Not so fast

Dar & Bob

13 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

It won't be long and this thread will be taken over by the negative posts so thank you for sharing some encouraging news.

• Like 18

11 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

It won't be long and this thread will be taken over by the negative posts so thank you for sharing some encouraging news.

I know, but at least those that are fretting about having a large payment with NCL as we were may be comforted by the news.  

I'll put this out there - a Challenge, leave the good news alone 🙂 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

I know, but at least those that are fretting about having a large payment with NCL as we were may be comforted by the news.  

I'll put this out there - a Challenge, leave the good news alone 🙂 

I myself have $10,000 paid on my Alaska cruise and plan on using the FCC toward my other two so as long as NCL keeps sailing I will be fine.  No sense in fretting about it until we know exactly what is going to happen.

• Like 4

Don’t count on it. If there is some combination of vaccine, treatment, herd immunity that makes the virus not a factor NCL may be around next year. Otherwise NCL will go bankrupt. NCL and Carnival are in great danger.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 3

Who in their right mind would spend even $1 on a cruise reservation right now?   I booked a cruise next January but only used my cruise next certificates since I would never get anything back on them.  The balance will stay there until the last possible second.  It is hard to trust these cruise lines at the moment.  I also have FCC and Insurance credit from my canceled cruise.  I wish there was a way to get my $$ back but it is what it is.  

• Like 3

This is expected.  Its also fine for them to declare bankruptcy to reorganize debt.  Happens all the time.  

NCL was a very profitable company.  Even if it takes a year for a vaccine there are golden years yet to come.  I still think its going to get worse before it gets better.  I just don't see the amount of travel it takes to take a cruise and have thousands of people crammed together on planes, buses, and cruise ships during a pandemic.  We are seriously going to quarantine ships again?
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.  IMHO if you cruise during a pandemic you should sign away your first responder rights.  I know that is harsh but why are you putting so many more at risk just because you want a vacation for yourself.  When the ship gets quarantined don't complain how poorly you are treated by the cruise line.  Don't complain how the government and hospitals don't want you.  Don't complain there is nothing to eat on the ship.  Don't complain how NCL wont refund your money.  Don't complain because you are stranded in port.

Its impossible to be with thousands of people who just traveled on planes during a pandemic and not expect several people to infect the ship.  That's not negative.  That is reality.  Cruise lines just took a beating online for discounting the pandemic and encouraging people to cruise. Now we want to go down this road again?

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 9

53 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

And it begins...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

FCC......well as PT Barnum said there is a __born every minute.

To be honest I'd possibly risk it (taking into account the 'bonuses' offered) as we were fortunately only a few $K in the hole but as my wife's career future looks shaky (to say the least as she's a dentist with Type 1 diabetes and thus one of the last likely to return to work) we'll be holding on for our refund as the future may not be too rosy. 

8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Don’t count on it. If there is some combination of vaccine, treatment, herd immunity that makes the virus not a factor NCL may be around next year. Otherwise NCL will go bankrupt. NCL and Carnival are in great danger.

Well that didn't take long for the negativity 🙂  I guess the glass if half empty for you.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Every business is in great danger right now.  No one is immune to the financial repercussions of this pandemic.  The fact that they got a 2 billion plus influx of cash in less than 24 hours tells me that some really smart people, with a lot of money see a bright future for NCL and the cruise industry as a whole.

I said this from the beginning and I will say it again today.  The American appetite for cruising is too great for the major cruise lines to just vanish.  They will get through this like we all will, just have to make some tough business decisions in order to do so.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, julian30 said:

To be honest I'd possibly risk it (taking into account the 'bonuses' offered) as we were fortunately only a few $K in the hole but as my wife's career future looks shaky (to say the least as she's a dentist with Type 1 diabetes and thus one of the last likely to return to work) we'll be holding on for our refund as the future may not be too rosy. 

Bonuses? The 25% bonuses don’t even cover the huge price hikes for next year of 30-40% ..... You must not watch cruise prices that much. They are just blowing smoke with the FCC bonus. My Encore cruise for next April for four was $3895 for me. Now it is $6100 ........ and that is common on a lot of sailings for next year. I wouldn’t give them a dime right now. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, julian30 said:

Excellent news, might be worth considering a FCC now we know they should survive..... 

well we did, we used it to pay for our October 2020 TA however that may not happen, so we will see what happens 🙂

Edited by spanishguy1970

1 hour ago, TSUmom said:

This is good news

It is good news, but not great news.  Considering that I read an article where NCL stated the cost to keep their ships afloat during the pandemic was something like $500mm a month.  This cash infusion would only cover 4 months or so, not taking into account any customer cruise deposit returns from cancellations.

4 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

It is good news, but not great news.  Considering that I read an article where NCL stated the cost to keep their ships afloat during the pandemic was something like $500mm a month.  This cash infusion would only cover 4 months or so, not taking into account any customer cruise deposit returns from cancellations.

100 + million a month, it’s in the OP’s attached article. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1

I am certain that everyone wants NCL to survive, me included , regardless of the caution or negativity. I wonder how much money is left to refund to customers based on cruises already cancelled, future cruises that will will be cancelled, and individual cancellations beyond this year into 2021. How much of that 2 billion will go back to customers owed and how much will be left really for daily operations. They desperately need cash to come in for new bookings/sailings whenever that may start. 

6 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

100 + million a month, it’s in the OP’s attached article. 

Thanks for the updated numbers.  I wasn't able to read the article and the number I quoted was from a couple weeks ago and was approximate.  I know Carnival was $900mm per month.  NCL must have made significant changes.  thank you.

2 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

Thanks for posting the link.

Actually all this was known from yesterday's SEC filings...it's just that many...maybe most posters didn't understand what the SEC filings meant and focused on the essentially boilerplate wording of "substantial doubt about the Company's ability to continue as a going concern". Unfortunately many of yesterday's press reports must have been written by reporters who probably have 10 minutes of financial reporting experience  because they clearly didn't know what they were talking about either.

This article's simple and straightforward explanation about what actually occurred is much needed.

• Like 2

I'd have a lot more respect for their plight if it wasn't for the fact that I just got yet another email exciting announcement that their promo package for the cruises have been extended for another short time.  And then they advertise Western Caribbean and Alaska for cruising on July 5th and July 6th, along with many more.    That is attempting to steal the unsuspecting' money.  They need to get their act together and quit selling non existing merchandise.  

• Like 2