Will Florida cruises start back up in August?

5 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

In my mind, could be longer. 

M8

Carnival has now said 2022 to get back to a full schedule.  Meaning some stuff they are selling for 2021  won't sail.  Will be the same for all the major lines.  I can't imagine sending a cruise line any money for quite some time.  But they like the loans from people willing to do it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

I can't imagine sending a cruise line any money for quite some time.  But they like the loans from people willing to do it.

That could become a requirement for maintaining your C&A status

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

The woman who was fired by the state for refusing to alter the numbers has another website now. On it is the following note:

On June 22, 2020, Governor DeSantis announced that the AHCA would no longer report the number of occupied ICU beds as it had previously been done.

Consequently, the number of available beds shown here likely includes beds that are currently occupied, but that the DeSantis administration has determined by an un-disclosed metric could be made available by removing the person occupying it.

1 hour ago, sandebeach said:

Watching Cramer on Squawk on the Street (Business/financial discussion). Talked about cruise line stocks and said analysts predict cruise lines will not be able to restart until second quarter 2021. 

If Cramer is saying Q2 2021, we can scratch that off the list. The only question is whether it will be earlier or later. 🙂

Edited by zekekelso

20 minutes ago, Pratique said:

The woman who was fired by the state for refusing to alter the numbers has another website now. On it is the following note:

On June 22, 2020, Governor DeSantis announced that the AHCA would no longer report the number of occupied ICU beds as it had previously been done.

Consequently, the number of available beds shown here likely includes beds that are currently occupied, but that the DeSantis administration has determined by an un-disclosed metric could be made available by removing the person occupying it.

One person who has been described as a disgruntled employee. Where are the others??? Any one person who fits the narrative gets a lot of media hype. 

My son works in the largest hospital in Florida and he says the numbers are accurate within a few based on time of day. I believe my son and he doesn’t have my political beliefs. 

SMH

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

18 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Here is another interesting article just now released regarding the high positive numbers in Florida. Please read. Investigation by the media on positive numbers. It will be interesting if true. 

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-35-investigates-hospitals-confirm-mistakes-in-floridas-covid-19-report

I read a story about a fmaily in Florida that went to get tested, filled out all the paperwork, got tired of waiting hours to get tested and went home.  Four days later they got their positive test results.  They NEVER GOT TESTED.  Who knows if that is true or not, just sayin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I read a story about a fmaily in Florida that went to get tested, filled out all the paperwork, got tired of waiting hours to get tested and went home.  Four days later they got their positive test results.  They NEVER GOT TESTED.  Who knows if that is true or not, just sayin

It sure is food for thought. It wouldn’t surprise me at all. 

SMH

M8

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

One person who has been described as a disgruntled employee. Where are the others??? Any one person who fits the narrative gets a lot of media hype. 

My son works in the largest hospital in Florida and he says the numbers are accurate within a few based on time of day. I believe my son and he doesn’t have my political beliefs. 

SMH

M8

Shake your head all you want, you can't dispute that the metric used to determine the number of available beds is not defined. it has nothing to do with disgruntled employees. It is a fact that the state changed the way they report the number of beds.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Shake your head all you want, you can't dispute that the metric used to determine the number of available beds is not defined. it has nothing to do with disgruntled employees. It is a fact that the state changed the way they report the number of beds.

Then it should affect all beds in a hospitals.  Most hospitals not an issue. The link I listed shows all beds too. Many beds can be converted to ICU and then back again. Honestly, I don’t think beds will ever be the issue. More likely staff shortages, which, although busy, are not there yet. 

M8

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

That was just mentioned in today's news conference with Miami-Dade Major Carlos Gimenez.   Apparently, it happened here in my County.  A reporter asked the question how that could have happened and the major said his office would investigate it.  I believe it was more than one family -- it was several people waiting in line who got fed up and left before being tested.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

That was just mentioned in today's news conference with Miami-Dade Major Carlos Gimenez.   Apparently, it happened here in my County.  A reporter asked the question how that could have happened and the major said his office would investigate it.  I believe it was more than one family -- it was several people waiting in line who got fed up and left before being tested.  

I wonder if that might mean others got the wrong results that were tested or more false positives?  

M8

I just remembered that the title of this thread is "Will Florida cruises start back up in August"....well I guess we already know the answer to that!   

Maybe better best to have a new thread called..."Will cruises ever start back up?"  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I wonder if that might mean others got the wrong results that were tested or more false positives?  

M8

Not sure but for the last two days in a row Florida positive numbers have been going down as are the death counts.  

2 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Not sure but for the last two days in a row Florida positive numbers have been going down as are the death counts.  

