Unlimited Dining Package

3 minutes ago, TXHappyCruiser said:

I purchased the unlimited dining package for my next cruise.  What did you like best about having it?  Did anyone have any issues with using it?

Loved it.  We will get it for every cruise on an Oasis class ship we take now.  B3 prepared to leave the ship in a food coma. Haven’t had any issues. 

• Like 2

We've had the UDP for our last several cruises.  We did have some trouble getting reservations for Hibachi on Allure because the venue is small.  We were able to make reservations albeit not for the time and night we wanted.

For us, the main drawback is the amount of food.  When we have a sea day, we don't eat breakfast and usually go to lunch about Noon.  Lunch at a specialty restaurant is either a burger or salad as my choice.  We have dinner about 7PM nightly and on those days we still aren't really hungry because of the amount of food at lunch.

After a day or two of feeling uncomfortable, we give up on the lunch idea and eat breakfast and then nothing until dinner and then feel we are able to enjoy the dinner more.

• Like 1

We love the dining plan and book it almost every cruise.  Regarding over-eating, we find that now that we've done the plan a few times, we actually eat less because we know we can return another night to eat the other items on the menu rather than having the mindset that we need to order 2 appetizers on night because we like them both and don't want to choose between them!

• Like 1

We loved it and would probably always do it again on a larger ship - we wouldn't be interested on the smaller ships where there are only 3 choices of restaurant. The dining experience is so much nicer in a Speciality anyway with less of a rushed feel and not so many tables crammed together.

Agree with Murphy above that you are likely to eat less at dinner since you know you can try something else on another night.

We also liked being able to use it at lunch but not for a full meal, so we had the antipasti platter for lunch sitting outside Giovannis one day, a burger at Johnny Rockets and just a few appetisers between us at Chops. The only minor issue I came up against was trying to get a takeout lunch from Izumi as I was the only one who wanted sushi for lunch. They initially said it wasn't allowed but when I pointed out that I could order at a sit down table and then claim I had an emergency and ask them to bag it up in a doggy bag, they backed down. It just seemed weird that they wouldn't allow it when they do takeout anyway and when it was clearly a lot less work for them not having to set up a table etc.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 6:41 PM, TXHappyCruiser said:

I purchased the unlimited dining package for my next cruise.  What did you like best about having it?  Did anyone have any issues with using it?

We had it on Mariner back in April 19. I loved it and will get it again as long there are more than a couple of specialty restaurants where we can use it.  We didn't get on Adventure back in Dec because the only options, for us, were Chops and Jamies.  

I never had any problems using it.  Only one issue, one time and that was at Playmakers.  I ordered wings and when I got my bill there was charge for the wings on it.  I told him I had the UDP and they took them off the bill.  The server told me to just let them know when ordering and that won't happen.  

There have been different reports about what is included at Izumi Hibachi.  For us we were able to order two proteins and weren't charged any extra.  Most reports indicate that the second protein is $4 extra. UMMV.

We have decided to get the UDP on our next cruise.  This will be our first time experiencing the UDP.   While doing a little research I read something about there being an extra charge of $10 for the Hibachi restaurant.  Has anyone experienced this?  Also do you have a problem getting the times you want since you have to wait until you are on the ship to make reservations?  We will be on Symphony of the Seas if that helps.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, rs45thompson said:

We have decided to get the UDP on our next cruise.  This will be our first time experiencing the UDP.   While doing a little research I read something about there being an extra charge of $10 for the Hibachi restaurant.  Has anyone experienced this?  Also do you have a problem getting the times you want since you have to wait until you are on the ship to make reservations?  We will be on Symphony of the Seas if that helps.

Thanks

My experience was on Mariner.  We weren't uncharged for Hibachi.  The hibachi meal was all included.  Any sushi we ordered on top of the Hibachi would have been extra.  We had no trouble getting the time we wanted.  I got onto the ship around 11am went strait to Chops and booked all our specialty dining. We had to be flexible on the time for Izumi.  I think we got 30 minutes later than I initially wanted.  The others I got exactly what I asked for.

• Like 1

Just now, Tree_skier said:

My experience was on Mariner.  We weren't uncharged for Hibachi.  The hibachi meal was all included.  Any sushi we ordered on top of the Hibachi would have been extra.  We had no trouble getting the time we wanted.  I got onto the ship around 11am went strait to Chops and booked all our specialty dining. We had to be flexible on the time for Izumi.  I think we got 30 minutes later than I initially wanted.  The others I got exactly what I asked for.

The Mariner has 6 hibachi tables unlike the other ships that only have 3 so it is much easier to get a reservation.

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Thank you so much for the information!

• Like 1

I’m curious why people say UDP is too much food.  I tend to order similar to what I would in the main dining room in the past.  Appetizer, entree and dessert.   Do people really feel the need to order multiple apps, Salad,  soup, etc?

58 minutes ago, TXHappyCruiser said:

I’m curious why people say UDP is too much food.  I tend to order similar to what I would in the main dining room in the past.  Appetizer, entree and dessert.   Do people really feel the need to order multiple apps, Salad,  soup, etc?

Maybe since specialty dining is also open for lunch, perhaps some eat a bigger lunch than they would have otherwise. With that it seems like too much food. (?)

8 hours ago, rs45thompson said:

Thank you so much for the information!

As others have said make it your first stop, skip the Promenade  kiosk and head up tp Wonderland. Wonderland, so far,  never has the line you will find at the other venues. If your ship has a Wonderland. 

Edited by taglovestocruise

8 hours ago, TXHappyCruiser said:

I think it depends on your appetite. I cant eat a salad and soup and a entree. Soup kills my appetite.

I'm not accustomed to be meals at home either tbh.

I have a question. Isnt there a limit how many time you can eat at chops?

I see a e night dining plan, is chops just allowed once. I thought 3 nights was about all I could handle as I'm not a big eater, I nibble.

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

have a question. Isnt there a limit how many time you can eat at chops?

You could eat at chops every sea day and every night for dinner.  There are no limits. 

it is only the Chops plus one where you are limited. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

17 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You could eat at chops every sea day and every night for dinner.  There are no limits. 

it is only the Chops plus one where you are limited. 

So the 3 night plan I could eat at chops all 3 nights? I probably wouldnt, I just was told chops was limited before. 

Izumi is making my mouth water. I love raw fish. I see all the fish covering the other stuff. I need to take myself out for sushi I think. 

Edited by firefly333

21 hours ago, TXHappyCruiser said:

I rarely eat 3 meals a day, even at home.  When I use the UDP, at lunch, I order only a salad or a burger as I posted earlier.  Usually, I don't eat apps or desserts. The exception to the app is at Sabor where I have the guacamole and half a quesadilla.   At dinner, I rarely order an app, just the entree with veggies and sometimes dessert.

To look at me, you'd be hard pressed to think I don't overeat, but that's why I say I feel there is too much food.  I also don't eat the bread at the restaurants other than the bun with the burger. I didn't eat any differently when we used to dine in the MDR or from what I eat at home.

I agree that it can be too much food.  At home, we normally do not eat 3 meals a day, but on a ship we will.  A big specialty lunch and an early dinner is just too much.  We are normally early dinner diners (b/c we generally skip lunch) but on a cruise, when we do the UDP (which is every time, regardless of which ship we are on), we find it necessary to eat later than we normally would.