Banquet Or Buffet Style???

jetsfan58

2 hours ago, coevan said:

Joe, I had a cook who worked there, which is why I would never eat there. Mostly everything is heat and serve out of cans or bags. when a restaurant puts an ad in the paper saying hiring cooks, no experience necessary, that scares me. Although he did say they were clean. We are just not buffet people, we go out to eat to be served.

Coevan, I appreciate your comments and insight. I may have to rethink that. For the record, my wife won't step foot in there. 

• Like 1

I didn’t have time to read the all these posts, but my suggestion and would like implemented, less buffet variety, or different ethnic style each day. Less selections, less crowds and more empty tables to ensure some distancing. If people really hungry, there’s always the MDR. Selective buffets can remain open most of the day with neutral food choices.

The theatre would need to show more viewings of those specialty shows instead of one SRO. Scatter them thru the week or show multiple times during the day.

could be more, but I think mega ships are fine when there’s less passengers.

Cruise Critic members good evening and Happy Sunday. I wanted to input another segment of this discussion that is also critical to our future cruising safety.

We are talking each day more about and are sincerely concerned about the Corona virus outbreak in this Country. However, I would like to engage the audience in another discussion that also needs to be seriously contemplated. When the Federal Government, CDC, Destination Ports and the Cruise Lines are contemplating getting us back to safely cruising let's not forget about "Norovirus". 

Should/Will the safety measures need to cover both Covid 19 and Norovirus?  We certainly can't forget the ill effects of Norovirus as it pertains to sporadic Cruise Ship outbreaks. 

Let's Start The Conversation!!!!     

2 hours ago, nemesees said:

If people really hungry, there’s always the MDR.

not for lunch and closes way to early for breakfast, nice if they were open until 10 or 11 like most breakfast places. We are on vacation and will not set an alarm for breakfast

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Cruise Critic members good evening and Happy Sunday. I wanted to input another segment of this discussion that is also critical to our future cruising safety.

We are talking each day more about and are sincerely concerned about the Corona virus outbreak in this Country. However, I would like to engage the audience in another discussion that also needs to be seriously contemplated. When the Federal Government, CDC, Destination Ports and the Cruise Lines are contemplating getting us back to safely cruising let's not forget about "Norovirus". 

Should/Will the safety measures need to cover both Covid 19 and Norovirus?  We certainly can't forget the ill effects of Norovirus as it pertains to sporadic Cruise Ship outbreaks. 

Let's Start The Conversation!!!!     

Definitely. I use Zoono hand sanitizer, which is a 24 hour foam sanitizer that is not alcohol based, and is the only OTC hand sanitizer effective in killing Norovirus. I also use the alcohol based sanitizer frequently, any time I touch anything on a cruise ship. I’ve done this long before COVID. 

On 5/23/2020 at 1:45 PM, Joe817 said:

Buffet, of course. OTOH,  what is Furr's Cafeteria, or Luby's? 

All about the same as cruise line buffet, some will go BK and some will morph to something more sanitary, there is a desire by some for the smorgsborg all you can eat, and why US leads the world in obesity. 

I have to admit I have done Golden and Furrs and for the rest of the week put in a few extra sets and miles exercising that stuff off, LOL

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, coevan said:

not for lunch and closes way to early for breakfast, nice if they were open until 10 or 11 like most breakfast places. We are on vacation and will not set an alarm for breakfast

They made the buffet for you, 🙂

2 hours ago, coevan said:

I can’t remember too well, but was Carnival Pride still having lunch in MDR around 2010?
I know back in 1982 they had full course breakfast, lunch and dinner in the MDR.

they stopped that (penny pinching) But maybe they should rethink this whole thing at least until everyone’s fears diminish.

One of the real issues has always been restroom hygiene. Unwashed hands remain a real cruise life issue. I realize that it is illegal to put camera's in restrooms. With this new Covid 19 issue and as an additional measure to ensure Buffet or Banquet safety; should Carnival place additional emphasis on the restroom "clean" hands policy? 

On 5/22/2020 at 2:05 PM, coevan said:

opening the MDR for lunch again would ease the Lido deck lines. We loved the sit down MDR lunch

On 5/22/2020 at 2:07 PM, Joe817 said:

I would LOVE to have a sit down lunch in the MDR. 

Embarkation day on NCL....sea days on RCI

If people are familiar with the new "cake station" on the newer builds that have servers serve you that is how the entire buffet area could become.  Omelette stations,  Blue Iguana and Guy's Burgers  would basically be the same as well since they are not self serve.

The self serve toppings bar at Guy's and Iguana would need major modifications.

On 5/22/2020 at 4:51 PM, ninjacat123 said:

I'm thinking that it will be a vaccine like the ones available at the beginning of flu season at drug stores, grocery stores etc for a nominal charge. 

Agreed, if you can shell out $1500-$2000 per couple, I do not think an extra 10-15 bucks will deter many from cruising. They just dolled out over 2 trillion dollars for a stimulus package. Having a healthy country (without a fear of the virus), will do more to restore the economy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coevan said:

what will they do for next 12-18 months it takes to actually have a vaccine, not some "aspirational" date. Long time to think about cruising and vaccines.

You may be right...or you may be wrong. We don't know what we don't know. 

15 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

If people are familiar with the new "cake station" on the newer builds that have servers serve you that is how the entire buffet area could become.  Omelette stations,  Blue Iguana and Guy's Burgers  would basically be the same as well since they are not self serve.

The self serve toppings bar at Guy's and Iguana would need major modifications.

I think they will be gone, initially at least 

On 5/23/2020 at 8:54 AM, jetsfan58 said:

Grandmannurse good morning. I really don't think it's a choice whether to have insurance or not. The choice is rather to feed, clothe and provide essentials for your family each month. Are we to assume that hard working poor people are not due a vacation? They have as much right to sail as the rest of us. However their current financial situation deems that they can't save enough to vacation, buy insurance and survive at the same time. I would bet given a choice they would choose to continue to work, desire a living wage for their work and take a well deserved vacation at least sometimes. Actually the majority of the major programs that assisted many of our less fortunate citizens have somehow lately magically disappeared.    

Its a matter of priority-

if you can't pay for insurance/vaccine first, then you take a less expensive, or no vacation. And yes, I have been in that situation myself many years ago.

It is not at all unreasonable for the vaccine, when available, to be a requirement. That person's action (or inaction) of not having a vaccine greatly affects the health of all other passengers and the crew.

Just look at what happened recently in some areas when people chose to stop doctors from giving their kids the measles vaccine..

Hopefully, the pharma companies will be true to their word and will provide the Covid 19 vaccine on a not for profit basis...

• Like 1