S3 cabins

rollie

We booked an S3 on Edge, so we have the same question.  I'm sure you are aware that the S3s are between the rails of the Magic Carpet, but we are banking on that not being such a big deal.

Tom & Judy

I also recent booked an S3 on the Apex.  In doing some searching here, I've seen some comments about lack of privacy on what I'll call the outside end cabins ( there is a block of 4 cabins on each deck so 2 outside end cabins and 2 that are in the center) due to the side windows.  I saw other comments from people who had at least one deck between their cabin and the deck the Magic Carpet stopped on and they said there were no issues at all, while others commented with the MC right above them they didn't really like looking at the bottom of it all the time.

The post that solidified my decision to book was from someone who was in a center cabin a couple decks away from where the MC stopped and said they never really noticed it, had good privacy and with the discounted price felt they good a deal compared to some of the other cabins.   That post also had some additional comments of people agreeing with the OP.  I've searched now, but can't seem to easily find those posts again.  Maybe someone else will chime in with some links or additional comments.

My S3 was $600 PP less than an S2 and $700 PP less than an S1.  I just couldn't see paying a total $1,400 more to be in the same center point of the ship but on the port side if I can get the same view on the starboard side.  In fact, it may be interesting to see the MC go by a couple times.

• Thanks 1

My cruise on Edge was sadly cancelled.

I booked a S2 vs. an S3 because the price wasn't that much more and I wanted to experience the bed facing out.

However, my notes say the S3 balconies are bigger.

However, Deck 7 sometimes is obstructed by the top of the Magic Carpet.  

Thanks Oville, I used this photo from one of your previous posts when contemplating my cabin selection.  While I thought having that added bow or aft view would be great while sitting on the balcony, but after seeing this I decided to take one of the middle cabins to gain some added privacy. 

I did an S1 on edge and had a view like the post above of the S3 balconies.

One thing that was kind of a bummer is the S1 balcony cannot have two lounge chairs - there isn’t enough room no matter how you place them. Our butler brought one and he said there isn’t a way to make 2 fit.

But when looking at the S3 balconies, most if not all that I could see had two loungers side by side facing the ocean.

If I ever did Edge class again I would probably do an S3 instead as the balcony experience is a big deal to us and the S1 really disappointed.

I'm in an S3 for a December 2021 cruise on Apex (originally a November 2020 cruise on Edge -- did the Lift & Shift).  I'm in 12152, and before I booked it really looked around for any negative comments.  Still haven't seen anything that's made me question booking it.

We had a forward facing corner S3 on the Edge on deck 8 last year and we loved the suite so much that for our January 2021 we booked the identical room but on deck 7 (the deck 8 one wasn't available).

We especially appreciated the extra large balcony and the fact these rooms have a double door with a short private hallway between them.

This hallway is used if you book both the S3 and the adjoining Infinite Verandah to make a private shared entrance. If you don't book both rooms, the door from the private hallway to the verandah room remains locked and only the S3 uses the entrance. This made for a very quiet room,  because the suite's living areas are more isolated from the public hallways. 

Here are some some pictures from our S3. 

IMG_20190420_080555.jpg

IMG_20190420_080347.jpg

IMG_20190420_080415.jpg

IMG-20190414-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20190414-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20190414-WA0002.jpg

Edited by [g]cruiserke
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the photos....very helpful.

Hope you will cross reference with the E class review thread.

Room and large outdoor  balcony look lovely..

In the next to last photo, what is the white  structure..and is it in a fixed position? Did it bother you in any way?

5 minutes ago, hcat said:

In the next to last photo, what is the white  structure..and is it in a fixed position? Did it bother you in any way?

That's the gangway in Port Everglades, I took the picture when we were still docked. As we didn't take the gangway with us once the cruise departed, it didn't bother us in the slightest 😂

Edited by [g]cruiserke
  • Haha 2

We were in an S1 book toured the S3 as a friend had it on the Edge.  I would suggest you change to an S1 or 2 if available. Preferably on the other side of the ship. The rails as shown in pictures, hamper your view.  In addition, you might experience noise from the Edge bar/restaurant at night that could disturb your sleep.    However, you get the suite perks which are wonderful and if that is all that is available, and you don't mind noise, go for it

42 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We were in an S1 book toured the S3 as a friend had it on the Edge.  I would suggest you change to an S1 or 2 if available. Preferably on the other side of the ship. The rails as shown in pictures, hamper your view.  In addition, you might experience noise from the Edge bar/restaurant at night that could disturb your sleep.    However, you get the suite perks which are wonderful and if that is all that is available, and you don't mind noise, go for it

We never experienced any noise whatsoever from the Magic Carpet (MC) in our deck 8 Sky Suite. The MC spends most of its time on deck 14 and during our cruise it was only lowered to function as an extension of the Five on Raw restaurant on deck 5 for lunch when the ship was docked and it never moved from its deck 14 position when the ship was at sea.  

For what it's worth, we also did not find the orange railings to be intrusive whatsoever. You can see from my pictures earlier in this thread that from most vantage points in the cabin or from the balcony, you can't even see them. Of course, everybody has their personal tolerance and appreciation for what constitutes an intrusion on their sight lines. Yours are obviously different than mine, if you found  the MC to be a nuisance during your visit to your friend's S3.

23 hours ago, [g]cruiserke said:

That's the gangway in Port Everglades, I took the picture when we were still docked. As we didn't take the gangway with us once the cruise departed, it didn't bother us in the slightest 😂

Thanks so much for posting your pictures  We feel much better now, for booking this cabin.  Did you ask your butler for the lounger to be added to your balcony?  My DH would love to have a lounger on the balcony.

Rollie

14 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

The cabin looks small, especially if it’s called a suite.   The balcony, however does look fabulous!

I think the sky suite cabins are all the same size.  The configuration is a little different.

Rollie

3 minutes ago, rollie said:

Thanks so much for posting your pictures  We feel much better now, for booking this cabin.  Did you ask your butler for the lounger to be added to your balcony?  My DH would love to have a lounger on the balcony.

Rollie

Yes, we asked the butler for the lounger. There was ample room for two loungers, but we only needed one.

4 hours ago, rollie said:

I think the sky suite cabins are all the same size.  The configuration is a little different.

Rollie

The S3 is 292 and the S2 and S1 are 319.  That’s OK the Retreat areas are all the same!

On 6/8/2020 at 5:38 AM, [g]cruiserke said:

We had a forward facing corner S3 on the Edge on deck 8 last year and we loved the suite so much that for our January 2021 we booked the identical room but on deck 7 (the deck 8 one wasn't available).

Do you remember the cabin number?

What I would miss in a S3 is the bed facing the ocean with the window opening from the bathroom so that you can see the ocean from the bathroom.  I don't know if the S3's have that window, but I think not.

10 minutes ago, Doctor G said:

What I would miss in a S3 is the bed facing the ocean with the window opening from the bathroom so that you can see the ocean from the bathroom.  I don't know if the S3's have that window, but I think not.

No, the S3's do not have that feature.  We like to occasionally watch a movie while laying in bed so we are ok with it.  I like that they created options to suit a variety of needs and likes unlike some of the other categories.