Unethical if they postpone again

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Anyone booking a cruise for June is doing so with the full intention of 125% FCC coming their way or utilizing the L & S program.  Royal knows that and they'll take the money as low interest loan. Some people are getting better deals than they otherwise would.  It's a win win situation for both parties.  If anyone is sufficiently far enough down the evolutionary timeline to actually believe that they will be cruising in mid June and come to CC complaining I expect them to be thoroughly scorched and they will run off with their tail between the legs.

I continue to RC lots of slack.  Commerce is still a voluntary exercise. 

Exactly, this afternoon I booked a Harmony OV balcony for June 2020 at a price of $78 PP/PD, immediately shifted it to July 2021 on Symphony. Had I booked Symphony 2021 directly it would have cost $285 PP/PD. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Exactly, this afternoon I booked a Harmony OV balcony for June 2020 at a price of $78 PP/PD, immediately shifted it to July 2021 on Symphony. Had I booked Symphony 2021 directly it would have cost $285 PP/PD. 

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!  Hmmmm.

Did you pay the entire cruise or just the deposit?

Edited by soremekun

45 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

NCL CEO said reopening timeline is not up to the cruise lines but rather it is the decision of CDC & the U.S. Coast Guard.

I just read that he doesn't expect to sail until 2020 according to People magazine website.

28 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I did the same thing this morning. Booked an August 2020 cruise and less than 2 hours later lift and shifted it to next summer.

Saved over $12,000 on the 2 cabins by booking with August 2020 prices.  

Only thing I have invested is the deposit which is less than what the insurance would cost.  A cost I am willing to gamble. I couldn't pass up a Crown Loft for a little over 5K and a 2 bedroom GS for a little over 6K. 6 people, 2 sky suites, a little less than 2K a person.

Edited by cured
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I tried to do that last week and was told that I had to wait at least 24 hours after booking to change it  they said since they have a 24 hour cancellation period they could not switch it that day.

Edited by molly361

24 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

I just read that he doesn't expect to sail until 2020 according to People magazine website.

Excellent! This is 2020 so I'm hoping August 2020. 🙂

5 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I tried to do that last week and was told that I had to wait at least 24 hours after booking to change it  they said since they have a 24 hour cancellation period they could not switch it that day.

Like many things RCI there appears to be another inconsistency. I'm surprised it's even allowed. I'd also think that if you booked a cruise for June....as posted above...you'd have to pay it in full at booking. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

1 minute ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Like many things RCI there appears to be another inconsistency. I'm surprised it's even allowed. I'd also think that if you booked a cruise for June....as posted above...you'd have to pay it in full at booking. 

I was surprised as well but now I am thinking that they want you to do that.  If not they would have stated that you could only L&S bookings that were made prior to May 6 instead of having it read bookings made before August 1.  There are some great prices now for OA class ships and some not so great prices for the same time period next year

I think this shows how important the current cash flow is to Royal willing to take such a beating for the S&L. I just wonder how many of these bookings might be required to sail with less capacity. Will these same people be back here to complain if their cabin is one of the ones that are required to leave open?  Royal will just refund your money or FCC. And since booked at a less rate, will be the first to go. 

Pure speculation on my part. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Will these same people be back here to complain if their cabin is one of the ones that are required to leave open?

RCI has some practice with bumping some people off a sailing and I imagine some August/Sept sailings, if they happen, may need some bumping. If that happens, it will be an interesting thread(s).

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, molly361 said:

The must have removed that condition.

I also booked August 2020 this morning, 2 hours later I lifted and shifted it to summer 2021.  I had called for something else and it was actually the CSR who suggested that we just go ahead and lift and shift today instead of waiting till tomorrow or later.

29 minutes ago, cured said:

The must have removed that condition.

I also booked August 2020 this morning, 2 hours later I lifted and shifted it to summer 2021.  I had called for something else and it was actually the CSR who suggested that we just go ahead and lift and shift today instead of waiting till tomorrow or later.

Sad part is after an hour on hold when they came back and told me it had to be 24 hours they told me that they would automatically L&S it the next day.  Even told me don't look online until tomorrow as it won't change until then.  Well guess what, it never happened.  Luckily yesterday when I called the rep told me that there was only a 15 minute wait so she did it for me .

7 hours ago, tlbutler33 said:

Just my opinion, but I think it is unethical of RC to still be selling bookings for June cruises when we all know there is no way they will sail. 30 days out from their tentative 6/12 restart and no announcements. How can a company expect people to change plans and bookings with that sort of notice, especially when every other cruise company in the world has already pushed out and came up with legit restart plans weeks ago.

