Carnival lido buffet-what FOOD items add or delete

geckoaz

5 hours ago, MzOhioLady said:

I would like to see the Eggs (Powder, Etc.) Carnival currently uses for Scrambled Eggs at the Buffet go Bye-Bye!!

Actually they are not powdered. They are liquid pasteurized eggs. Regardless, I don't care for eggs that have been sitting out on a steam table.

I don’t think they will add or remove anything.  They have bid contracts for buying all there food items.   Things will just be plated and served.  No help yourself.  Actually help yourself could be just done for forever 

I would like to see a grill station added. Other lines have them.  Steak, pork chops, chicken, shrimp, veggies, the list in endless. I know these are more expensive items. Maybe a small upcharge for a good quality steak.  At any rate, I definitely would love to see all self service go away.  It has to be more sanitary.   

• Like 1

Please add rice pudding! 😀 I know this sounds bonkers, but it's a bit of an old-timey New York City diner thing.  As an old timey (well, 48 year old) New Yorker living in California, it's always delightful when I find it on a ship.  Princess had it on the buffet when I sailed with them, and I had a fair few bowls! 

I'm guessing that the Lidos are going to look a bit like Ikea cafeterias in the future, where there are glass cabinets you open to take out ready-plated food items and stations where you line up to point at what you want the servers to put on your plate.  That's fine by me, especially if they have tissues to use when you open up the cabinets.

I am not sure what buffets will be like in the future on ships or elsewhere, but putting aside the current situation and the likely changes in the future, I will say that I always have enjoyed the buffets in the past.  I loved the salad bar, and the continental breakfast section in the am among other things.   I really missed the Tandoor station when they took them away, so I would say add a few curries and other Indian foods on the buffet, even if it means they are served by staff.  I have no problem with that concept.  More curry, more vegetarian dishes in general.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I know my husband would appreciate it if they would add mashed potatoes and gravy.  I would like more pasta dishes.

That’s one thing I love about the Windjammer on RCI...Mashed potatoes, lunch and dinner, and they are delish!

• Like 2

Amen on the Indian food and vegetarian options. Another great things about having servers us that non vegetarians are always putting meat utensils in the vegetarian food. So disgusting. Use the specific utensil for the item you want! People are really lazy and inconsiderate.

• Like 3

I know a lot of you will disagree, but I would like them to get rid of the new cakes for lunch. The icing is like Crisco or lard and they are devoid of flavor. Maybe keep two or three cake choices, but on my last Journeys cruise (14 day) that was virtually all they had for dessert. I really missed Key Lime pie, and other old items. 

I think the way Holland does the buffet was great. They served you your food, made you a salad, brought drinks to your table, etc.

• Like 1

Warm donuts in the morning.  There are donut machines that crank out small hot donuts similar to one set up at central Florida's water parks, and I have had the same donuts from a little shop on the Belize waterfront and at an apple store in Vermont (hot cider donuts,yum).

• Like 4

22 hours ago, madamerkf said:

I love the Indian food on the splendor. As well as the BBQ on the Sunshine. Those should be standard on every ship. 

I get some indian food on every ship and line i have been on. Always indian chefs onboard happy to get you some.  I think the crew eats it often.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

That’s one thing I love about the Windjammer on RCI...Mashed potatoes, lunch and dinner, and they are delish!

RCI has a much better buffet than Carnival or Norwegian.  Carnival has Guy's, Blue Iguana, and the deli, but I really wish their buffet was as good as Royal's.

• Like 2

If buffets were as bad as some people are trying to make them out to be, there wouldn't be millions of them across the country. You act as if this virus is the first contagion we've ever had to contend with. Some of us enjoy them and aren't afraid of them. If you don't like buffets, then instead of insisting they be eliminated, just don't go. Cancel culture comes to cruising.

I like the grill station RoperDK mentioned. But how does it work on those other lines? Wouldn't that make for a very long line because of the wait to grill everything?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

If buffets were as bad as some people are trying to make them out to be, there wouldn't be millions of them across the country. You act as if this virus is the first contagion we've ever had to contend with. Some of us enjoy them and aren't afraid of them. If you don't like buffets, then instead of insisting they be eliminated, just don't go. Cancel culture comes to cruising.

I like the grill station RoperDK mentioned. But how does it work on those other lines? Wouldn't that make for a very long line because of the wait to grill everything?

