Would you cruise if Wearing a mask is mandatory?

Would you cruise if wearing a mask is Mandatory?  

711 members have voted

1. 1. Will you cruise if wearing a mask is mandatory?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

still no deal, false protection. 'everybody wear a mask' assumes the asymptomatic is cranking out bigger droplet particles. i can't guarantee i will only breathe/talk/sneeze out droplet sizes as i wear a cheap mask. this test was aerosol size blowing thru the filter. aerosol size punch right thru, float in the room for hours and get sucked thru the next mask.  people can feel good about wearing a cheap mask but size gets in the way. since you cant see the size of particles,N(IOSH)95 is near guaranteed safety. i might try 2 cruises in next several months but I will cancel if forced into a palliative policy. i didnt fear going on the 'poop ship triumph' after it was cleaned up(no problems). wear a mask if you want but go big, n95. now you are protected from my droplets and aeosols in your lungs. since this thing mostly hits the old and immune compromised with few 'previously healthy' deaths, im willing to take my chances and keep life normal. 

NIOSH article...the most recent randomized controlled study51 combined with evidence of moderate filter efficiency and complete lack of facepiece fit lead us to conclude that surgical masks offer very low levels of protection for the wearer from aerosol inhalation. There may be some protection from droplets and liquids propelled directly onto the mask, but a faceshield would be a better choice if this is a concern. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 2:38 PM, BirdTravels said:

Masks like those above are intended to prevent you from spreading your germs to others. They are not to protect you from the virus. So, they should not provide anyone with any sense of security; they are not there to protect them. 

If it keeps my germs to myself,  and you wear one, it keeps your germs to yourself..   that and some distance protects both of us.  common sense.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Wyomingred said:

My husband and I are vehemently opposed to wearing masks.  We worked through the entire shut down, with the public, NO ONE wore masks and NO ONE got sick.  I don't know why there were hot spots for the virus, but we had 7 deaths in our state.  To demand everyone to wear a mask is unnecessary and proven more detrimental to your health.  If you must or just want to wear a mask, no one is stopping you.  But it should not and eventually (hopefully very soon) will not be mandated.  It cannot be sustained as the "new normal".  Yes, it would most definitely be a deal breaker for us.  We will not pay for a cruise and be required to wear a mask at any time.  It's a sad state of affairs because we love to cruise.  We will find other ways to vacation without a mask, or wait for this insanity to pass.  Probably will by at least this November.

Said the person in the least populated state.

• Like 3

On 5/23/2020 at 10:38 AM, johnjen said:

I'm not against mask wearing, but I see potential for this being a legal disaster, HIPAA violations where someone asks for specific reasons they can't wear one, etc. There's this card floating around online, a vague attempt trying to make it appear official, when it isn't...and, if you catch the error in it, say what it is, LOL

mask rule.jpg

Some one presents that to me at my company I would suggest to them that they can go some where else.  We are a private business and distancing is impossible.  Masks are required to walk in the door.. You have a choice to not be there. 

• Like 1

There really is no need to debate this issue anymore. The issue will be resolved for us in the next two weeks by looking at the numbers in many of the most highly infected cities in the country.  If...after what we have seen in the streets, in the parks, in the looted shops...there is no related surge of COVID...then we can be reasonably certain that younger people, at the least, can go back to work, to church, to restaurants, etc...without social distancing, without fear of COVID.

That is, if there are any workplaces, churches and restaurants still standing where they live.

• Like 6

There really is no need to debate this issue anymore. The issue will be resolved for us in the next two weeks by looking at the numbers in many of the most highly infected cities in the country.  If...after what we have seen in the streets, in the parks, in the looted shops...there is no related surge of COVID...then we can be reasonably certain that younger people, at the least, can go back to work, to church, to restaurants, etc...without social distancing, without fear of COVID.

That is, if there are any workplaces, churches and restaurants still standing where they live.

I totally agree. If one good thing comes out of some of the tragedies that happened over the weekend it may be that we realize we no longer need to wear masks and can go back to normal.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, npcl said:

The purpose of the mask is to disrupt air flow (slow it down) when that person is breathing, talking, coughing, sneezing or anything else that results in virus being expelled.  

In other words.... if the person is living.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Said the person in the least populated state.

Yes, we in the lesser populated states have seen less Covid. We are also seeing peaceful non violent demonstrations....the kind that inspire people to care for one another.

My older daughter drove thru her downtown area here in SC this weekend.  Some demonstrators of all skin hues were holding signs...and waving at people of all skin hues in their cars...who were honking horns and waving back. There has been no looting, no property destruction. She said there was just a nice feeling of a community standing together. ❤️

She visited a local restaurant...very popular and every allowed seat taken. People of all races together, happy to be out in public together again. Just nice friendly people out on a pretty day...

Edited by hazence
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, hazence said:

Yes, we in the lesser populated states have seen less Covid. We are also seeing peaceful non violent demonstrations....the kind that inspire people to care for one another.

My older daughter drove thru her downtown area here in SC this weekend.  Some demonstrators of all skin hues were holding signs...and waving at people of all skin hues in their cars...who were honking horns and waving back. There has been no looting, no property destruction. She said there was just a nice feeling of a community standing together. ❤️

She visited a local restaurant...very popular and every allowed seat taken. People of all races together, happy to be out in public together again. Just nice friendly people out on a pretty day...