Totally agree - but in short its all to help their cash flow. Get they cash in & hopefully persuade cruisers to take FCC & if not string the refunds out as long as they can

I took a chance and booked 11 night Hawaii sailing 5/5/2021. On 5/7 the price I paid for guarantee balcony was 2211.00 pp. Today it is 3334.00 pp. My hope is that waiting a year before  sailing is enough, but I will be watching closely. I have an alternate booked on NCL for 9/18/2021, if there is still a problem then, my cruising days will be over.

7 hours ago, tlbutler33 said:

Just my opinion, but I think it is unethical of RC to still be selling bookings for June cruises when we all know there is no way they will sail. 30 days out from their tentative 6/12 restart and no announcements. How can a company expect people to change plans and bookings with that sort of notice, especially when every other cruise company in the world has already pushed out and came up with legit restart plans weeks ago.

EXACTLY. We're in that same boat (no pun intended). Sitting on this until May 15th for EU to announce any extension on bans of anyone coming into Europe, then there's the Port of Amsterdam's so-called "indefinite" cancellation on ALL cruises, then we have to wait wait wait....still have NOT bought flights. Do we wait or do we just book flights while they're "reasonable" at best??

14 minutes ago, johnjen said:

EXACTLY. We're in that same boat (no pun intended). Sitting on this until May 15th for EU to announce any extension on bans of anyone coming into Europe, then there's the Port of Amsterdam's so-called "indefinite" cancellation on ALL cruises, then we have to wait wait wait....still have NOT bought flights. Do we wait or do we just book flights while they're "reasonable" at best??

Why would you even think about booking air.  Would you really go even if in a one in a million long-shot they sailed.  You can still cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and chances are that Royal will cancel and if they don't you can get a 100% FCC.  I know you want a refund but if they sail then that is not an option so the FCC would be your only choice unless of course you would actually sail.

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Why would you even think about booking air.  Would you really go even if in a one in a million long-shot they sailed.  You can still cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and chances are that Royal will cancel and if they don't you can get a 100% FCC.  I know you want a refund but if they sail then that is not an option so the FCC would be your only choice unless of course you would actually sail.

Here's the reason I am thinking air. Tickets right now seem reasonable. Come the 15th this week, if EU announces air traffic OPEN, those prices WILL go up. I called Royal, right now they have NO INTENTION of cancelling. But I see your point because the odds are slim. Screw that "FCC" crap because it is NOT worth it as FCC'ers are already noticing their "new" cruise prices have JACKED UP BEYOND 125% of what they've paid on their originally booked cruise.

Edited by johnjen

4 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Here's the reason I am thinking air. Tickets right now seem reasonable. Come the 15th this week, if EU announces air traffic OPEN, those prices WILL go up. I called Royal, right now they have NO INTENTION of cancelling. But I see your point because the odds are slim. Screw that "FCC" crap because it is NOT worth it as FCC'ers are already noticing their "new" cruise prices have JACKED UP BEYOND 125% of what they've paid on their originally booked cruise.

Maybe just me but I would still choose the FCC over flying and cruising 30 days from now.

As far as being told "no intention"..what else would you expect a front line rep to tell you.  They are in the dark as much a=if not more than we are.

If you buy the flights then Royal cancels then you are stuck with air credits

• Like 1

I think a lot of real future cruises have the prices jacked up since they were offering 125%  refund for future credit.  I was looking at transatlantic for next year and they price looked OK if you let them pick the room 400 bucks more PP if you pick the room.

We will probably skip cruising for a year or so until things quiet down.  They are sending ships to different ports to get the crews home.  How quick does anyone think they will be getting the crews back.  Unfortunately many crew members will not have any choice but to come back due to labor conditions in the countries where they live.  But the first world people they had employees might very well decide it is not worth it.   Before it gave them a chance to see the world and make a little money.  Being trapped on a cruise ship with nothing to do, or stuck in a room changed the outlook.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Maybe just me but I would still choose the FCC over flying and cruising 30 days from now.

As far as being told "no intention"..what else would you expect a front line rep to tell you.  They are in the dark as much a=if not more than we are.

If Air2Sea refundable is available that might be an option and would be refunded if cruise was cancelled. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not true. She told me I'd get my money back if I go refundable vs. non-refundable. That's from ChoiceAir/RCL.

Edited by johnjen