How About a Cruise With No Ports for Safety

cruzsnooze

3 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Cruises are starting to offer less ports so be sure to check. Regent of the Seven seas has a port almost evry day on many cruises. Price is very expensive, however.

There are those people that treat the ship as a floating hotel that allows them to go from port to port.  There are others like myself that has cruised the Caribbean 30+ times and the ship is the destination.  As proof, our next three cruises are on the newest builds by Princess, Carnival  and Celebrity.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

So, do you believe that every person who has contracted covid-19 was coughed or sneezed on by another?

No, but the virus can stay in the air for a while and someone walking through that area can breathe it in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

No, but the virus can stay in the air for a while and someone walking through that area can breathe it in.

Yes, but the viral load will be insignificant. 

6 hours ago, caribill said:

I complete agree with you.

I was inquiring of the poster who said that only people who cough or sneeze on others need to wear masks...

I thought if we could eliminate coughing and sneezing, the entire pandemic would be solved;

and we could get back to important things like formal nights, missing tub chairs, and chair hogs...

This is another example of too much testing in texas!

"A 30-year-old man who believed the coronavirus was a hoax and attended a “Covid party” died after being infected with the virus, according to the chief medical officer at a Texas hospital."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/12/us/30-year-old-covid-party-death.html

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, it is completely possible to find two news-sources

which claim completely opposite 'facts' about many issues, including coronavirus.

I believe the politically correct jargon is this is "alternative facts", which seems like an oxymoron.

I did find this quote in your link:

"Dr Chris Smith, clinical lecturer in virology at the University of Cambridge, previously told the BBC the chances of Covid-19 transmission outside were “vanishingly small” because “the amount of dilution from fresh air is so high”.

...to be re-assuring.

Personally, I'm often out running very early in the morning.  Although I encounter few

people, the number of encounters is non-zero.

When I see other folks, I will detour, but occassionally I am overtaken by surprise.

Edited by Roberto256

2 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, it is completely possible to find two news-sources

which claim completely opposite 'facts' about many issues, including coronavirus.

I believe the politically correct jargon is this is "alternative facts", which seems like an oxymoron.

Perhaps it's just best to agree to disagree. I'm more than happy to wear a mask in an indoor environment,  but I see no point wearing one on  my daily  walk along the river bank,  with a strong breeze blowing, on the off chance that I might pass someone 20 feet away. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The article was based on the known facts at the time it was published.

But the article is two months old and more is known now about the spreading of the virus.

Can you cite a more current reference?

25 minutes ago, caribill said:

The article was based on the known facts at the time it was published.

But the article is two months old and more is known now about the spreading of the virus.

Can you cite a more current reference?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7293495/

As previously said, the science on this is developing. 

We all have our own level of risk. I am quite happy to walk in the open air, with limited people about, and am quite relaxed if they do not wear a mask . I believe my chances of being infected by walking 10 minutes behind someone else is infinitessimal.  Others may have different views. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

I did find this quote in your link:

"Dr Chris Smith, clinical lecturer in virology at the University of Cambridge, previously told the BBC the chances of Covid-19 transmission outside were “vanishingly small” because “the amount of dilution from fresh air is so high”.

...to be re-assuring.

Personally, I'm often out running very early in the morning.  Although I encounter few

people, the number of encounters is non-zero.

When I see other folks, I will detour, but occassionally I am overtaken by surprise.

From all of the literature I have read there is less chance of infection outdoors than indoors due to air movement.  However, with that said If you have people standing close together, talking with each others, especially while facing each other.  Or people close by talking loudly, there is still risk.  There have been documented instances of spread in outdoor events.  One example was a large pool party in the Ozarks on Memorial Day.  Another was a recent lake party in Texas. On the other hand several outdoor events, such as the recent protests have not shown spikes.

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2020 at 9:21 AM, Roberto256 said:

As you have requested of others, could your  post your qualifications for making your statement, please.

Or, a cv if you wish.

On 7/14/2020 at 10:28 AM, wowzz said:

So, your CV is reading a newspaper?

45 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

There is no safe place except at home.

You did hear about the recent cruises on the MSC Grandiosa in and around Italy that were successful.   Their guidelines that were put in place did what they were supposed to do and a family that was on a ship sponsored tour decided to break the bubble and explore on their own.  Because of their selfishness,  they were denied the opportunity to reboard the ship and their vacation came to an abrupt ending.

3 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Look at the example from Sturgis where a mostly  outdoor activity resulted in  11 states having  positive covid tests and one death from people who attended the event. There is no safe place except at home.

I'm all about mostly staying home and social distancing, but I do have to point out the Sturgis was a mostly crowded mostly outdoor activity. People came into close contact. All those people who attended shouldn't have done that.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Look at the example from Sturgis where a mostly  outdoor activity resulted in  11 states having  positive covid tests and one death from people who attended the event. There is no safe place except at home.

A lot of people spend a lot of time inside the bars at Sturgis.  Not sure I would refer to it as a mostly outdoor activity. Even the time spent outdoors they are often in very  close proximity, talking to others. It also appears that most were not wearing masks or making any efforts to distance.

15 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

And of course no way to calculate how many others were infected by Sturgis participants who developed Covid-19 but did not experience any symptoms.

20 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

You did hear about the recent cruises on the MSC Grandiosa in and around Italy that were successful.   Their guidelines that were put in place did what they were supposed to do and a family that was on a ship sponsored tour decided to break the bubble and explore on their own.  Because of their selfishness,  they were denied the opportunity to reboard the ship and their vacation came to an abrupt ending.

How old-fashioned ... consequences for one's actions.  

• Like 1