MSC direct or TA

Fogfog

Sooo we are looking at rolling the dice on an MSC booking late summer/early fall

The TA who had previously booked our B2B in YC has suggested that instead of going through her/them--that we booked directly with MSC because "if" they cancel--she believes it will be easier to deal directly with MSC

Here's the rub-- we miss out on some of the "deal" on the TA webpage AND it means I have tackle the change without the benefit of a TA's help

Thoughts?

Is this lazy of the TA and are we better off looking for someone who wants the biz?

Or is the TA correct and dealing directly with MSC will be better?

Honestly we have another sailing booked with another line--and that's through a different BIG TA

...that one has been unreachable by phone for weeks--so to get the adjustments to the rate, with our loyalty number added etc hasn't been done yet...

We just can't get through by phone and there is no email option!!

Thoughts?

It's time for you to choose a different TA.  Even if MSC does cancel a cruise that you have booked through a new TA, let the TA deal with the hassles of getting you made whole if that is needed.  Why suffer the stress of directly dealing with the cruise line when things go haywire?  

• Like 1

If you use an agent that does group tours or otherwise a lot of business with MSC, then they have special MSC points of contact and leverage. Such an agent will also have inside information that will be to your advantage. I have never used a web/"big box" TA so I have no idea if any fit this description. I wish you well!

The large national online TA that we have used for years admitted that MSC is not his favorite line to book with.  However, he willingly agreed to do our bookings.  He had me stay on the phone while he talked to MSC; it took just a few minutes, and we got very satisfactory arrangements, including the same cabin for both weeks of our B2B.

When our second MSC cruise was cancelled, we opted for FCC rather than a refund.  The TA provided the link to do so; it was very straightforward, and we receive occasional updates.  We plan to continue using that TA for all our future cruises.

My TA almost fired me over having to deal with MSC.  She said it was absolute hell.  I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had to deal with them directly.  I used a different TA to book my third cruise with them (my TA is retiring).  That person is a high volume producer with them and even she says they are hell to deal with.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

The large national online TA that we have used for years

I have not and will not use such an agency.  Could I have saved some $$ over the years?  Probably.  But, at what sacrifice to service when I needed my personal TA's involvement in resolving an issue?  

By consistently using an experienced cruise oriented travel agency, I have benefited much more than I believe I would have done by using some big box or national online TA.

11 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

My TA almost fired me over having to deal with MSC.  She said it was absolute hell.  I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had to deal with them directly.  I used a different TA to book my third cruise with them (my TA is retiring).  That person is a high volume producer with them and even she says they are hell to deal with.

Working with MSC was a "different" experience for my TA as well.  Her agency--a good sized national  one--and she had not had many clients who wanted to book MSC.  My booking on Meraviglia proved to be a learning experience for Mary as well as me.    

3 hours ago, Bossa Nova said:

If you use an agent that does group tours or otherwise a lot of business with MSC, then they have special MSC points of contact and leverage. Such an agent will also have inside information that will be to your advantage. I have never used a web/"big box" TA so I have no idea if any fit this description. I wish you well!

I agree with you 100%. 😉

6 hours ago, Fogfog said:

The TA who had previously booked our B2B in YC has suggested that instead of going through her/them--that we booked directly with MSC because "if" they cancel--she believes it will be easier to deal directly with MSC

Absolutely do not give that TA the new booking. But absolutely use a different agent not direct. MSC can be most difficult to deal with, but that is why you have a TA. To take care of the headaches for you. That agent IMHO is making a bad example of TA's. Our job is to make sure you have the vacation of a lifetime, no matter how much or how little work we have to do to get it accomplished.

Bret

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Sooo we are looking at rolling the dice on an MSC booking late summer/early fall

The whole thread is a moot point since MSC will not be sailing late summer/ early fall.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gmbhardy said:

The whole thread is a moot point since MSC will not be sailing late summer/ early fall.

Late summer or early fall cruises MAY still sail - the jury is still out on those.  

Anyway, you missed the point.  The OP is well aware that their new cruise may not go and they were asking if it'd be better to have a TA deal with the booking and possible cancellation/refund or do it themselves by dealing with MSC directly...

• Like 3

TY everyone

I appreciate hearing your thoughts on the TA--- I suspect it is a "side" job and she's not committed to the agency etc We were trying to be loyal--assuming she got commissions and this is a B2B YC like our last one

We'll be looking for someone new/new agency for MSC sailings...