Even at 90,000 to 100,000 tests per day, it is not enough. Some indications are that testing capacity is maxed out. We do not know the error rate but certainly it is not zero.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Then it should affect all beds in a hospitals.  Most hospitals not an issue. The link I listed shows all beds too. Many beds can be converted to ICU and then back again. Honestly, I don’t think beds will ever be the issue. More likely staff shortages, which, although busy, are not there yet. 

M8

I agree in theory but the fact is that we don't know how consistently the numbers are being reported state-wide because we don't know how each hospital is calculating the number of available beds. Be thankful Florida is not at capacity because hospitals in Arizona are diverting patients now. The problem will likely get worse before it gets better with the high number of recent new cases, and no one wants to be in the ICU for COVID-19 regardless of how many beds or staff are available.

For all of the criticism of the media misrepresenting facts, the same can be said of state governments that manipulate the public data. For example, Kansas does not update the data daily. Nebraska refused to report outbreaks in meatpacking plants. It is fair to ask why Florida does not report occupied ICU beds anymore. Maybe there is a good reason not to report this number but I can't think of one other than the obvious, which is that the governor is cherry-picking the data. We should be able to see it all.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

I just remembered that the title of this thread is "Will cruises start back up in August"....well I guess we already know the answer to that!   

Maybe better best to have a new thread called..."Will cruises ever start back up?"  😉 

So many twists and turns in our thinking on cruising.

The thing is there is a war of opinions going on. Once we thought that hot weather would kill the virus, then social distancing, and flattening curve.

But really now it is the under 30 people vs the over 30 people. I guess partying and sunbathing and shopping and yes protesting is more important than behaving.

So now I like many now wonder about 2021 as I have reluctantly given up on 2020.

Heck just heard no Mummers Parade in Philadelphia this year.

I will hope for the best if my Nov cruise out of Florida goes. But somehow we got the answer when we all saw the holiday crowds on Fla beaches and all the bars of smartass folks smiling without masks and without a care in the world.

So us older folks won't get any cruises anytime soon because of the behaviour of others.  Too bad for us I guess. Youth rules the world.

2 minutes ago, Pratique said:

It is fair to ask why Florida does not report occupied ICU beds anymore. Maybe there is a good reason not to report this number but I can't think of one other than the obvious, which is that the governor is cherry-picking the data. We should be able to see it all.

Last report on Florida ICU beds: 

Hospital ICU Beds Census and Staffed Availability as Reported in ESS
To download to Excel - Click Download at the bottom right of the screen then click Cross Tab
Last Updated: 7/14/2020 1:31:18 PM

https://bi.ahca.myflorida.com/t/ABICC/views/Public/ICUBedsCounty?%3AshowAppBanner=false&%3Adisplay_count=n&%3AshowVizHome=n&%3Aorigin=viz_share_link&%3AisGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&%3Aembed=y

5 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

To download to Excel - Click Download at the bottom right of the screen then click Cross Tab

https://bi.ahca.myflorida.com/t/ABICC/views/Public/ICUBedsCounty?%3AshowAppBanner=false&%3Adisplay_count=n&%3AshowVizHome=n&%3Aorigin=viz_share_link&%3AisGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&%3Aembed=y

Available versus occupied. Not necessarily the same. The chart only shows available. How is available defined?

2 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Too bad for us I guess. Youth rules the world.

Exactly what our mayor was stressing at today's news conference.  Young people not wearing masks, not social distancing, partying in nightclubs, bars, speakeasies, boats, pontoons, etc in close proximity is what is causing the spike - not to mention the protests of late.  We can have all the testing, medical staff, ICU beds in the world but if people are not responsible it will not stop.

Miami-Dade had to go back on a curfew, close indoor dining and indoor gathering spaces back to how it was during lockdown.  A few spoil it for the rest unfortunately. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

This is a good source I use all the time. Unfortunately, in today’s world, those that don’t want to believe it don’t, and those that do, do. 

Some want us to fail at any cost. 

I hope we don’t fail. I just got this data but I’m not permitted to share the source. 

Florida 

42,602 Beds (All Beds) 

18,498 Hospitalized (All cases) 

Some will believe and some will not. The sky is not falling (yet). 

M8

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Available versus occupied. Not necessarily the same. The chart only shows available. How is 

The chart lists all beds and available. Subtract the available from total for occupied. This is all beds no matter the reason. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

23 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Florida does not report occupied ICU beds anymore.

Why does it matter?  Available or occupied?  If you have 10 beds you can’t have 11 occupied. The State preferred to report available beds. I don’t have an issue with that. They report all hospitalizations. Individual hospitals may report number of COVID19 patients. Doesn’t look like the State does. As long as plenty of beds are available, and most importantly, staff, we are holding our own. 

M8

• Like 1