Unfortunately there are violent protests in both highly populated and less populated areas.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Unfortunately there are violent protests in both highly populated and less populated areas.

no.  Even the big city...largest in the state near me...has seen no violence or looting. Please stop generalizing. Read local newspapers.

Edited by hazence

19 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

No mask, no social distancing.  Just cruise!  If we can't do that, then no go.

I think that pretty much sums it up.  We can debate whether or not masks do or do not work all day long, but based on the survey above, if RCL or any cruise line for that matter requires masks, they will have a rough time getting people on board...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, hazence said:

no.  Even the big city...largest in the state near me...has seen no violence or looting. Please stop generalizing. Read local newspapers.

I'm not talking about your magical state.  I'm talking about other places.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, hazence said:

I don’t think @time4u2go was referencing your State and Zip Code.  It was a general comment, IMO. Florida has some issues in Miami and Tampa/St Pete. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hazence said:

You might want to take a look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_George_Floyd_protests#South_Carolina

Charleston: The city issued a curfew after protests resulted in vandalism of public property and statues and some protesters threw rocks at police and citizens. Additionally, several businesses and restaurants had glass windows busted. Two men wearing MAGA hats were assaulted. At one point, police in riot gear used tear gas to stall protesters. Protesters halted traffic on Interstate-26.

Columbia: On May 30, 2020, protesters marched from the South Carolina Statehouse to the city of Columbia police station. Several businesses and restaurants in the nearby business district were vandalized. Mayor Stephen K. Benjamin announced a mandatory 6 p.m. curfew for the city. Four police officers were injured, one critically. Later that night shots were fired at police, and the shooters were arrested. The officers did not return fire. The follow day, a group of 200 protesters formed in Marion Square.

Greenville: On May 30, two protests were held at Peace Center and Falls Park. Not affiliated with Black Lives Matter, the first event was attended by Mayor Knox White. About 300 people marched at the second protest, some arrests were made.

Myrtle Beach: Dozens of protesters attended a rally downtown on the morning of May 31. Protesters initially blocked the entrance to the Myrtle Beach Police Station in what felt like a "standoff" but when officers joined in and the Chief addressed the crowd cheered. Mayor Brenda Bethune declared a civil emergency due to a "credible threat" against police related to the protest. A curfew was set to start at 7pm May 31.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I'm not talking about your magical state.  I'm talking about other places.

Yes...big cities like Miami and Tampa. My comment referred to the peaceful demonstrations without looting or violence that are occurring in many other smaller cities. But there are commonalities among many of these big cities that sneer at us rubes...who, now it might seem...get along much better with our own diverse neighbors. 

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Charleston: The city issued a curfew after protests resulted in vandalism of public property and statues and some protesters threw rocks at police and citizens. Additionally, several businesses and restaurants had glass windows busted. Two men wearing MAGA hats were assaulted. At one point, police in riot gear used tear gas to stall protesters. Protesters halted traffic on Interstate-26.

Columbia: On May 30, 2020, protesters marched from the South Carolina Statehouse to the city of Columbia police station. Several businesses and restaurants in the nearby business district were vandalized. Mayor Stephen K. Benjamin announced a mandatory 6 p.m. curfew for the city. Four police officers were injured, one critically. Later that night shots were fired at police, and the shooters were arrested. The officers did not return fire. The follow day, a group of 200 protesters formed in Marion Square.

Greenville: On May 30, two protests were held at Peace Center and Falls Park. Not affiliated with Black Lives Matter, the first event was attended by Mayor Knox White. About 300 people marched at the second protest, some arrests were made.

Myrtle Beach: Dozens of protesters attended a rally downtown on the morning of May 31. Protesters initially blocked the entrance to the Myrtle Beach Police Station in what felt like a "standoff" but when officers joined in and the Chief addressed the crowd cheered. Mayor Brenda Bethune declared a civil emergency due to a "credible threat" against police related to the protest. A curfew was set to start at 7pm May 31.

You made my point. Except for the incident on Columbia...no looting, no burning. Would you be afraid to come to Charleston toboard a ship now...or prefer to fly into Newark and spend the night in a motel there.

Off to water aerobics. 😊

Edited by hazence

12 minutes ago, hazence said:

You made my point. Except for the incident on Columbia...no looting, no burning. Would you be afraid to come to Charleston toboard a ship now...or prefer to fly into Newark and spend the night in a motel there.

Off to water aerobics. 😊

You might want to check out those local websites yourself. 

Regarding Charleston:

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/charleston-protests-turn-violent-overnight-after-day-of-peaceful-demonstrations/article_44fb1f36-a1d7-11ea-802f-133d005d113c.html

Regarding Greenville:

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2020/06/01/george-floyd-protest-greenville-sc-ends-tension-tear-gas-arrests/5305987002/

Columbia had vandalism and shootings.   

You said "Even the big city...largest in the state near me...has seen no violence or looting."  Not sure what your definition of violence is.

And I liked your statement basically saying, "Except for the place where there was violence, there was no violence." 😁

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I think she meant her living under the dome and zip code. I interpreted as her State as well but as you showed, there was a problem in SC as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hazence said:

Many smashed windows on King Street in Charleston. That's violent if you ask me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1