We use someone different for Regent

...and another still for Celebrity and Azamara and NCL... 

• Like 1

RKACRUISER, Perhaps I was not clear about the type of TA we use.

Although their website is where I find most or all of the info I want for researching cruises, we do have a Human there who is our personal TA.  He is familiar with our preferences, has our relevant data on file (including discount categories we are eligible for), and is available 24/7 in case we have any problems (and has backup staff as well).

When we are ready to book a cruise (the company's main area of travel), I email or call him.  He gets his information together, calls me, and we go over the choices, price, etc.  It is far from impersonal!  The only difference is that I am not sitting in an office with him.  (I used to do that, locally; it was not very convenient.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

TY everyone

I appreciate hearing your thoughts on the TA--- I suspect it is a "side" job and she's not committed to the agency etc..

I wonder if this is another agency who prefers not to work with MSC?  I regularly use 3 agencies and two flat out refuse to sell MSC due to their lack of customer service (this is pre-covid). I've never heard of an agency refusing to do business with a cruise company until I started sailing on MSC.  Just another way that MSC is different from the main stream lines :).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I wonder if this is another agency who prefers not to work with MSC?  I regularly use 3 agencies and two flat out refuse to sell MSC due to their lack of customer service (this is pre-covid). I've never heard of an agency refusing to do business with a cruise company until I started sailing on MSC.  Just another way that MSC is different from the main stream lines :).

Hi Bermuda

I dont think its the agency--as we can book MSC online with them--  We had gotten her in the initial booking when we called the number-- We wanted to get the same  cabin for the B2B and had some other things to attend to.

we were trying to be nice, loyal and make sure she got the coin...

I realize MSC can be a pill.. but this is 2 YC B2B fares -- we'd be losing cash back not using her..

Am going to look for a new TA and see what they can do

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fogfog said:

We use someone different for Regent

...and another still for Celebrity and Azamara and NCL... 

Why do you do this?  I have found that being a consistent client with one agent/agency allows you to develop a relationship that has benefited me.

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Why do you do this?  I have found that being a consistent client with one agent/agency allows you to develop a relationship that has benefited me.

The big box TAs gave better deals with the main lines 

The specialty TA for Regent was a rec from someone who sails Regent OFTEN (super highest loyalty) and rec. the TA as good.

So we thought we'd give it a go. The Regent sailing isn't til 2021 so time will tell if he's as good as they said. The TA that handles Regent and other lux brands does not handle the main line lower brands

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

RKACRUISER, Perhaps I was not clear about the type of TA we use.

Although their website is where I find most or all of the info I want for researching cruises, we do have a Human there who is our personal TA.  He is familiar with our preferences, has our relevant data on file (including discount categories we are eligible for), and is available 24/7 in case we have any problems (and has backup staff as well).

When we are ready to book a cruise (the company's main area of travel), I email or call him.  He gets his information together, calls me, and we go over the choices, price, etc.  It is far from impersonal!  The only difference is that I am not sitting in an office with him.  (I used to do that, locally; it was not very convenient.)

shipgeeks, I appreciate your explanation!  It has been my impression of these large internet agencies that booking with them is quite impersonal.  Being able to contact a specific person who knows you and your booking details because that person made them a more desirable option.  

I am one who used 3 local agencies from 1970-2007 and one of those for another cruise around 2012.  I liked the ability--no, I enjoyed the ability--to sit down and discuss my plans face to face and to be there as the actual bookings were made.  2008, trying to use my agent/agency to book a world cruise was the turning point.  My agent could not provide the pricing nor the additional amenities that a another national agency was offering.  She tried to convince her Manager that they were going to loose a good client.  (I was very, very reluctant to try to book such an expensive trip via phone and e-mail without really knowing the agent at the other end of the line.)  The Manager either would not or could not "sweeten" my price/amenities available.  As Judy knew I would do, I booked with the Seattle agency.  I regreted doing so because I very much appreciated Judy's help in the past.  But, as a true professional, she understood and still kept in touch with me until she retired.  

• Like 1

Thank you, rka.  (By the way, I was not shouting at you previously; by the time I scrolled down I forgot whether you were all caps or not.)

I originally went to a TA whose office was near my job.  She was nice, but.....