I've found that the longest wait lines for buffet food are on Carnival. Oftentimes 40 or 50 pax lined up on either side of the main buffet displays.

Other lines like NCL, RCCL, Disney and Celebrity have small stations with maybe 6 or 10 pax circling round getting food items and then moving on to the next station.  

The grill stations can start to have some items already cooked and placed in warmers so the wait isn't as bad as imagined above.  Similar to what Carnival does at their sandwich shop, e.g.  With enough activity, the items in the warmers go as fast as they can grill new ones, so they don't get dried out.

The idea to eliminate buffets is not a matter of disliking them.  It is an idea to promote a healthier cruise experience for the sailing public.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, evandbob said:

I've found that the longest wait lines for buffet food are on Carnival. Oftentimes 40 or 50 pax lined up on either side of the main buffet displays.

Other lines like NCL, RCCL, Disney and Celebrity have small stations with maybe 6 or 10 pax circling round getting food items and then moving on to the next station.  

The grill stations can start to have some items already cooked and placed in warmers so the wait isn't as bad as imagined above.  Similar to what Carnival does at their sandwich shop, e.g.  With enough activity, the items in the warmers go as fast as they can grill new ones, so they don't get dried out.

The idea to eliminate buffets is not a matter of disliking them.  It is an idea to promote a healthier cruise experience for the sailing public.

The Panorama on Carnival has stations set up in their buffet areas that are similar to Royal.  It makes getting food so much faster.  Gone are the long lines.  Even getting bacon in the morning, you can just walk up to a bacon station and get it.  You don't have to stand in a long line just to get one or two things.  The stations are definitely a better setup. 

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

Totally agree with this.   Buffet lines on RCCL move much quicker because they've transitioned to several smaller island stations instead of one long one.

• Like 1

Delete from Buffet:

For DH, he votes with the stop adding peppers & onions to everything idea. 
I despise peppers too, they make everything taste like peppers. 

Make hand sanitizing upon entry to any food venue mandatory. 
So since COVID 19,  remove anything self serve and change to preplated or prebowled in kitchen, 
line them up in the ice or on cooled or safe touch heated tables. 

Add to Buffet:

How about putting back the food?!  

On our last 2 cruises, the buffet had very few choices & most of the serving areas sat empty. 
The carving station was a joke with a small very fatty “roast/meat“  & highly pimpled guys cutting mere slivers of meat

and trying hard to make you feel unwelcome to actually get a real slice of meat. Not Cool At All.  

We do not consider 3 choices a buffet, it was really disappointing. 
It looked so cheap & unappetizing with such meager Offerings. 
Yes to more pasta. There was usually baked potatoes & white rice every day. Pasta of 1 type once or twice. Really?! 
We’re on vacation, we want pasta choices, everyday!!! Lol 

The new ships do have food stations in buffet. Worked well for guest flow. 

Edited by silvercrikhix
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ladychater said:

Amen on the Indian food and vegetarian options. Another great things about having servers us that non vegetarians are always putting meat utensils in the vegetarian food. So disgusting. Use the specific utensil for the item you want! People are really lazy and inconsiderate.

Yes, Yes, and Yes again to more vegetarian options.

And the Indian options are generally very interesting.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

RCI has a much better buffet than Carnival or Norwegian.  Carnival has Guy's, Blue Iguana, and the deli, but I really wish their buffet was as good as Royal's.

I totally agree.   We have been on one RCI  cruise and were pleasantly surprised by how good the food was on their buffet and how long they had it open on port days for lunch.  They had more substantial fare  than Carnival in addition to burgers and such.   I did not care for their MDR though for dinner.  After two evenings in their MDR, we ate on Lido for dinner or in their steakhouse.  Carnival is our favorite cruise line.  Just gotta give RCI it's due for lunch.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

The Panorama on Carnival has stations set up in their buffet areas that are similar to Royal.  It makes getting food so much faster.  Gone are the long lines.  Even getting bacon in the morning, you can just walk up to a bacon station and get it.  You don't have to stand in a long line just to get one or two things.  The stations are definitely a better setup. 

Is it the same as it is on the Horizon & Vista, or did they change it again? On the Horizon, even on port day mornings when everyone was getting breakfast at the same time in a hurry to get off the ship, lines were minimal compared to the traditional buffet lines on others ships. A majority of the cruise, I walked right up and got what I wanted for breakfast without waiting. So nice.

• Like 1