Do you need to clear customs on a closed loop cruise?

snr1293

When you are going on a closed loop cruise, do you need to clear customs/border patrol when returning to the same port after the cruise is finished?

My husband isn’t a US Citizen, but his green card application is processing. He has an Advanced Parole Travel Authorization document, but we learned that if we leave the country he could be denied re-entry. I was wondering how customs work when you return on a closed loop cruise to the same port. Do they check your passport/visa as you exit the ship, or only when you board the ship? Does it matter if you leave the country or not? 

We are wanting to plan a Hawaii cruise for Christmas/New Years, and it wouldn’t leave the country, it would just stop at different Hawaiian islands. Would he need to clear customs when returning, and possibly be denied re-entry, or do they not check because you didn’t exit the country?

I have been on multiple cruises before, but it’s been 2 years and I can’t seem to remember how it works.

Thanks so much!

In OP's case where the cruise is only around the Hawaiian Islands (I'm assuming on POA) that is an entirely domestic cruise and you don't clear immigration, just like cruising up and down the Mississippi.

• Like 1

If you are considering the US Flagged PoA then you should have no customs or immigrations issues, however if planning a foreign flagged cruise from the Mainland you must visit at least 1 foreign port, so Immigration would be applicable

• Like 1

Maybe this is more complicated than commonsense, but a cruise that sails around the Hawaiian islands, starting and ending in Hawaii, and doesn't stop anywhere else, actually never leaves the US, and thus wouldn't be subject to Immigration (the far more complicated and significant issue, as illustrated by the underlying points of the OP's questions, NOT Customs) concerns. Any more than a flight from California to Hawaii, or between the Hawaiian islands.

On 5/23/2020 at 5:41 PM, Essiesmom said:

It's immigration, not customs and yes, you do.

It is both.  You are required to declare any declarable purchases.

On 5/23/2020 at 2:22 PM, snr1293 said:

We are wanting to plan a Hawaii cruise for Christmas/New Years, and it wouldn’t leave the country, it would just stop at different Hawaiian islands.

That sounds like the Pride of America.  As mentioned above, no, there is no Customs/Immigration check upon debarkation.  

22 hours ago, SRF said:

It is both.  You are required to declare any declarable purchases.

This, and it is a CBP Officer that would initially clear you (and if there were any issues that he/she couldn't resolve you'd be referred to secondary inspection). 

OP, as long as your DH is authorized to travel within the US the Hawaii itinerary wouldn't pose an issue.