Somehow we came across the website for the agency we use now.  The wealth of information, the accuracy, and the prices led us to browsing them frequently, while still booking through an acquaintance, or, one time, direct with the cruiseline.  Finally, I felt that as we had availed ourselves of their vast information for so long, we had an ethical obligation to give them our business.  We have now been with them for ten years or more.  Everything has always been done right.  They have apparently weathered the covid crisis (all 800 employees working from home until recently, taking care of 23 cancellations for every one booking), and I have great confidence that they will be around for a long time and continue to do well for us.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I felt that as we had availed ourselves of their vast information for so long, we had an ethical obligation to give them our business.  We have now been with them for ten years or more.  Everything has always been done right.

All excellent reasons for "staying the course".  That is what I tried to do with my local agents.  My first agent passed away and the agency went out of business.  Agency #2 and my agent (who did an excellent job) was acquired by a national auto travel agency, but my agent remained with them.  It was agency #3's management that caused me to take my $$ elsewhere.  

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 5:13 PM, rkacruiser said:

I will jump in with our own answer to your question.  Over the years we have cruised on 15 cruise lines (a 16th is booked) and we always use cruise agencies because of superior service and substantial financial benefits.  On average we save 7-10% on every booking by using cruise agencies vs booking direct.  Since we do take longer and more expensive cruises our savings can amount to well over $1000 on a single booking.   Like the other poster, we use several different cruise agencies.  The reason?  Some agencies have better relationships (and deals) with specific cruise lines.  For example, we use one agency from most CCL Products (HAL, Princess, and Seabourn) and another agency for our RCI products (Azamara and Celebrity).  Most recently we sought out another agency to book our first Oceania cruise since some agencies can offer slightly more savings on that particular line.  As to MSC, we use the same agency we use for CCL cruises since they are willing to deal with MSC.  That particular line is not handled by some agencies.

For many years we have advised cruisers to "shop around" for the best deals (and decent service).  I have never found a single agency that offers the best deals (or even close to the best deals) on every cruise line.

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Some agencies have better relationships (and deals) with specific cruise lines.  For example, we use one agency from most CCL Products (HAL, Princess, and Seabourn) and another agency for our RCI products (Azamara and Celebrity).  Most recently we sought out another agency to book our first Oceania cruise since some agencies can offer slightly more savings on that particular line.  As to MSC, we use the same agency we use for CCL cruises since they are willing to deal with MSC.  That particular line is not handled by some agencies.

Thanks for jumping into the discussion!

Since most of my cruise business is with a CCL operating company, they also were willing to work with MSC.  If I decide to book a cruise with another cruise line outside of the CCL umbrella in the future, I will keep your experience in mind.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Since most of my cruise business is with a CCL operating company, they also were willing to work with MSC. 

In my case, there is no relation between selling CCL and to refusing to sell MSC. Like Hlitner, I have three primary agencies I work with for the exact reasons described. BUT, two of those three will not sell MSC any longer but will absolutely sell everything under the CCL umbrella. Both agencies stopped dealing with MSC largely due to the way they treated their clients and the lack of  ability to get a resolution when there was an issue.  

• 1 month later...

Hey there

In the end we booked with the same agency but different agent

World of difference. This one is really on top of things

Although there have been weird things on the website--she's be able to assure us our cabin for B2B is indeed secured. Lets hope it stays that way

OBCs in place etc... 

We've gone ahead and booked 3 sailings with her.

I had reached out to several other TAs found online etc...and despite multiple phone calls and email--they never responded. I had even reached out via the agency FB pages. 

17 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Hey there

In the end we booked with the same agency but different agent

World of difference. This one is really on top of things

Although there have been weird things on the website--she's be able to assure us our cabin for B2B is indeed secured. Lets hope it stays that way

OBCs in place etc... 

We've gone ahead and booked 3 sailings with her.

I had reached out to several other TAs found online etc...and despite multiple phone calls and email--they never responded. I had even reached out via the agency FB pages. 

I think (actually know) that MSC has driven some cruise agents nutz,...in the past few weeks.  The cruise line made several ship changes (primarily for the Caribbean market) for later this Fall and winter.  Because the ships are not identical (such as Seaside to Mergaviglia) cabin assignments are all over the place.  In some cases folks are OK with the changes, but other changes border on the outrageous (such as somebody being switched from a YC Suite with Balcony to an inside cabin).

While COVID-19 has created many issues for the cruise lines, all these ship changes are a bit over the top.

Hank