroke she had to stop. For us, no leisure activity is worth risking our lives. At some future time, cruising will be back on our holiday listings, just not right now.  

We are all different for sure and it’s all about what’s right for us as individuals. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Yes, life does come with risks but that doesn't mean you walk into the street before looking both ways because "whatever will be, will be."  I find this line of reasoning absurd.  Magical thinking doesn't lessen risk in the face of actual danger.  You hear a knock at the door and look through the peephole to see someone in a hockey mask holding a machete dripping with blood.  You let them in because you don't want to be inconvenienced with talking to the police?  Say "well, it must be my time.  Come on in!"? 

There is of course a balance to everything in life, the risks we all take are part of that balance.

• Like 1